SASS Wire Forum

Designated shooting order

Chief Rick

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

This method pushes people into shooting positions that they may not feel comfortable with (ie: shooting first). For me, I don't like shooting last or next to last.

Phantom

This is a good thing about shooting in order eventually you'll have to shoot first if you want to or not and that will be a learning experience and make you a better shooter.  Or so I think.

Fordyce -Now likes to shoot first

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Which is the system that I think is the LEAST preferred by those that have made their opinions known.

This method pushes people into shooting positions that they may not feel comfortable with (ie: shooting first). For me, I don't like shooting last or next to last.

Yep, I despise alphabetical order because that puts me last or second to last, which I despise. If they shift, depending on direction, that could put me shooting 1st or 2nd, which I hate. Personally like to shoot in the middle.

Like I said, I don't really care about the shooter's order.  I like to keep the "customers" happy.

The only one who really is bothered by random order is the person who's doing stats (if they ain't familiar with new shooter's alias's).

But are some of you saying that you'll refuse to shoot at a range if there is a specified shooter's order?

MG

Clubs who shoot based on a sign-up order is a "playground" system.

We shot at a club in Washington state a few years ago.

They shoot in order of sign-up (which we did not know) and shoot the 6 stages by dropping 2 as the first shooter listed.  Meaning 1 is first on stage 1, 4 on stage 2, 7 on stage 3, 10 on stage 4 . . . 

As visitors, we did not know the "system".  shooters stood around the sign-up sheets not wanting to be 1, 4, 7 ...   

So when signing up they skipped those spots.

The "leader" announced that there were not enough for 3 posse so he would assign posse three (the one we were on" to the other posses.

My wife who had done only 2 matched was #4.. She started 1st on two stages.  She was not prepared for that.  I do not blame her.

During the peak of Corvid, we shot in a neighboring state.  We shot in an agreed upon order, mandated by the county run range.  Worked out fine, because the posse determined an order and stayed with it.  Everyone shot where they want to shoot.  This is very different from some of the posts here making up an order that no one wants.

59 minutes ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Like I said, I don't really care about the shooter's order.  I like to keep the "customers" happy.

The only one who really is bothered by random order is the person who's doing stats (if they ain't familiar with new shooter's alias's).

But are some of you saying that you'll refuse to shoot at a range if there is a specified shooter's order?

MG

If the match is fun and folks friendly, I would shoot it. Compared to where I'm normally told to go, being told to go to the LT would be a pleasant change!

1 hour ago, Mustang Gregg said:

I'll try to shoot almost anywhere at least once.  More will go into my decision on whether I return than if there's a designated shooting order.

That said, if everything else was equal, if it came down to shooting in a designated order or shoot when ready I'll choose shoot when ready.

I prefer to shoot early, first two or three, but I don't want to be locked into that position if I can't wrap my head around a scenario.

2 hours ago, Fordyce Beals said:

This is a good thing about shooting in order eventually you'll have to shoot first if you want to or not and that will be a learning experience and make you a better shooter.  Or so I think.

So...let me get this straight. You think that shooting order can affect one's ability in the positive?

Really...hmmmm...so I guess you think that a shooter that can alter their routine is a better shooter...??

Wow...okay...I guess.

Well, thank god that you're here to make us better shooters!

Phantom

I shoot at a couple clubs that usually have 2 posses. One shoots in order, the other shoots randomly. It’s noted on the sign up sheet and you can sign up on the one of your preference. Works out great, everybody’s happy. If I am RO on a random posse I announce that only three people at the loading table. This usually solves the worker shortage problem.

3 minutes ago, Bull Skinner said:

I shoot at a couple clubs that usually have 2 posses. One shoots in order, the other shoots randomly. It’s noted on the sign up sheet and you can sign up on the one of your preference. Works out great, everybody’s happy. If I am RO on a random posse I announce that only three people at the loading table. This usually solves the worker shortage problem.

Help me out here.

If you have all the working positions filled...what difference does it make if 3 or 6 people are at the loading table? Would you rather that 3 folks are just standing around?

Ya lost me on this one...help me understand.

Phantom

While I am not the shooter most are [it really doesn't bother me where I shoot] I think @Phantom, SASS #54973 made an interesting point. If a shooter has a NEED  to shoot earlier in a Posse, why not? I am usually spotting or picking brass, so as long as someone relieves me in time to shoot, I'm good.

8 minutes ago, Bull Skinner said:

Small clubs seldom more that 30 shooters. Ain’t nobody standing around.

If you have 30 shooters show up and split that into two 15 person posse's"

1 Shooter

1 TO

1 Loading table officer

1 Unloading table officer

1 brass picker

3 spotters

That's eight people - what are the other seven doing?

35 minutes ago, Bull Skinner said:

Small clubs seldom more that 30 shooters. Ain’t nobody standing around.

Sorry...I might be missing something. Was this in response to my question?

The folks are either working or shooting/preparing to shoot. If you have folks not doing any of these things...what are they doing. If nothing, what difference does it make if they are waiting in line at the loading table.

Just Trying to wrap my head around your logic of not allowing any more than 3 people at the loading table.

Phantom

Chief, you forgot about the 3 at the loading table and one getting his gear ready. Thats 12 and I guess the other three are watching the shooting and thinking about how they will shoot it or visiting and relaxing or getting a drink, combing their hair and fixing their corset/bodice. Anything but standing 3 or4 deep holding their long guns or twiddling their thumbs and staring into space.:D

2 minutes ago, Bull Skinner said:

Anything but standing 3 or4 deep holding their long guns or twiddling their thumbs and staring into space.

But if that's what they want to do...who cares?

