Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

What Would You Do


Yul Lose
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'd use a 5/8 Dia drill...maybe a hammer jack...but only after reciting the whole SASS handbook.

 

Phantom

non- constructive

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Read carefully.  Is says "1/2 diameter", not 1/2 inch diameter.  If the barrel is .375, then the drill needs to be half of that or 3/16".  

Frankly, I think you'd be nuts to put a drill down the bore...half the size or not.

 

But out of curiosity, what makes you come to the conclusion that 1/2 the diameter would be appropriate? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Frankly, I think you'd be nuts to put a drill down the bore...half the size or not.

 

But out of curiosity, what makes you come to the conclusion that 1/2 the diameter would be appropriate? 

Experience.  With a good quality  4-6" long three flute drill, properly aligned, and drilling short distances in soft material, there is little likelihood of the drill contacting the barrel.   Remember, you are only drilling into one short bullet each time--and just far enough to run in a tap. 

After each bullet is removed, I would repeat the alignment rod procedure and lock up the mill table to prevent movement due to backlash on the lead screws.  

 

(Being as you asked)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Experience.  With a good quality  4-6" long three flute drill, properly aligned, and drilling short distances in soft material, there is little likelihood of the drill contacting the barrel.   Remember, you are only drilling into one short bullet each time--and just far enough to run in a tap. 

After each bullet is removed, I would repeat the alignment rod procedure and lock up the mill table to prevent movement due to backlash on the lead screws.  

 

(Being as you asked)

That's a long Tap...I'd just use a torch and melt the lead out. (can't wait for your response on this...)

 

And most of my questions to you are rhetorical in nature.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

That's a long Tap...I'd just use a torch and melt the lead out. (can't wait for your response on this...)

 

And most of my questions to you are rhetorical in nature.

A torch might work, but it might discolor the gun or melt the solder out of the front sight.  

 

Since YOU are now on the subject of how to correct the squibs, I'll clarify one other thing which is important if someone tries the drill and tap method.  

 

I was very specific to use a milling machine and not a drill press.  Many don't know that a drill press is deliberately made with up to 30 thousandths of side drift in the quill, to enable the bit to self-center on a hole.  Conversely, a milling machine quill is rigid and a quality machine will be within 1/10,000 runout.  The drill press is very likely to drift enough to contact the barrel, over the length of extension discussed here.  

(but we are way off topic now)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

That's a long Tap...I'd just use a torch and melt the lead out. (can't wait for your response on this...)

 

And most of my questions to you are rhetorical in nature.

The chucking end of a tap is not hardened and can be welded, brazed or silver soldered to an extension rod.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Since YOU are now on the subject of how to correct the squibs, I'll clarify one other thing which is important if someone tries the drill and tap method.  

 

Actually, the topic of how to correct squibs was brought up on Post No. 5 of this thread...might want to reference that post to see just who broached the subject...

 

oy...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

The chucking end of a tap is not hardened and can be welded, brazed or silver soldered to an extension rod.  

You really think folks don't know...

 

Now I understand!

 

:lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You really think folks don't know...

 

Now I understand!

 

:lol:

I wasn't sure.  Somebody here commented that it would take a long Tap.  I was just sharing how to make one. 

 

So should I go do something else and quit posting to the Wire?  This sparring is fun, but it,s not the core of my existence.  I try to chime in if I think I have info that could help someone -- likely not everyone, I agree.  But I have another life I can go take care of -- just say the word and be rid of me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I wasn't sure.  Somebody here commented that it would take a long Tap.  I was just sharing how to make one. 

 

So should I go do something else and quit posting to the Wire?  This sparring is fun, but it,s not the core of my existence.  I try to chime in if I think I have info that could help someone -- likely not everyone, I agree.  But I have another life I can go take care of -- just say the word and be rid of me.  

Yer entitled to say whatever you'd like...it's an open forum. There's probably more people that like your posts than folks that think otherwise...I'm not god...there are a whole lot of people that can't stand my postings...opinions. But that's just it...my opinions.

 

If you don't like my banter, just laugh at me...there will be many laughing with you.

 

Phantom

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yer entitled to say whatever you'd like...it's an open forum. There's probably more people that like your posts than folks that think otherwise...I'm not god...there are a whole lot of people that can't stand my postings...opinions. But that's just it...my opinions.

 

If you don't like my banter, just laugh at me...there will be many laughing with you.

 

Phantom

Sounds like we have something in common.  Some folks here probably wish I'd just go away someplace.    I actually like jousting back and forth with you, and I acknowledge that you do have obvious huge experience in this stuff and bring up a lot of worthwhile thinking points.  More often than not, I read your quips and realize you are right.  The respect is definitely there, even if I don't often make it evident.  I'd be pleased to have you for a posse leader or TO any time.   

So enjoy!

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

If you don't like my banter, just laugh at me...there will be many laughing with you.

Truthfully, when you weren't here for so long, a lot of folks, including me, were asking and even a bit  worried.  I don't think anybody here laughs AT you.  I think your dues have been paid way forward in the CAS world.  Me too maybe someday, but not yet. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Truthfully, when you weren't here for so long, a lot of folks, including me, were asking and even a bit  worried.  I don't think anybody here laughs AT you.  I think your dues have been paid way forward in the CAS world.  Me too maybe someday, but not yet. 

I think this is true.

 

Banter can be fun.

 

We’ve differed in the past, probably will do so again in the future. So have Phantom and I. But I believe the things Cowboy’s have in common far outweigh their differences, at least most of the time.

Edited by Captain Bill Burt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I think this is true.

 

Banter can be fun.

 

We’ve differed in the past, probably will do so again in the future. So have Phantom and I. But I believe the things Cowboy’s have in common far outweigh their differences, at least most of the time.

They surely do.  And the differences are where good ideas come from -- and get shared.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2021 at 12:43 PM, Yul Lose said:

But when there are 2-3 bullets stacked on each other that won’t do much good.

2 or 3 stacked is definitely a different problem!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a simple solution to the OP's question that has been exhaustively discussed.  Get the offending firearm to the owner's car under the observation of a match official and in California's situation, locked in it's case.  It's unlikely, even under CA law, that any LEO will pursue charges of possession of a loaded firearm if the firearm is broken and unable to fire in its storage container.  Unless there is probable cause to open the case, there is no reason to discuss the firearm's condition with a LEO.  At that point, it's up to them to get it fixed in an appropriate manner.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.