SASS Wire Forum

Designated shooting order

Chief Rick

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/27/2021 at 6:29 PM, Fordyce Beals said:

This is a good thing about shooting in order eventually you'll have to shoot first if you want to or not and that will be a learning experience and make you a better shooter.  Or so I think.

Fordyce -Now likes to shoot first

I think I understand your point about shooters benefiting from being pushed out of their comfort zone, but we’re in the entertainment business not the shooter development business. While I do agree that there can be growth as a shooter from pushing your comfort zone, it should be up to the individual as to when and how that takes place. 

19 hours ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

I think I understand your point about shooters benefiting from being pushed out of their comfort zone, but we’re in the entertainment business not the shooter development business. While I do agree that there can be growth as a shooter from pushing your comfort zone, it should be up to the individual as to when and how that takes place. 

Can you elaborate on your statement: "This is a good thing about shooting in order eventually you'll have to shoot first if you want to or not and that will be a learning experience and make you a better shooter."

I can make some assumptions, but would rather understand where you are coming from.

Phantom

SA Hombre has it where I am coming from.  My naivety is a failure to see how strong opinions are with shooters being pushed by club procedures out of their comfort zone and not being in control of the shooting order.

Fordyce 

21 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well you know me. I'll push it to page 50 if needed to answer my earth shattering questions.

:mellow:

100 pages easy if this was the off season...:D

2 hours ago, Fordyce Beals said:

Can you elaborate on your statement: "This is a good thing about shooting in order eventually you'll have to shoot first if you want to or not and that will be a learning experience and make you a better shooter."

I can make some assumptions, but would rather understand where you are coming from.

Phantom

SA Hombre has it where I am coming from.  My naivety is a failure to see how strong opinions are with shooters being pushed by club procedures out of their comfort zone and not being in control of the shooting order.

Fordyce 

Some shooters consider going first on a stage, occasionally, even when that's not their preference, an opportunity to succeed at one more of the many challenges  that are found in many shooting competitions. 

39 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Some shooters consider going first on a stage, occasionally, even when that's not their preference, an opportunity to succeed at one more of the many challenges  that are found in many shooting competitions. 

This is right...and the nice thing about shooting when ready is that these decisions are left to the individual shooter...

'Merica!

Phantom

I like some sort of loose order (not like the convoluted ordering someone else mentioned with jumping around with who starts first, or alphabetical)
Our Cat Herder calls out who's on which posse (if we have enough for 2 posses that day) and an order in each posse-which can be changed amongst ourselves.
1: while involved in shagging brass, spotting etc, it is nice to look up and see who is at the loading table so I know when I need to try to hand off duties .
2: At least tries to keep the prima donnas from shirking duties or just "shooting whenever they want" because THEIR shooting is all so much more important than anyone else (they still tend to jump up to the reloading table 4 people before their turn), especially during the last stage, when everyone wants to go first and pack it up-leaving all the work to the few left.
3: When working on paper scoring, makes it a bit easier for the score keeper-not having to flip through pages to get the shooter
4: Keeps the loading table from being stacked up 5 deep

5: gives the TOs some time to switch and prepare
6: Keeps things moving

No one wants it locked in and goose stepped with zero leeway....but I sure dont want to live in Portland OR either....

Maybe it doesnt matter when there are 30, 40 + shooters...then the elite can gather to gossip and not be missed because there are plenty of workers-but when 20 is considered a huge turnout and the usual is 9 or 10....some type of order is needed to keep things moving.

If some type of order is so "un cowboy way-like" for the free souls...then they really must hate being scored and judged , being told what order they need to engage the targets, how many rounds they can put in their guns, when and where they can carry loaded and where to load and unload, and any type of garment restrictions..
I mean, no one ever told a REAL cowboy what he could or couldn't wear or how many rounds he was allowed in his guns! Hell, real cowboys drove their wagons on whatever side of the road they wanted!

SASS is, or should be, a fun fanatsy shooting game. Bullseye is for precision. The Marine Corps is for survival.

IMHO, when SASS ain't fun, I go home to my private range. Forcing a member to do something that makes them upset is for the Gestapo.

4"x6" targets @ 30 yards for pistols, ½ life size quail targets @ 20 yards for the shotgun, 6"x8" targets @ 45 yards for rifles and 10 second misses were all promoted as grand ideas for making cowboy shooters better... and maybe they do... but they proved to be extremely unpopular... I don't know that I truly "enjoy" 16" square targets @ 3 yards, but they are certainly easier to hit!  Cowboy action shooters don't seem to be too terribly interested in being "better" shooters, just FASTER!

I've shot at a couple of "in order" clubs... and noted that the scorekeeper was forever reminding certain shooters they were "up next"...   When I go someplace new, I like to do the scorekeeping duties, by the 3rd or 4th stage I've usually learned the shooter's aliases...   by putting a name with a face, not a number!

Forcing folks out of their comfort zone doesn't make them better shooters, it makes them nervous shooters.  Nervous folks with loaded guns and live ammunition make me nervous, can someone take the timer... PLEASE!

Archived