SASS Wire Forum

Ain't technology wonderful?

In got a brand new cell phone with a new number.  I activated it about fifteen minutes ago and the first two calls I got were both robocalls.

And people wonder why I don't like most of the new technology that has been foisted off on us and misused against us for the last forty years.

41 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

In got a brand new cell phone with a new number.  I activated it about fifteen minutes ago and the first two calls I got were both robocalls.

And people wonder why I don't like most of the new technology that has been foisted off on us and misused against us for the last forty years.

Sucks, don't it?

Unfortunately, the no call list doesn't stop the crooks...

Kinda like any other resigstry, huh?

What is really weird is when the spammer robocallers get your number and when the phone rings and you look at the number it is your own.  Can and does happen.

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

What is really weird is when the spammer robocallers get your number and when the phone rings and you look at the number it is your own.  Can and does happen.

Yup. Anyone can download an app and use any # , looking like that number is being used!

My phone number is from an area code that I used to live in and don’t know anyone from there anymore.  Now when my phone rings and I see that area code I know it’s a scammer calling. 

If I see an "Unknown Caller" or "Private Number" I let it go to Voice Mall.

My Voice Mail greeting says, "This is Inspector CLKid; Any requests for shift or patrol changes must be submitted to the Staff Sergeant."

All my friends know the drill, but it's surprising the number of hang-ups I get from Private or Unknown numbers when I look at the call record.

Better yet…”Hi, this is Destiny, formerly known as Dennis. The operation was a success, but I am a little under the weather. I really hope we can get together soon to explore my new body. Ciao Baby”

And folks think that I'm just being funny when I answer the phone with "**** County Coroner's Office,  how may I direct your call?" delivered in a bored business tone like I say it a thousand times a day if I have the urge to answer an unknown number.

Gasps and dial tones are not unusual.

People that know me know that I don't answer the phone.  I have less than 10 people on my contact list and they all have pictures.  So now I get far less robo calls than Sawmill Mary. 

When I got hearing aids, the audiologist wanted to set up streaming through my phone. Hell no!  

1 minute ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

If I don't recognize the number it goes to voice mail. Most times, hang up, no message.:blush:

iOS now has this feature built in.  You can turn it on and it won’t ring for any call from a number not in your address book or that you have called.  Quite handy for filtering calls.  Now I know if my phone rings i should probably answer it. 

On 7/27/2021 at 1:05 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

It sure does.  I happened to me twice.  I've been talking to myself for years and didn't need a telephone to do it.

On 7/27/2021 at 5:31 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

In addition to two robocalls I have now received two wrong numbers for Dennis.  I haven't known any Dennis since high school.

I think the phone companies recycle phone numbers.  When I moved here 15+ years ago and was working during the day I used to get a lot of messages left asking for "Clarrence ___________."    That's not my name and I don't know anybody by that name.  I figured it was just an old recycled phone number they had for this guy.  From the tone of the call I figured he must have owed the caller money so I never returned the calls.  They called repeatedly for awhile, quit for awhile, then started back up, and finally quit for what seems like for good.

On both my cell phone and land line if I don't recognize the number I don't answer the call.  If it's legitimate they can leave a message.  99% of them don't.

2 hours ago, punxsutawneypete said:

if I don't recognize the number I don't answer the call.  If it's legitimate they can leave a message.  99% of them don't.

And to have a little fun ................... We got a map of the United States , and when we get a call we check where it is from and put a dot on the map with a Sharpie Marker .............................. Map is starting to look like it was shot with bird shot .........................................

My mom got a bit senile and would talk to these people.  She'd try to argue with recorded messages. 

Then she started calling my sister on the same wrong number.  Apparently, the people on the other end were patient and kept explaining she was calling the wrong number.   She'd get mad at them for having her daughter's number and tell them off and hang up. 

I don't know how many times I'd go up to visit and she be mad because her phone wasn't working.  Well it was off.  So I'd push the on button and hold it a bit and it would come on like magic.  "How'd you do that?".  I'd show her.  But a day or two later I have to perform another magic trick.

I use NoMoRobo.Com on my land line.
It is free for this use, a modest small charge for mobile phones.
It intercepts the incoming call, determines it is a robot then hangs up.
On my end, we get a single ring, and then nothing.

You can always tell when a new list is published... the calls start coming in again, in waves.
I keep a spread sheet of blocked/reported scam phone numbers.
As of this writing, I have 792 line items.

I report them on callername.com as Unsafe.

Comcast/Xfinity only allows me to block 25 numbers, which I rapidly filled up.
I block repeat offenders by rotating them through list after dropping the oldest call date, to make room for the new repeat offender.

Archived