SASS Wire Forum

New Cowboy Town Progress Report

Hellbender

Howdy Folks,

I know some of you are wondering how it's going for us in Lake Charles, Louisiana as we build a new cowboy town to replace ours that was destroyed by Hurricane Laura close to a year ago, so I thought I'd share some photos I took at a work party we had out there today.  It sure was hot this morning, with heat indices approaching the hundred degree mark, but 16 of us got a lot of work in before we quit around noon.  We've now got more than half the town decked and we've roofed about 3 stages of what will be 7 stages total when it's done.

We could not have afforded to do what we've done without the generosity of a great many folks.  We still need to raise more money to purchase more materials so be on the lookout for additional items we'll be offering to sell and maybe some more raffles too.  And we sure wouldn't turn down additional donations if you have a hankering to throw a few bucks our way (PayPal - flyingfrog2015@gmail.com; checks - Up the Creek Gang, 503 Moss St., Lake Charles, LA 70601). As you can see from these photos, the money we receive is put to good use!

Thanks Pards,

Hellbender

President, Up the Creek Gang

IMG_5109.thumb.jpeg.9128f5049d2d4335a9af577ca2d3754a.jpeg

IMG_5111.thumb.jpeg.9556588c0b911060951e61e65c078b4e.jpeg

IMG_5122.thumb.jpeg.89ef4c748b6a73c7ea4a4b9ededd3021.jpeg

IMG_5119.thumb.jpeg.7f9b3e43c4e157e42a6a593f7e47bcd9.jpeg

IMG_5113.thumb.jpeg.bdc6fda4874b7ce76e1983ec32dbd581.jpeg

IMG_5108.thumb.jpeg.90071a93525b0f9acf8dfd7c7e2e118b.jpeg

Nice looking work. 

Just  seeing your earlier pictures of the forces that destroyed your earlier town (and also realizing your work in the photos isn't complete as yet),  you hopefully plan to add some diagonal sway bracing (rods are easiest) on the underside of the end roof sections.  And, if the walls are not otherwise to be braced or sheeted, add diagonal bracing between some of the supporting posts, to help prevent wracking in heavy winds.   FWIW.

3 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Nice looking work. 

Just  seeing your earlier pictures of the forces that destroyed your earlier town (and also realizing your work in the photos isn't complete as yet),  you hopefully plan to add some diagonal sway bracing (rods are easiest) on the underside of the end roof sections.  And, if the walls are not otherwise to be braced or sheeted, add diagonal bracing between some of the supporting posts, to help prevent wracking in heavy winds.   FWIW.

Thanks Dusty!  I don't know much about the plans myself so I'll pass your suggestions along to the building committee co-chairs.

Hellbender

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well done!

Are you folks looking to put some sound absorbing materials on the metal lid?

Phantom

That's a really good thought.  We have two bays with bare steel roofing, and the sound inside them  is really loud, even to us deaf guys wearing protection; especially from large caliber pistols.  

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well done!

Are you folks looking to put some sound absorbing materials on the metal lid?

Phantom

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

That's a really good thought.  We have two bays with bare steel roofing, and the sound inside them  is really loud, even to us deaf guys wearing protection; especially from large caliber pistols.  

No, there aren't any such plans that I am aware of.  The main thrust now is just to get the town built.  Whenever we get to the point where we consider the town "done", then if there's any money left over (hah!) we'll consider it.  Thanks for bringing that issue to our attention. :)

It looks great!

4 hours ago, Hellbender said:

No, there aren't any such plans that I am aware of.  The main thrust now is just to get the town built.  Whenever we get to the point where we consider the town "done", then if there's any money left over (hah!) we'll consider it.  Thanks for bringing that issue to our attention. :)

There are  some interior spray-on thin coatings that are pretty economical and have some acoustical absorption as well as insulation value.  Now may not be the time, but down the road, after your new facilities attract a bunch of new members, it might be worth a look.  

8 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

There are  some interior spray-on thin coatings that are pretty economical and have some acoustical absorption as well as insulation value.  Now may not be the time, but down the road, after your new facilities attract a bunch of new members, it might be worth a look.  

Thanks Dusty we'll for sure keep that in mind!

Looking excellent Hellbender, you folks are doing a great job.

Archived