SASS Wire Forum

Pistol "Pair" Considerations/Questions

Howdy All,

I'm brand new to SASS and have been trying to find a pair of pistols for a few months now with no luck. I would love to find a pair of SASS New Vaquero's but I don't think they are currently coming off the production line and if you see them on the wire they get poached and resold on gunbroker for a huge mark up. I have only  been able to find 2 single New Vaquero's but not in the perfect configuration that I think I want (.357, stainless, 4.6" barrel). I have been able to find 2 New Vaquero's in different finishes and barrel lengths BUT both in .357. I did buy a stainless in .357 with a 5.5" barrel figuring I could always just get it cut down if need be, but at least i have at least one New Vaquero. 

So my questions are, with todays market in mind,

1. does it make sense to get 2 pistols in 2 different configurations? or wait to find matching ones? (mainly focusing on the finishes on the pistols)  

2. Does having a completely mixed matched "set" make any sense? 

3. would it make sense to buy a blued, 4.6" to have to either trade/sell for a stainless later on, or wait till i find another new vaquero in either stainless or blued, which would then give me a set? 

4. does blued vs stainless really make a difference?

Basically, should i pick up what i can get now, and work with what i got? or not?

i have no problem spending the extra money on extra guns, they can always be used as a back up, or putting the money into cutting the barrels if that gets me to shooting matches sooner. I've already purchased good leather, and found a rifle on the wire, and ammo is another concern altogether. 

Sorry for the long winded ramblings, and i hope this makes sense, but if anyone has any ideas or advice for a new shooter, ill take anything i can get! just want to start shootin'!

-Bowdire

No, they do not need to be the same pistol type or caliber.

Get what floats your boat!

I have lots of different types/calibers & love every one!

Different calibers, different barrel lengths, different finishes!

TOO MUCH FUN!! 

--Dawg 

In today's world, if you can afford it, I would buy what I could find.

Eventually you will get a match (if you want) or you may find your current desire does not match what you grow into later.

I started with NMV 357 with the shorter barrels because a local fast shooter told me the short guns cleared leather faster and would therefore be a faster set of pistols.

Found I could not see the front sight well enough to hit targets consistently at speed!

Tried a set of GWII but never really liked the trigger or its break.

Used a longer pair of Rugers (5.5 inch blued I think they started at 7.5 and he cut the barrels) that I borrowed and instantly was more accurate.

Pard did not want to sell them, couldn't find a similar pair so settled for a pair of OMV stainless 5.5 inch and fell in love.

More weight killed any recoil regardless of load, stayed on target for me much better and the grips fit like a Brick!

Replaced the grips with Eagle slim Gunfighters  and cannot visualize ever changing to anything else.

Point is that it can take a while to get what is "perfect" for you so get what you can and come out and shoot with us!!!

BTW Welcome!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

It's so sad to see folks like you struggling just to find the basic equipment to buy and being unsuccessful.   We can only hope it won't always be this way.  

If you can afford to duplicate expenditures while looking, then I would agree with the others here.  Buy what you can get to shoot with now, (without being ripped off), and figure on continuing the search until you find what you like.  Having a safe full of different guns isn't a problem, after all.

Prices are insane right now - I've seen good clean USED .357 New Vaqueros selling for $1000 - $1200 over the past few months. Bud's in Kentucky lists 92 variations of Blackhawks & Vaqueros, and hasn't had a single one in five months or more. Allegedly, Ruger is concentrating on plastic autos and their AR15 platform, and may not even be producing single actions at this time, yet recently bumped their MSRP to $989. :blink:

6 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Ruger is concentrating on plastic autos and their AR15 platform, and may not even be producing single actions at this time, yet recently bumped their MSRP to $989. :blink:

The law of unintended consequences. The cost of steel has more than doubled in three months. 

I'm kinda wondering what prices will be like when all them folks that panic bought last year start unloading them shooters they don't use, but bought because it was all the LGS had.

I used to following definition of "matched pair."   Two pistols of the same model, barrel length, finish and caliber.

I consider a second generation Colt and a modern made SAA Clone to be the same "model"

I'd say about 90% of the time, I don't shoot a matched pair of pistols.   Usually I try to make them both in the same caliber for simplicity, but not always.

There's just something fun about having a Walker on your left hip., and a Dragoon on your right.   Or pairing a Buntline with a Sheriff's model, or a Smith and Wesspn New Model 3 with an antique Colt.

Havre fun!   That's the bottom line.   Get what you like.   If they happen to be a matched pair, or close to being one, great.   If they are not, don't worry about it.

I would concentrate on same caliber. As a new shooter will make your life alot easier for now. Cimarron model p, pietta frontier, very nice clones that shoot well. I would right now not hesitate to mix manufacturers or barrel lengths until find what you really want. If you have shot just rugers try clones. There are reasonable clones on gunbroker that would serve nicely. 

I bought two simple plow handle 4.75" revolvers to start.  Everyone will tell you to try everyone else's guns and that's not terrible advice, but my thought was that no matter where my interests go, having a pair of 4.75" revolvers in the safe can't hurt anything--they are kinda universally useful.  5.5" would be fine as well.

First, you've got really good pistols right now. Be patient to find what you want, learn to shoot these well. Concentrate on getting a 357 rifle if you don't already have one. If so, you are in a very good spot right now. Matching guns look classy, but don't forget that you can go for the Rafe from Crossfire Trail look with completely different guns too.

If you are really serious about competing then match them up.  Ruger Blackhawks are also a consideration if you are going to shoot an age based category.  

