SASS Wire Forum

Front sight on 73 carbine

Miss Weev

If you want to go to a larger bead on the front sight of a carbine, do you have to pull the band off of the magazine and barrel to do this?

I wanted a larger bead on my carbine. I used a winchester LPP. Popped the anvil out, punched the firing pin dent out, notched the edge out to fit around the existing sight, and a dab of jb weld. Been there well over a year. 

That works for me,  have done several.

5 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I wanted a larger bead on my carbine. I used a winchester LPP. Popped the anvil out, punched the firing pin dent out, notched the edge out to fit around the existing sight, and a dab of jb weld. Been there well over a year. 

On Don Jorge's rifle, I cut a dovetail in the barrel for a front sight with interchangable beads. I cut the front sight off the band and smoothed it all. I would post a pic but my phone won't let me. I'll send you a pic on Facebook. 

Some years ago I bought a '73 Carbine in .38 SPL from a travelling cowboy.  This was before factory modified barrel bands were made.

The front sight was a shotgun bead (ball).  As the carbine was slicked up...including a changed/welded lever...I assumed that the bead was part of the "package."  If all else fails, cutting down the front sight and drilling and tapping for a shotgun sight might work.

I remember when Captain George Baylor reviewed large sight options, including those brass weathervanes you could glue over an existing front sight.  The gist of it was that if the large front sight modification blocked your view of the target, wait until it is completely obscured and PULL THE TRIGGER.  The target is behind the front sight!

Beanster

Archived