SASS Wire Forum

Reading material while stove up

Pulp, SASS#28319

I had a foot surgery a couple of weeks ago, healing fine, but can’t do much for another month or so.  A church member brought me some books about a game warden named Joe Pickett by CJ Box.  First one was pretty good, so I’ll continue with the series.  If you haven’t read any of them I’ll recommend.  

870D3FAE-59C1-4E12-8D8F-0469BC2E25F9.png

If you need another series that is best read in order of publication, try John Sandford’s “Prey” series; each title contains the word “prey”.  “Rules Of Prey” introduces LEO Lucas Davenport whose home base is Minneapolis.  But he gets around.  Good stuff.

Read all of the Joe books. Fun read. Another series I'm liking is the John Corey set of books, by Nelson DeMille. He is a irreverent detective always getting his arse in trouble as he saves the day, going against orders of course. The author has a great sense of humor.

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If you need another series that is best read in order of publication, try John Sandford’s “Prey” series; each title contains the word “prey”.  “Rules Of Prey” introduces LEO Lucas Davenport whose home base is Minneapolis.  But he gets around.  Good stuff.

I quit reading his books when he started getting politically ugly in his later books, always trashing Republicans. I read for entertainment, not political crap.

Another set of fun adventure books is Wayne Stinnett's Caribbean Adventure series, about a retired Marine sniper:

Jesse McDermitt is a charter boat captain.

That is his day job and he really enjoys it because he loves the ocean, loves fishing, and loves his boat. The people he contracts with sometimes are okay and he is friendly enough with them but it is being on his boat on the ocean fishing that he cares most about.

Until someone starts to cause trouble or push him around or bother his friends or generally become a jerk in his presence. Then he is prone to make his feelings known and few people get by unscathed not paying attention to this man who, though starting to age, can more than hold his own.

McDermitt was for 20 years of his adult life a Marine, a member of the prestigious Force Recon and an exceptionally gifted sniper. A couple of his exploits in his career are still talked about in sniper training though you would be hard pressed to get him to talk about them. He did what he needed to do and a couple of very bad people stopped doing what they were doing.

McDermitt is in his mid-40s at the start of the series. He mentions being 44 in one of the early books and he also mentions that he has been out of the Marines for 7 years which let us know, since he served 20 years, he joined the Corps when he was 17 or 18. Before he became a jarhead, he was raised by his grandparents after the deaths of his parents when he was near 10. We also learn that he has been married twice before with the second one resulting in two daughters that his ex did not let him see or have anything to do with (this will change over time).

Jesse McDermitt gets involved with the Department of Homeland Security in the second book when the son of one of his oldest friends comes to call wanting help spreading his father's ashes at sea. That son, nicknamed Deuce, was a Seal recently moved to DHS. It occurs to Deuce that having someone like McDermitt available to haul agents where needed in the Caribbean under the cover of a fishing outing was a great idea. McDermitt is quite a bit less than interested but life has a way of forcing things on a man and that happens to McDermitt.

McDermitt owns a very small island in the Content Keys of southern Florida and he uses that place as a training and staging area for his new part-time gig as DHS transporter and sometimes fellow operative. When you have been in action as much as McDermitt has over the years, just driving men to a fight and standing by is going to happen. It is not happening a fair amount with McDermitt.

I gave the prey series up because he got so damn anti-gun. One book, and the woman was in trouble, so she asked him about getting a gun for self-defense, and he told her that was a really really stupid idea, and the only police are trained enough that they can use a gun safely.

And I went over to the bookshelf and took all four or five of his books that I had off the shelf and tossed them in the trash.

Anything by Skeeter Skelten

J. Todd Scott's books High White Sun, The Far Empty and This Side of Night are good.

Jack London classics are always great.

Longmire, Jack Reacher and of course all of Louis L'Amour's westerns. :D

Stephen Hunter books about Bob Swagger, USMC sniper are all good reads. His early books The Day Before Midnight and then  Dirty White Boys got me hooked. He’s quite a story teller.

I second, third and fourth the Bob Swagger novels. Quite excellent. 

Archived