Phantom

4 hours ago, Fordyce Beals said:

I’m going to disagree, respectfully. This is a pet peeve of mine. I go to matches to have fun, not to be subjected to stages, shooting orders, or anything else designed to ‘make me a better shooter.’

Fun and friends, period.

The other unaccounted for people might be shooting cap and ball revolvers and at that point they will be occupied almost the entire stage from what I have experienced. Or, there may be visitors that a member or two will go and interact with, since we are at a public range with multiple bays. And it seems if someone has a firearm malfunction it take twos or three people to resolve the issues. And lets not forget those that are still debating the last P, miss, or SDQ call made.

So...when you get a Posse entirely made up of  "I like to go in the middle" shooters...  who all think its somehow wrong to "force" any kind of order...  WHO is it gets made to go first?   (or second..or third?)  Allowing "everyone" to choose when to shoot pushes people into shooting NOT "where they want to shoot" just as firmly as a designated order.   SOME folks will always step up when noone else does...but don't for a minute think thats always what they really  "want".   

5 hours ago, Constable Nelson #11784 said:

So...when you get a Posse entirely made up of  "I like to go in the middle" shooters...  who all think its somehow wrong to "force" any kind of order...  WHO is it gets made to go first?   (or second..or third?)  Allowing "everyone" to choose when to shoot pushes people into shooting NOT "where they want to shoot" just as firmly as a designated order.   SOME folks will always step up when noone else does...but don't for a minute think thats always what they really  "want".   

If that ever happens I'll be sure to post on the Wire. There's a few(not calling any names) that race to shoot 1st on every posse I've been on at every match I've been to and that includes EOT this year(so I know this happens beyond the southeast).  This happens so often that I think it's almost a separate game to them.. There's usually folks that prefer to shoot last as well.

I had a posse at CAC once, that while it looked like an excellent posse on paper, turned out to be a nightmare.  On our first stage, NOBODY would go to the loading table until I threatened to make it shoot in order.  Even then, the “great” shooters I had wouldn’t help with posse chores, because they were too busy trying to game the stages.

it was the shooters from my local clubs who stepped up and saved the day.

I have shot “in order” before and they shifted first to last every stage.  I didn’t really care for it, but it wasn’t intolerable.

6 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I think we should drag this out at least another two pages.

Wadda YOU think?

Do we have to post in order or can we post when we want? :P

Kajun

I don't like shooting in order, simply because it requires short-term memory.  I forget the stage instructions just trying to remember who I am and who I'm supposed to follow.  The worst part is that everyone on the Posse figures out what's going on.   

17 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So...let me get this straight. You think that shooting order can affect one's ability in the positive?

Really...hmmmm...so I guess you think that a shooter that can alter their routine is a better shooter...??

Wow...okay...I guess.

Well, thank god that you're here to make us better shooters!

Phantom

I feel honored to have your reply and delightful sarcasm aimed at my post.

I was thinking of the poster how said his wife freaked out when she had to shoot first (out of her routine).  If at her home club she had experienced the situation before and was ready to shoot well wouldn't she be a "better shooter"? 

I was also thinking (off topic) that in self defense you need to shoot first or out of your routine or you are a very dead shooter. 

So call it what you may it looks a lot like a positive to me.

Fordyce headed for page 5

3 minutes ago, Fordyce Beals said:

I feel honored to have your reply and delightful sarcasm aimed at my post.

I was thinking of the poster how said his wife freaked out when she had to shoot first (out of her routine).  If at her home club she had experienced the situation before and was ready to shoot well wouldn't she be a "better shooter"? 

I was also thinking (off topic) that in self defense you need to shoot first or out of your routine or you are a very dead shooter. 

So call it what you may it looks a lot like a positive to me.

Fordyce headed for page 5

Perhaps you wish that my response was interjected with sarcasm...but it wasn't.

Care to respond to the idea that SASS is not or should not be in the business of making their customers better shooters? Or will you just chalk up my question to sarcasm?

Phantom

Actually, I can't see how anyone is going to shoot better by being told when to shoot, rather than deciding for themselves.  Different people take different times to develop their needed focus and concentration.  Being hurried or delayed seems like unnecessary stress added to an already tense situation.  

Since I have been with the Territorial Marshals, I have not participated in a designated shooting order. The folks at my club are generally very proficient, even the kiddos, most of the time more so than I. By the time we wrap up with the first stage most of the shooters stay in the same order. I would not be opposed to a designated order but why change when something works so well. Also, I think this may deter new shooters. No need to create anxiety over a spot in line.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Care to respond to the idea that SASS is not or should not be in the business of making their customers better shooters? ?

Phantom

I would be happy to respond (and stand in the line of fire):

Yes entertainment first, point well taken, but I didn't make my clubs choice to shoot in order but unlike a lot of others in this thread I came back and shot in order and found some small benefit to me.  (The club mostly shoots as ready in current times).

Fordyce

37 minutes ago, Fordyce Beals said:

I would be happy to respond (and stand in the line of fire):

Do you see the irony with your signature line: nanos gigantum humeris insidentes

Anyway...now that this issue has been...addressed. Can you elaborate on your statement: "This is a good thing about shooting in order eventually you'll have to shoot first if you want to or not and that will be a learning experience and make you a better shooter."

I can make some assumptions, but would rather understand where you are coming from.

Phantom

Hey! Phantom!!

This is off topic, but Tennessee Stud “Sends his regards!!”

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program!!

5 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Hey! Phantom!!

This is off topic, but Tennessee Stud “Sends his regards!!”

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program!!

Dang!

Glad to know he's still on this earth. He was a fun contributor to the Wire...

Phantom

Archived