SASS Wire Forum

Revolver advice needed

The Revenuer

Recently bought one and have now shot it in two matches. The fit looks good ... the hammer and trigger pull is lighter than stock guns ... and the narrower grips feel good for my smaller hands. I do not care for the way the checkering on the grip feels. The gun shoots straight and so far very pleased.

I am a very new shooter, and can only compare it to a stock Cimarron model P that I have. Out of the box, I had to get that stock Model P tuned a little. The Evil Roy feels the same out of the box as the tuned model P I have.

I do not believe the Evil Roy has a short stroked hammer like some of the stock Taylor's you can buy. But for me, that's OK being very new to the sport.

They are fine. In my opinion Vaqueros are the way to go. You will never wear one out. And if you want “race ready”  buy once cry once pistols. Get them from Jimmy Spurs. 

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

They are fine. In my opinion Vaqueros are the way to go. You will never wear one out. And if you want “race ready”  buy once cry once pistols. Get them from Jimmy Spurs. 

Or Shotgun Boogie...or Jim Bowie...or...

Phantom

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Or Shotgun Boogie...or Jim Bowie...or...

Phantom

There are many very qualified Ruger smiths around. I’m just speaking from personal experience. Jimmy Spurs does excellent work, and fast turn around. I ordered my Ruger Bisleys and had them in hand in less than a week. (May be longer now as Rugers are hard to find anywhere ) 

1 hour ago, The Revenuer said:

Does anybody have experience with this revolver from Evil Roy?  I’m currently shooting with a borrowed pair of the SASS New Vaqueros.  How does this gun compare? 

What do you want to compare?

They feel totally different.  You really need to handle one locally and preferably shoot them in a match before you make the decision.

As far as reliability, consensus says Ruger's are more reliable out of the box but there are ardent supporters of various Colts/clones that argue otherwise.

How does it compare?  The ER will be just as reliable as the Ruger, no worries there.  But it will feel quite different.  You need to get one in your hands to try (Chief Rick beat me to that).  Usually at least someone at a match will have them, or Taylor's smokewagons, which will feel very similar.

The Evil Roy is a Uberti but according to a video that Cimarron posted, all of their Evil Roy revolvers have the “traditional” four click lockwork, not the three click Cattkeman 2 lockwork that comes on most of the Uberti 1873 revolvers.

I have a pair with 5.5" barrels that I bought several years ago as backup.  At the time I was having problems with one of my NMVs. 

I've fired the ERs  only a few times.  The minor Colt v. Ruger design differences take a bit of getting used to -- things like the 4-click lock and the base pin safety mechanism that you have to remember to check (I believe mine got pushed in once in holstering).  Otherwise the guns handle OK.  Stiffer and rougher, IMO, than the Vaquero. 

Both ERs consistently shot about 4" below point of aim at 8 yds, when tested off of a beanbag rest.  That is a problem, given the receiver groove rear sight that cannot adjust upward.  

I also don't care for the prominent Evil Roy signatures deeply laser engraved into the top of the barrel.  I dislike it so much that I've thought about TIG welding and grinding it off. 

Honestly, If I could go back in time, I would have bought a backup set of Vaqeros, which IMO are very well designed guns.   

20210726_120032.jpg

You have the advantage of little to no experience with either brand. Therefore you can adapt to either one. 

The first center fire pistol I ever shot was a Colt SAA.  Since then, nothing else was the same.  I have a bunch of Uberti - including Taylor's Smoke Wagons that is pretty much the same as an Evil Roy.  But I can feel the difference. 

I had a pair of Ruger Vaqueros and they never felt right and I never got accustomed to the Ruger world.

Just taking a survey is not going to help. It's really up to you to keep trying, handling and shooting to decide. Buy one of each and shoot them until one comes out on top.

11 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Both ERs consistently shot about 4" below point of aim at 8 yds, when tested off of a beanbag rest.  That is a problem, given the receiver groove rear sight that cannot adjust downward.  

It's a fixed sight revolver...it better shoot low out of the box.

Phantom

16 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's a fixed sight revolver...it better shoot low out of the box.

My description was too brief and wrong.  I meant the rear sight cannot adjust UPWARD.  

With the entire front sight visible above the rear sight groove, the guns still shoot low.  It isn't just a case of lowering the front sight.  There isn't enough adjustment to cure the POA.

37 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

DDD, 99.9999% of all SA revolvers shoot low.

The front sight is left 'tall' so you can file it down to raise POI/POA for your load.  ;)

That said, 8yds is pretty close. :huh:

OLG 

Even if I file the entire front sight off, the guns will still shoot 4" low.   

48 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

My description was too brief and wrong.  I meant the rear sight cannot adjust UPWARD.  

With the entire front sight visible above the rear sight groove, the guns still shoot low.  It isn't just a case of lowering the front sight.  There isn't enough adjustment to cure the POA.

You need to have a known good shooter try'em.

What's your load?

OLG 

52 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You need to have a known good shooter try'em.

What's your load?

OLG 

Several "known good shooters"  have tried them, both off hand and off of a rest.  We all concluded the same.  Both guns shoot lower than filing the front sight can correct.  I suspect the barrel threads are cut too long and the barrel is rotated 180 degrees, prior to front sights being cut and mounted.

Frankly, I'd have donated them as a raffle prize before now, except I have an ethical issue with giving away my problems to someone unknowing. 

I'm 100% sure that Cimarron would make good, but I just haven't gotten around to bringing it up with them.  My bad. 

(A major timber die off followed by a major wildfire that destroyed my property took most of my time this past 2 years.) 

3 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I suspect the barrel threads are cut too long and the barrel is rotated 180 degrees, prior to front sights being cut and mounted.

If they were only rotated off by 90 degrees, would they shoot around a corner?

:mellow:

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

If they were only rotated off by 90 degrees, would they shoot around a corner?

:mellow:

THAT would be worth buying them for!

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What's your load?

I don't usually load any propellant,  just the primer.  Maybe that's why they shoot so low. 

(actually I shoot 3.3gn Titegroup under 130 gn rnfp)

11 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I don't usually load any propellant,  just the primer.  Maybe that's why they shoot so low. 

(actually I shoot 3.3gn Titegroup under 130 gn rnfp)

I'm surprised the bullet even gets to the target with that load :lol: :D :ph34r:

Seriously, try some factory loads and see where they hit.

OLG 

Archived