SASS Wire Forum

1866 rifle link assembly question?

Matthew Duncan

Thought since Guns of August is just around the corner I'd give my '66 it's 2020 winter cleaning.  Low and behold when I took off a side plate one of the link pins was laying loose inside.  Been rattling around inside since Moses parted the sea?  I figure during normal cycling of the action the pin worked its way out.   Pin slid into place holding its two links together as it should BUT with very little resistance.   

Thought about putting a center punch on the side plate side of the pin and give the punch a good whack with a hammer.  That might expand the pin enough to keep it in place.  But on the other hand I suspect the pin is harden steel and I would do more damage than good.

My second idea was to use just enough blue Locktite to get the pin "stuck" to part of a link.  Just enough to hold the pin in place but not too much the links can't pivot. 

I checked the other link pin and it was still holding it's two links together as it should. but didn't take too much effort to get it to slide out.  Figure it wouldn't hurt to touch it with Locktite either.

I'm leaning towards the Locktite solution. 

Any thoughts how I can get my one and only rifle reliable before August 13th?

The link pins should be long enough that they are captured by the side plates and cannot fall out.  If the link pin was out the gun would not cycle.  Are you sure it did not fall out as you removed the side plates?

14 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The link pins should be long enough that they are captured by the side plates and cannot fall out.  If the link pin was out the gun would not cycle.  Are you sure it did not fall out as you removed the side plates?

There are three pins pertaining to a link assembly.  The two long ones on each end that are held in place by the rifle's side plates are the Front Pin and Rear Pin.  The third pin (the one my post is referring to) is in the middle pin, what I'd call the pivot pin, Cimarron Firearms parts list refers to as a Link Pin.

The center link pin in the lever is captured by the grooves in the links which are in turn captured by the side plates.  It really cannot fall out unless it is broken in half.  If the center pin were out the lever would be connected to nothing and you could not have shot it.

DSC_0001 (1).jpeg

Uberti calls the item he (I think) is talking about, I have always called it a "knee" pin.  Staking is an OK idea, but the actual staking will need done on the link.  That pin will laugh at a punch.  Also, Important to put a feeler gage in-between the link bosses to prevent the links pinching together.

I would personally replace the links as a set. 

35 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Are you talking about the pin that holds the two parts of the link assembly together?

Yes!

29 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Are you talking about this pin?

DSC_0001.jpeg

Yes!

5 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

That should be captive by the side plates. If I were you Matthew, I'd mig weld it in tight. :D

Ain’t got no mig welder.

9 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Are they the factory links?

No.  Short Stroke Kit by SG Boogie Works.

10 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Ain’t got no mig welder.

Know any muffler shops in your area? Motorhead friends? Motorcycle shops? Maybe even a body shop? 

If contacting Boogie isn't going to work for you, I'm sure you could find someone to put a quick tack on those for you for a Jackson or a sixpack. 

58 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Have you tried contacting Boogie with this issue? 

OLG 

Yes.  Waiting on a reply to my email.

50 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Know any muffler shops in your area? Motorhead friends? Motorcycle shops? Maybe even a body shop? 

If contacting Boogie isn't going to work for you, I'm sure you could find someone to put a quick tack on those for you for a Jackson or a sixpack. 

The Locktite solution appears to be working.  I could put in the rifle's original Links for GoA :( and then (as you and Slim suggested) have those puppies tigged!

Update.

Locktite appears to be working.

'66 reassembled and rifle ... still works!

It's only been a day since I sent Boogie an email.  He could be on vacation, traveling or my email went to Spam folder.

I'll take the original links with me as a backup plan.  If I leave them at home I'll need them and if I take them with me I won't (A Murphy's law). 

When life priorities permit  I'll take them to the local welder for a more permanent solution.  Hopefully before Michigan Range War in September.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Try Loctite 635. It is a retaining compound used to secure slip fit items like sleeves, bushings, shaft pulleys and similar items.

Your good advise is too late.  BUT I’ll keep it in mind if the blue locktite I used fails.

That's a pivot pin. If you use some really strong Loctite, your link won't move and you gun could possibly  locked up.  Plus how is oil going to lube the pin?

• 1 month later...

Update.

Due to life I missed Guns of August.  But I was able to attend Range War Michigan State.  My blue Locktite solution worked!  100 rounds though the '66 without any problems!

Archived