I faced this dilemma as well. I just couldn’t afford or find what I wanted (or thought I wanted) I started trading stuff that was at the back of the safe for whatever was available at my LGS. I’m still a couple of months from using the 45’s, but plan on running this mismatched set:

Ended up with a second 4-3/4” in trade to act as a backup 

E76B97FA-5E06-4F7D-9E6C-D921AFF034F8.jpeg

Watch the used market.  I've seen some nice guns go at reasonable prices right here on the classified.  There are many cowboy action shooters getting out or cutting down on their accumulation.  Get to your local match and spread the word.   Go to any larger match and there will be guns available.  Take cash. 

Be patient, Ruger Vaquero's pop up on Gunbroker and other sources every week. Let local clubs know what you're looking fore. I have bought, traded and sold four sets of Vaquero's in the last nine months. Ended up with one more pair than I started with. Here in the Classified run a WTB add. It seems you just aren't looking hard enough. They do not fall off trees but can be had but wright now, not cheap.

My current main match pistols are a 7.5" and 5.5" ROA's. I shoot Frontiersman. But also have a pair of ss OMV's in 357 with the 4.75" barrels. My other cartridge guns are USFA in 44 spcl with 7.5" barrels and also have 44wcf cylinders for them. The bottom line is get what you like and what fits your budget. I can miss equally as fast with any pair of my pistols....But I always try to have fun.

Check with John Barleycorn he seems to come into a few pairs of Vaqueros as of late. Good man to deal with. He would be in the vendor section not in the classified portion.

Hochbauer

if you just buy to get started then buy , but before you start trading and buying and selling a lot think about how this works for you then invest in a matched set of whatever that is , it will save you a lot of money and time over the years , 

i still have my original revolver and its still a missmatch set - ill keep it to remind me i already knew what i liked before i started buying/selling and wasting time and money , i now have two set of matched revolvers after a couple decades , buying and selling is fine when you wish to experiment or have something a little different to play with but for main match settle on what works best .....even a poor stooter like me can see a difference in the results 

PM sent.

I started CAS just a few years ago. I no longer use any of the guns that I shot on the first match. In fact, one of the guns was one that I had borrowed and another was a gift from a relative that wanted to help me get started. 

I think the point is to get started with what you have or can find. You need some meets under your belt to know what you want to shoot, and what fits you. You may even change styles. I started with B Western, and gravitated to double duelist. I've switched calibers occasionally and now use shorter barreled revolvers. 

BB

It sounds like you have two questions.  The first is does it make sense to start now with mismatched pistols if that's all you can get.  Given you said you're not worried about the money, I think the answer is yes.  Buy some pistols and get started.

The second is what level of 'matching' is called for to be competitive.  I shoot a set of SASS NMVs in .357, 4.62 barrels, SS, set up by Jimmy Spurs.  Visually I can tell the difference because over the years they've each picked up a bit of distinctive wear.  By feel and when shooting them, they are indistinguishable, which is important to me.  

The fact that they both have the same finish matters because I prefer stainless to blued for lower maintenance requirements.  From a cosmetic perspective I don't really care.  The fact that they have sequential serial numbers doesn't matter to me from a performance perspective, but does have some impact on resale value if I were to choose to get rid of them (highly unlikely).

I prefer matched revolvers as many if not most do/use by my oberservation, however, I've seen some shooters use mismatched guns regularly for whatever reason to no detriment to their stage time/result and I've seen other purposely use mismatched revolvers for hoots and hollers. One example: a Walker and an 1851. Myself, I am getting set up to use a Schofield paired with an open top.

IMHO, the pistols should match in the following aspects:

• Trigger pull shouldn't differ much
  • Same POA/POI. You shouldn't have to remember which revolver shoots where...
  • Same sight picture. This can include also the finish as in some lighting conditions stainless and blue can look quite different.
  • Same caliber. It just simplifies things a lot, especially if the rifle matches the caliber, too. At some clubs you can still encounter a reload now and then, or you reload because of a jacked out rifle round or a FTF in one of your revolvers. And two different calibers in your pistols are either that close that confusing rounds is likely to happen (45 Colt / 44-40) or are that different that the feel is very different (recoil, barrel weight).
  • I think you can mix barrel length as long the points above are not concerned and both revolvers feel good to you.
  • Same grip style. Don't mix bisleys with plow handles etc.

Equanimous Phil

4 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

IMHO, the pistols should match in the following aspects:

• Trigger pull shouldn't differ much
  • Same POA/POI. You shouldn't have to remember which revolver shoots where...
  • Same sight picture. This can include also the finish as in some lighting conditions stainless and blue can look quite different.
  • Same caliber. It just simplifies things a lot, especially if the rifle matches the caliber, too. At some clubs you can still encounter a reload now and then, or you reload because of a jacked out rifle round or a FTF in one of your revolvers. And two different calibers in your pistols are either that close that confusing rounds is likely to happen (45 Colt / 44-40) or are that different that the feel is very different (recoil, barrel weight).
  • I think you can mix barrel length as long the points above are not concerned and both revolvers feel good to you.
  • Same grip style. Don't mix bisleys with plow handles etc.

Equanimous Phil

I agree that having both pistols in the same caliber is helpful.   If they are going to be different, they should be very different.  It's hard to mix up a .45 Colt with a .38 S&W, for example.  A .45 and a .44 Magnum...  Well, be careful.  

But for the others, I think those things are only likely to be a factor if you shoot both pistols with the same hand.   If you shoot one pistol right handed and the other left handed, all of those differences are not as dramatic.

Archived