SASS Wire Forum

DIY Gunfighter Grips

Tequila Shooter

I have an extra set of wooden grips and I’ve been thinking of thinning them out.  I thought that I should see who’s been successful and get any tips or tricks before I start.  The grips that I’m going to be working with are stock grips from a Pietta SAA. 

Howdy Tequila.

I have 'thinned' my grips by taking off some of the wide section at the lower portion

of the grip panels.

BUT..... I don't think anything I might do is a universal help for everyone.   Some folks don't

like the feel of my grips, some do.

It all a matter of YOUR hand and how it fits on the size of grip panels you have on your pistols.

If you have an extra set, you might have to just experiment with them by reshaping them

a little at a time to get the 'feel' you prefer.

..........Widder

When Evil Roy was working on the development of the ER pistol with Cimarron, he used a band saw to thin the grips of a Model P.  It was ugly as sin but he shot them that way for a long time.

I, too, would like to thin some wood grips.  Wondering if a belt sander would be good for that?

19 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

When Evil Roy was working on the development of the ER pistol with Cimarron, he used a band saw to thin the grips of a Model P.  It was ugly as sin but he shot them that way for a long time.

I, too, would like to thin some wood grips.  Wondering if a belt sander would be good for that?

Use a very fine belt and go really slow. Hard to put wood back.

Yep, I've done probably for 4 pairs of guns, 1851s and Ruger Bisley stock grips. I used a belt sander slowly and carefully. I'm shooting the Mason conversions, pictured lately and Love 'em! Better than the stock for me. I haven't refinished them yet, just shootin' them. Hope that this helps. Preacherman

20210727_152049.jpg

20210727_152131.jpg

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Not too likely to fit a Pietta. ;)

I had a friend make 2 sets of two piece thin grip panels for my 1860 Armys.  I'll take pictures tomorrow or the next day and post them.

How I confirmed the need for me to use thinner grips was to shoot 3 passes with factory grips at a plate rack set at 4 yards and record the number of misses. Then I replaced the stock grips with thinner ones and repeated the process. My misses went down about 20 percent with the thinner grips. 

Have made 2 sets of extended grips for my usfa's. First single grip panel was not so good but was practical experience. I use a belt sander upside down bolted to my bench. a dremel with a sanding drum on it set very slowly and a sanding drum on a variable speed drill. The biggest thing is very little at a time and refit often and feel it in your hands to see if you like it. Takes time and not something to rush, but when you are done they are uniquely yours.

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I was thinking that I’d put the grips on the gun and use a palm sander, other than being careful not to scratch the gun, anyone see any potential issues?

I tried that once thinking same thing, always that one slipup.

11 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I was thinking that I’d put the grips on the gun and use a palm sander, other than being careful not to scratch the gun, anyone see any potential issues?

A lot of potential problems.  Mask off the metal with tape (I used masking tape when I made pistol grips, but by this point, I was hand sanding for fit and finish).

Most of the rough work was done with a disk sander mounted in a small lathe, and a drum also mounted in the lathe for the inside.  Then a lot of hand work.  These could use a polish after sitting for several years, the top one is from one of my personal guns:

IMG_1033.thumb.JPG.05627125c13ff0bfd75087bc35b0a6c8.JPGFullSizeRender.jpg.a19c29e35d70f8a660d8d6df182e2514.jpg

Archived