SASS Wire Forum

motorcycle wheel question

Alpo

This is in an online story I'm reading. The guy is rebuilding a motorcycle, and he takes the wheels to have them tuned.

Tuned? Trued would make sense to me. But tuned? Is that the correct term?

On spoked wheels yes.  To true the wheel each spoke has to be tuned with a spoke nipple wrench.  As they age and the spokes stretch a bit the wheel can go out of round or wobble side to side.

Read closely.

Alpo's book called it having the wheel tuned.   T-U-N-E-D

Pianos and guitars are tuned

The correct term is truing  T-R-U-I-N-G

You align a spoke wheel by adjusting the tension on the spokes till the wheel runs true.

:ph34r:  I made a lot of bucks when I was m/c mechanic by truing wheels and doing the rim re-lacing on wrecks.  Have a small air of bolt cutters to quickly remove sbokes from usable hub.  I'd cut them where they crossed and get 2 at a time.  Restoring the wheel was aided by using a 'Yankee screwdriver' to get things close to round, then the wheel stand/truing jig with dial indicator to finish.  Got to where it didn't take long if everything was in stock.

For unknown reasons, this keyboard will not register the letter between o and q......

7 minutes ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

For unknown reasons, this keyboard will not register the letter between o and q......

If you have a can of compressed air, give a blast under the "Pp" key ~ prolly a clump of dust, tiny scrap of paper, or other crap under there.  If no compressed air, drag a corner of a slip of paper under it.  ;)

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Read closely.

Alpo's book called it having the wheel tuned.   T-U-N-E-D

Pianos and guitars are tuned

The correct term is truing  T-R-U-I-N-G

You align a spoke wheel by adjusting the tension on the spokes till the wheel runs true.

In this context the words are used interchangeably 

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

If you have a can of compressed air, give a blast under the "Pp" key ~ prolly a clump of dust, tiny scrap of paper, or other crap under there.  If no compressed air, drag a corner of a slip of paper under it.  ;)

I have turned my keyboard over and pounded it lightly (is that an oxymoron?) on the desktop. It is amazing how much crap will fall out of that keyboard.

If you don't have any canned air, a Shop-Vac does a pretty good job.

A lot depends on what part of the country you’re in. In PA they said tuned. California- trued / tuned. Oregon - tuned to get it trued. 

Kind of like it’s “camper shell” in one place, “canopy” in another. 

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

I have turned my keyboard over and pounded it lightly (is that an oxymoron?) on the desktop. It is amazing how much crap will fall out of that keyboard.

If you don't have any canned air, a Shop-Vac does a pretty good job.

Be careful of using a shop vac across around electronics. The high airflow can cause static discharges. DAMHIKT

In the old days we used to flush them out in the shower when a beverage was spilled on one. Worked as long as you did it right away. If the soda had dried we would put it in a dish washer on the short cycle no soap and no heated dry to recover them. Didn't always work but at that point we had nothing to loose.

Now a days I doubt that a keyboard would survive.

Archived