SASS Wire Forum

Marlin parts are tough to find...

I've got a .25-20 1894CL, and thought I'd put a longer mag tube on it for Cowboy Action, but, dang.... I can't find one. :( The original half-mag only holds six.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Other references:

Jack FIrst

Numrich

Warden Calloway might also have one.  He's a good Marlin mechanic.

..........Widder

I don't have any that's not already in use.  The link I posted above to Gun Parts Corp is really Numrich.  

Would one from a 32-20 work? Might be worth trying.

I think the older .25-20 & .32-20 tubes are smaller than the 1894CL. Pretty sure the modern-made Classic uses a .357 tube.

Another way would be to join two tubes together. Mark Novak lengthen a tube on a 86 Winchester.  If you could conceal the joint under the forearm,  it would be simple to use a short section of tube to connect and just solder or JB Weld or epoxy the joint.  

I had a CL that I put a longer mag tube on several years ago.  FYI for those that don't know part of the problem finding a mag tube is that the barrel is 22".  So you have to take a long tube and shorten it.

48 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I had a CL that I put a longer mag tube on several years ago.  FYI for those that don't know part of the problem finding a mag tube is that the barrel is 22".  So you have to take a long tube and shorten it.

The description on the item on ebay says for 24" barrel.  

From 6 rounds to 11, and with just a couple more coils off the spring, it would hold 12. I cut the replacement spring pretty long - about 6" longer than the tube, so there's still plenty of spring if I want it to hold 12. :)

MarlinBayonet.jpg

I got on the phone to Midwest Gun Works and Numrich's - turned out Numrich's had a new 24" tube after all. 

Clamp barrel in padded barrel blocks in vise, lay out some scribe marks for the new dovetail, rough it out with a small saw, then go to work with the files. When it's close, a few strokes, check for fit, repeat. Eventually, EUREKA, you can tap the stud in. Cut the tube close to length with a tubing cutter, then chuck it up in the ol' Jet lathe to turn the last few thousandths off til it can just be pushed over the stud. Trim magazine spring to length, reassemble, cycle for function, and go shoot. :)

Files.jpg

Archived