SASS Wire Forum

It Ain't Easy Getting Old

Subdeacon Joe

That's the way I've been for a long time. That's why I drive a pickup truck. In the unlikely event that I managed to get into a low sitting car, there ain't no way in hell I could get out of it.

I wondered if he was going to be able to get up off the floor without assistance. But I see he climbed up the rear wheel. :lol: Yeeeaaaaahhhh, I been there for a while too.

14 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My next door neighbor, age 83, sold his 2016 Corvette for just that reason.  Said he came home from church and wet himself because he couldn't get out of the car in time.

I did the same thing sold my Corvette convertible when I couldn’t get out of it with the top up

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I might have posted this a few months ago.   Worth another look.

https://youtube.com/shorts/SHgCP_gHOuU?feature=share

After driving large trucks, with step bars...it gets harder and harder to get out of our Pontiac!

Getting fatter every year doesn't help much either!

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

That's the way I've been for a long time. That's why I drive a pickup truck. In the unlikely event that I managed to get into a low sitting car, there ain't no way in hell I could get out of it.

I wondered if he was going to be able to get up off the floor without assistance. But I see he climbed up the rear wheel. :lol: Yeeeaaaaahhhh, I been there for a while too.

I was on my knees by my gun cart one match picking up a .38 round I'd dropped when one of the other shooters saw me and joked, "Praying Doc?" I looked at him and said, "Yeah, Praying I can get up!"

24 minutes ago, Doc X said:

I was on my knees by my gun cart one match picking up a .38 round I'd dropped when one of the other shooters saw me and joked, "Praying Doc?" I looked at him and said, "Yeah, Praying I can get up!"

I have lately started asking people at the grocery store - sometimes store employees, but sometimes just random customers - if they would get something off the bottom shelf for me, because if I got down on the floor to get it I would not be able to get back to my feet.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I have lately started asking people at the grocery store - sometimes store employees, but sometimes just random customers - if they would get something off the bottom shelf for me, because if I got down on the floor to get it I would not be able to get back to my feet.

When I was at the store the other day  I saw  a  lady  using one  of  those "Grabber" things to pick things up from the lower shelf and get things from higher shelves.

I asked her  where she got it.  She said  Amazon. I ordered one for use in my garage. The jaws are horizontal.  The one I have has the jaws vertical and it's awkward.

Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-FitPlus-Premium-Reacher-Warranty/dp/B06XH4ZZL9/ref=asc_df_B06XH4ZZL9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167132090312&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2255936790588456710&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031594&hvtargid=pla-307404760226&th=1

SWMBO has one that you can turn the jaws on.

Try a handicapped supply dealer selling those kinds of devices.

That's where we bought hers.

I have a 77 Corvette.  It needs brake work - some 15 years ago. It's been parked up on stands. 

Getting in and out was more of a problem with my big feet.  Once I get in, my feet have only one place to go.  Even with AC,  the heat was awful.  

Now we have a different struggle.   We have a F150 4WD.  It sets up high and the seats are built such they give thigh support that makes it even harder to mount up.  If I use the running board to step up,  I find I have pain in my left knee from stepping and turning.  

I'd like to trade into a SUV of some kind .... but... Sawmill Mary says we're farmers and have drive a PU.  

Getting Old is easy !!!

Being Old Ain't !!!

The first comes a sneaking up on you ,,,,,, the second seems to contain a lot of pain...

I always knew I would get OLD, I just didn't expect it so soon !!!

Jabez Cowboy 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I can still get in and out of my Miata almost gracefully. :lol:

Meee Tooo...!  ^_^

605466872_ZeldaandRod2.JPG.60856844782a9b9d1ee4da7c030d6f28.JPG

1991777534_ZeldaandHardpan1.thumb.jpg.d5d2305aadb5e3439e322aae7ad9ab4e.jpg

Why would he want to put the top up? You only need the top up if it's raining, and it never rains in California. And then of course if you have the canvas top up, some of the local utes would be bound to test out the cutting abilities of their switchblades on it.

3 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I've heard the song and it specifically mentions "Southern California" .......   -_-

If it rained in California, California would not catch fire every year. And California would not have to import drinking water from their border states.

On 7/28/2021 at 10:38 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

My wife said I could buy a new Corvette if I could get in and out of it. Our garage does not have a Corvette in it.

Did she say it had to be done gracefully?

The video is how I got out of the '04 last time.  It was easy to get into as the average buyer at the time was 60.  It also had proper pedal spacing, the '95 pedals were so tight I had to remove the right shoe before driving.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:11 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I was at the store the other day  I saw  a  lady  using one  of  those "Grabber" things to pick things up from the lower shelf and get things from higher shelves.

I asked her  where she got it.  She said  Amazon. I ordered one for use in my garage. The jaws are horizontal.  The one I have has the jaws vertical and it's awkward.

Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-FitPlus-Premium-Reacher-Warranty/dp/B06XH4ZZL9/ref=asc_df_B06XH4ZZL9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167132090312&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2255936790588456710&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031594&hvtargid=pla-307404760226&th=1

Manually squeeze the jaws to relieve tension, try to rotate the handle.  Some are fixed and some will rotate.  

I prefer this model hung on a tea cup hook.  Otherwise you'll need a grabber to pick up your grabber.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/hand-tools/pickup-tools/2301190

22 hours ago, Doc X said:

How about with the top up? 

No problem, although if I don't take my hat off it'll get knocked off during entrance/egress.  ^_^

21 hours ago, Alpo said:

Why would he want to put the top up? You only need the top up if it's raining, and it never rains in California. And then of course if you have the canvas top up, some of the local utes would be bound to test out the cutting abilities of their switchblades on it.

When I bought my '02 Miata about six years ago, it had an almost new canvas top.  But someone had just done exactly that - sliced the hell out of it.  Two cuts, one 7" and one 13".  The PO had unfortunately effected a "field expedient repair" with duct tape.  Yuck!

Well, I was a mite reluctant to shell out a grand or more for a replacement at that time.  So, I removed the tape, and after studying the wounds, broke out the suturing instruments.  Closed the incisions, dressed them with black silicone, painted over the duct tape residue and Voila!  Didn't look half bad and six years later still doesn't leak a drop.  Perfectly functional.  Not as pretty as another new top, but the top-up aesthetics weren't worth the $$.

After sutures, before silicone and paint:  :(

951307631_Fronkenshteen1.thumb.jpg.41e7d984afd799b7cdb5b3414df09356.jpg

I dropped the mechanic's creeper on the floor.  Then I laid down on the creeper and rolled under the RV looking for a loose wire.  Rolled back out and lifted my legs up and then back down quickly to get my body torso up into a sitting position like I've always done.  Didn't work.  Like the gentleman in the youtube I hand to roll over on the floor first then use the RV bumper to get me back into a standing position.   I've come to the conclusion  that creeper must be defective.  :(

Archived