SASS Wire Forum

Thumlers Model B recipe

El Muerto Negro

Hello all,

Will start to wet tumble.  Have lots of info but looking specifically for those that have Thumlers model b.

1 How much brass 38 special per load?

2 How much dawn? 

3 how much lemi shine?

4 time tumbling?

Any do and don't 

I have a dehydrator

Thank you all in advance 

EMN

Works best if you don't tumble more than 300 38 specials.

No more than 1/4 teaspoon of Lemi-Shine

Couple tablespoons of Dawn

Ceramic media is lighter than the SS pins If you are using the SS pins cut back to 3 lbs vs 5. Will work just as well.

Don't leave the belt on when not in use.

When the belt breaks and it will, replace it with a vacuum cleaner belt or an O-ring, The belts supplied by the OEM don't last.

AN AS 568 o-ring, number .343 works well. Its dimensions are: 3 3/4"ID X 4 1/8"OD X 3/16"CS.  Available from The O-Ring store

This one also works. https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Water-Filter-Housing-O-Ring-Gasket-UCRING/202061299

You can also match up your belt to a replacement vacuum cleaner belt before it breaks.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hope that thumbler is the low speed version.

OLG 

I have two Thumbler's , both have the high speed motor. One started life with the low speed motor about 1983 or so , finally quit about 10 or so years ago. I replaced it with the high speed. They both seem to clean O.K.  What am I missing , Lumpy ?

P.S. , I use Dave Maurer's media.

Rex :D

34 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

I have two Thumbler's , both have the high speed motor. One started life with the low speed motor about 1983 or so , finally quit about 10 or so years ago. I replaced it with the high speed. They both seem to clean O.K.  What am I missing , Lumpy ?

P.S. , I use Dave Maurer's media.

Rex :D

Low speed=Reduced possibly of damage to the case mouths. 

Even more so with annealed cases.

I use Dave's media too.

OLG 

I tumble 250 38 special brass at a time with 5 lbs. ss pins, 2 tbsp Dawn or auto car wash with wax, no more than 1/4 tsp Lemishine powder and around 3/4 gal water. Tumble for 1 1/2 hrs and dry on old dehydrator for 1 hr.

I have been using a Thumler's for about 6 years.  Like Sedalia Dave says above, (300) 38 spcl cases is about max.  Don't use more than 1/4 tsp of Lemishine - too much is not a good thing.  I only put in a drop or 2 of Dawn.  I don't run the tumbler for more than 45 minutes.  I found that if the brass runs longer than that, the dirt starts to redeposit on the brass & it looks dull.

You can also use Rio Grande Strat-o-sheen (https://www.riogrande.com/product/strat-o-sheen-powder-burnishing-compounds/33901725gp ) instead of Dawn & Lemishine.  It makes your brass REALLY shiny!

For what it's worth, I have gotten really good results running smokeless brass without SS pins.  The insides of the cases don't get cleaned, but with smokeless there isn't much in there to clean anyway.  Gypsy Rider & I created a brass tumbler from a Harbor Freight cement mixer - it does great without pins.

Holler

Archived