SASS Wire Forum

Designated shooting order

Chief Rick

When I first started CAS the clubs I shot at had a designated shooting order (early 2000s).

I know at least a couple of clubs still do this but I don't understand why.

Do you support a designated shooting order or do you care?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people really like it . 

I am not one of those.  If a club does that I'll probably not return.   With our two kids, and wife and I shooting, it makes it hard if we can't space out

We many times have new shooters and not everyone knows the alias of every shooter so we always have a shoot order.  This way there isn't any confusion as to who the score should go down in the book for.

It helps the score keeper, it helps (to extent) knowing 'who's on deck'

It does not help when

Folks are sharing guns and need to assist kids,ect.

It does not help you if you know you are coming up to be on the loading table and can't find someone to come relieve you from spotting, pulling targets, brassing.

I like shoot at will.

I get to know folks' alias and remember them.

It usually works that after the first stage, most will shoot in that order from then on (mostly)

But...

I like to take a vote with the posse. The majority wins.;)

A combination.  It's usually the decision of the posse leader.   I see times when "shoot when ready" results an a half dozen shooters elbowing to get to the loading table while the stage directions are being read.  Even if we shoot in order, there is no problem with someone wanting to shoot some other time.  

One of the few times that I have shot "in order" was at a State match.  I personally don't care for it.  There have been a few stages that I couldn't get my head wrapped around.  Putting me up front in that instance doesn't help me at all. 

That's my thoughts, 

BS

I believe that every match I’ve attended the posse leader reads the order and asks if anyone wants to change their position, which is always accommodated, and the match is then conducted in that order. 

Seamus

We pretty much let everyone choose when to shoot on the first stage and then try to keep the order for the rest of the match.  It helps the scorekeeper and it eliminates a line of folks with gun butts on boots and no one working.  Even if we requested no more than 3 loading it would happen.  Now when posses are smaller, keeping an order works best.

Absolutely not. Some people like to shoot early, some late and some in the middle,  let them shoot where they are comfortable. Also some people are sharing equipment or being mentored by someone and thus need to be spread out.  It also isn't fair to have someone shoot first all the time because they are at the beginning of the alphabet and someone else has to always shoot last because they are at the end of the alphabet.  If the score keeper needs to have everyone shoot in order and can't ask for an alias then maybe they need to find another job.  We went to one state shoot in the mid Atlantic where the husband and wife were posse marshals/RO's and said everyone had to shoot in order by alias but since their guns were already loaded they would shoot first (neither of their aliases were at the beginning of the alphabet but they apparently liked to shoot first).  So on the 2nd day when they were again up first (and their guns weren't loaded this time) I asked why they weren't shooting in order and their reply was that since it worked well yesterday they would just keep that order.  I guess in their case it's do as I say, not as I do.  Needless to say we've never gone back and don't intend to.

We had eight today so we did.  We also allow one to switch up their position.  Above ten we tend to go up more when we want but most pretty much keep to the same pattern,  When we do “designate” we ask the shooter pretty much as to where they want to be in line.

1 hour ago, Nickel City Dude said:

We many times have new shooters and not everyone knows the alias of every shooter so we always have a shoot order.  This way there isn't any confusion as to who the score should go down in the book for.

I'm sorry...and I've gotten myself in trouble saying this, but this is just...silly. It takes a couple stages and then y'all know each other. If the scorer doesn't know the shooter, ask their alias. Easy Peasey!

It's also a better way to get to know those VERY FEW new shooters that are all of a sudden on your posse.

Phantom

no

1 hour ago, Nickel City Dude said:

The score keeper should make sure of who the shooter is before the 'beep'.

OLG 

Typically there are four of us at a match. Per the rules we can’t spot for each other. We’ve worked out a system that helps the posse move smoothly. I shoot first, a few shooters behind me is Kid Flash with Iron Cowboy monitoring him at the LT. when I finish IC takes my rifle and heads to the LT. I typically take the timer at that point. Shootin Sharyn finishes up. 

It works well alphabetical order would be the same, but potentially mess up the intervals and the rifle hand off.

