SASS Wire Forum

Third Time's A Charm?

Subdeacon Joe

Frank Herbert's tale is too thick for the screen.  There is too much texture and details for a medium that cannot stop and explain.

Best sci-fi ever written.

It seems to have a good director and there are a number of talented actors involved, so I'm optimistic.

I did think the Dune TV mini series was decent,  but the first movie was pretty bad.

36 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Frank Herbert's tale is too thick for the screen.  There is too much texture and details for a medium that cannot stop and explain.

Agreed.  You could make multiple movies from the original book and still have to leave out a whole lot.

35 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I'm inclined to agree.

The "sequels," however, were lacking.  Although it's been decades since I read them, they gave me the impression that ol' Frank - perhaps at someone else's urging - was attempting to capitalize on the theme.  All in all, they were like cold leftovers of a meal that was wonderful served hot.

26 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'm inclined to agree.

The "sequels," however, were lacking.  Although it's been decades since I read them, they gave me the impression that ol' Frank - perhaps at someone else's urging - was attempting to capitalize on the theme.  All in all, they were like cold leftovers of a meal that was wonderful served hot.

It's one of his kids (son?) and a professional sci-fi writer.

Reading them was like looking at a xerox of a xerox of a copy of a painting.  The basic shapes are all familiar but the details that make the original special were missing.

Good points, everyone.   

First book is in the top 5 of science fiction.   Second book is a decent read.  After that it drops off quickly. 

The first movie was on par with the movie Starship Troopers.  The SiFi mini series wasn't much more watchable. 

Just about any book is translated to film is going to come up short.   Different time scale and different ways of transmitting information.   Also, with books we paint our on mental images.   On the screen we accept someone else's picture imposed on us.

Dune is a book that should be done as a mini series, it would be worth doing that way.

5 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Dune is a book that should be done as a mini series, it would be worth doing that way.

It was, back in 2000.

9 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

It was, back in 2000.

I  think DeaconKC meant a GOOD mini series. 

To do it right it would need to be on the scope of Shogun. Even that had large gaps. 

Actually I was unaware of that series.

17 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I  think DeaconKC meant a GOOD mini series. 

To do it right it would need to be on the scope of Shogun. Even that had large gaps. 

I watched it... thought it better than the '84 film.  Come to think of it, I might have copies of both.

Now, the aborted 1973 project would have been 14 hours as scripted.  A lot of us were reeeally looking forward to it - music by Pink Floyd, cast including Salvador Dali, Orson Welles, Mick Jagger, Geraldine Chaplin, and lots more.  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Hardpan,  Plan 9 From Outer Space was better.   That's a pretty low bar.

Suum cuique, Joe~!  :lol:

Mebbe I was in an off mood that day.  Mebbe I was just disappointed in the '84 iteration after waiting eleven years after the Jodorowsky project failed.

But you're right... third shot might be charmed.  I want to see how they do the 'thopters!  ^_^

Archived