SASS Wire Forum

Daisy BB gun early '50s

I had a Red Ryder BB gun ca. 1953-1955.  It had a brown sort od wood-looking plastic butt stock with raised figures and lettering on it  and  a matching plastic forearm.  The butt plate was a softer plastic that popped off to reveal a storage chamber in the butt.

Never saw many of them but I'd sure like to find one for my wall.  Don't even care if it works as long as it looks good.

The ones made today are extremely cheap compared to decades ago. It's a shame, as they are an American icon just as much as a Colt SAA. I have one that my late father bought 15 years ago for pest control, and it's a flimsy piece of garbage compared to the one I had as a kid in the early 1980s.

My folks bought me a Daisy, back in 1957. It was the lever action one. I wanted the pump-action one, but it was too expensive...or so I was told.

I had to promise to not shoot birds, or cats, or dogs, or windows, or anyone else, or myself. 

It had real wood, and something better than pot-metal, as I recall. 

I would sit on the back steps, and shoot pecans out of the trees. 

It funny...the Daisy had no "warning" on the barrel. It's a wonder I did not shoot myself, or someone else, or shoot out a window. 

I did not need a "warning" on the rifle....I had already received a warning from my folks. I guess there was more common sense, floating around, back then, than there is today. Like as not, fewer lawyers, as well. 

2 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

My folks bought me a Daisy, back in 1957. It was the lever action one. I wanted the pump-action one, but it was too expensive...or so I was told.

I had to promise to not shoot birds, or cats, or dogs, or windows, or anyone else, or myself. 

It had real wood, and something better than pot-metal, as I recall. 

I would sit on the back steps, and shoot pecans out of the trees. 

It funny...the Daisy had no "warning" on the barrel. It's a wonder I did not shoot myself, or someone else, or shoot out a window. 

I did not need a "warning" on the rifle....I had already received a warning from my folks. I guess there was more common sense, floating around, back then, than there is today. Like as not, fewer lawyers, as well. 

Didn't have a single solitary microchip in it either, did it?

On 7/26/2021 at 12:26 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I had a Red Ryder BB gun ca. 1953-1955.  It had a brown sort od wood-looking plastic butt stock with raised figures and lettering on it  and  a matching plastic forearm.  The butt plate was a softer plastic that popped off to reveal a storage chamber in the butt.

Never saw many of them but I'd sure like to find one for my wall.  Don't even care if it works as long as it looks good.

My Grandpa bought me a Daisy Red Ryder in 1952. I was 5 yrs old. It has long since disappeared, but I remember it as having a wood stock, not plastic. I've tried to find out when they switched to a plastic stock on the Red Ryder model with no luck. I did find that the model 25 pump was changed to plastic in 1953. I have sent a inquiry to the Daisy museum to see if I can find out. Something this important just must be checked out. :D 

On 7/26/2021 at 4:11 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The ones made today are extremely cheap compared to decades ago. It's a shame, as they are an American icon just as much as a Colt SAA. I have one that my late father bought 15 years ago for pest control, and it's a flimsy piece of garbage compared to the one I had as a kid in the early 1980s.

I have to disagree, I have one that I bought about 10 years ago and it’s great! The wood and fit and finish are excellent! Shoots great!

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG

Howdy,

Just a few years ago Chief AJ had a run of adult size

daisy bb guns made.

I dont know just how many but they are slightly bigger and many had

a large loop lever.

There may be a few floating around??

Best

CR

38 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

I got one of the adult sized RR when they did a run a few years ago.  Wood stock and metal lever.  Not a bad shooter and adult sized. 

Maybe that’s what I have?? See photo back a few.....

I got a response from Daisy. They said that the Red Ryder model switched to a Plastic stock in 1950 and has bounced back and forth since. After a good deal of research, I find that the gun I was given by my Grandfather in 1952 was NOT a current model. It was a model 40 Red Ryder, which was the First Red Ryder produced in 1940. From old photos it appears mine might have been a carbine. The barrel screwed into the the housing, and had a external shroud that cradled the barrel housing and a tab that covered the end of the magazine tube when turned. Later models had a barrel that did not protrude outside of the housing, and a internal round finger that covered a BB fill hole. There is a current so called 1938 issue that is simply not authentic. I shot a lot of birds with mine over the course of many years, and learned early on to not leave the lever open after cocking and then pull the trigger. It would slam that lever down on my fingers! What I time to grow up on a farm with a creek just down from the house. I'll go back some day soon.  

Archived