15 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Typically there are four of us at a match. Per the rules we can’t spot for each other. We’ve worked out a system that helps the posse move smoothly. I shoot first, a few shooters behind me is Kid Flash with Iron Cowboy monitoring him at the LT. when I finish IC takes my rifle and heads to the LT. I typically take the timer at that point. Shootin Sharyn finishes up. 

It works well alphabetical order would be the same, but potentially mess up the intervals and the rifle hand off.

I could be wrong...but I think the only thing you can't do is Score for a family member.

Someone...or many...will correct me if I'm wrong.

Phantom

One club I shoot at uses shooting order because they still keep score on paper. Each shooter has their own 5X7 card where their score is entered. Keeps the score keeper from having to shuffle through cards.

Every place I have been to that uses a shooting order allows shooters to change the order before the first stage. Sometimes a change needs to be made later in the match and it is always accommodated.

If a  match didn't allow the order to be adjusted then the MD is doing it wrong. 

Here is why a shooting order is beneficial IMNSHO.

1.  Allows those that are going to be TO to easily space themselves so that someone is always available to take over the timer.

2. When you are sharing guns, it is easy to keep the necessary interval between the shooters.

3. When someone needs mentoring or assistance it makes it easy for them to maintain the necessary interval between themselves and their mentor.

4. Those that like to shoot first can do so.

5. Those that don't want to shoot first don't have to.

6. As it seems that the same people are always the ones that pick brass, they can space themselves out.

7. Prevents there being too many or too few at the loading table. This is extremely beneficial when the loading tables are small.

8. Allows people to partner up on posse chores so that they always know who their relief is and when they'll be relieved.

Most of the arguments against having a shooting order are only valid if the shooters cannot make modifications before the first stage. For the life of me I can't see why any MD or posse marshal wouldn't allow a change before the the start of the first stage.

54 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm sorry...and I've gotten myself in trouble saying this, but this is just...silly. It takes a couple stages and then y'all know each other. If the scorer doesn't know the shooter, ask their alias. Easy Peasey!

It's also a better way to get to know those VERY FEW new shooters that are all of a sudden on your posse.

Phantom

This^^^^

As a posse marshal it is part of the job to know your posse members. If you don't know everyone take a moment and ask them their alias as they come up to the line the first time or two. Then announce to the scorekeeper and the rest of the posse who the shooter is. Only takes a second and then by the next stage most everyone will know each other.

Of course some of us (me) are memory challenged so I may ask a time or two, but I consider it an important part of my enjoyment to know my fellow shooters by the end of the day.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Put me down for shoot when ready

6 minutes ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

Funny thing is that most posses end up with a shooting order.  A couple of stages and the order just settles in.

And that order is decided by the shooters...when they like to shoot...etc-etc.

Amazing...

:P

33 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I could be wrong...but I think the only thing you can't do is Score for a family member.

Someone...or many...will correct me if I'm wrong.

Phantom

RO1 page 27

Spotters never spot for a family member

At another club we frequent,  they always have shot in sign-up order. Then after each stage, the first shooter rotates to last and everyone moves up one.  I can't remember a time in 8 years we've shot there where it's been different. 

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

RO1 page 27

Spotters never spot for a family member

Thank you!

Now here's why I posted what I posted...hopefully someone that ran a Posse at WR can help. Something in the back of my cluttered brain makes me wanna think that we received instructions that family members can do everything BUT write the score down for a family member.

Or were the Drugs just really good that morning...??

Phantom

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Thank you!

Now here's why I posted what I posted...hopefully someone that ran a Posse at WR can help. Something in the back of my cluttered brain makes me wanna think that we received instructions that family members can do everything BUT write the score down for a family member.

Or were the Drugs just really good that morning...??

Phantom

ROI, pg 27

A Score Keeper must never record the score of a family member.

2 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

Some people really like it . 

I am not one of those.  If a club does that I'll probably not return.   With our two kids, and wife and I shooting, it makes it hard if we can't space out

The years the son and I were sharing two pistols, a rifle and a shotgun we'd just mention the fact to the Posse Leader.  We never ran into a situation when we weren't allowed to "space out".  

Archived