SASS Wire Forum

American Pickers

Highwall

Well I reckon I'm done with this TV series. I know it was kind of hokey but I actually learned a lot from it about old collectable valuable stuff.

I must say though now that Frank Fritz  will be out I've lost interest.

I know Mike Wolfe is the star but he's too overbearing in a disgusting way to me and so much the camera conscious hog on the show

to a point of me hitting the mute button on the reruns.  I hear his wife is doing the same. LOL

Frank in my opinion was a smarter picker, more frugal, and practical picker which made the show more believable. 

There's not much quality TV to watch nowadays. If I strike this one off the list I guess I'm back to Gunsmoke and High Chaparral reruns.  

Ah the good ole days of 60's TV!:rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Highwall said:

There's not much quality TV to watch nowadays. If I strike this one of the list I guess I'm back to Gunsmoke and High Chaparral reruns.  

Ah the good ole days of 60's TV!:rolleyes:

Agreed. Our TV doesn’t seem to get anything other than Dragnet, Adam 12, Big Valley, Bonanza, Cheyenne and some other key ones...

It is a completely phoney show. ALL the deals are made in advance by staff, things are choreographed and then Mike and Frank and the cameras come in at a pre determined date. 

2 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

It is a completely phoney show. ALL the deals are made in advance by staff, things are choreographed and then Mike and Frank and the cameras come in at a pre determined date. 

We know that but it's entertainment and better than the Bachelor, Kardashian's, RuPaul, Survivor, Jersey house wives etc, and almost anything else available.

If not for western reruns I'd have no TV to watch at all!  :blush:

14 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

That's what I read. so have not watched it for a couple of years.

But I am with Phantom on this

33 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Ummmm...

Who cares?

Saloon?

Phantom

runaway my phantom bride
and take your bouquet of poisonous flowers

We dumped cable years ago and haven't looked back. I don't even watch TV news that much anymore it's so bad. (I get my information from more reliable sources) As for entertainment There's always a good WWII movie on or something made prior to oh, 2000 give or take. I have seen some programs and movies made in the last few years but not very many. So far, every sitcom or series show on "network" TV these days is crap. Total crap.

American Pickers, Shipping Wars (LOL) American Restoration, Storage Wars (BIG LOL) and the like, Pawn Stars (there's a Cajun Pawn Stars too) Each, believe it or not has some nugget about antiques, history, pricing trends and such to be useful if you can stomach the blatant made-up drama. I much prefer shows like How It's Made, Modern Marvels and things like that.

As for entertainment of the TV series type, Wagon Train. Adam-12. The Rookies. Beverly Hillbillies are more my speed.

Used to watch it quite a bit, esp. Sunday evenings when there's like NOTHING else on. Always kinda liked it. Lots of interesting stuff, shows weren't too long and nothing you had to stay glued to. No profane or obscene language. Not a bad show.

JHC

The only network Television I watch is the local news. Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. Then other than Forged In Fire it’s YouTube for me 

I stopped watching it a while ago, it got boring! I never really cared for either of them! I liked Danielle, I think they should have showed her more!

if i watch - i like em all , they are great entertainment in that arena , it can kill a bit of time without boring me and ive seen some things id not seen before ....or maybe have and didnt realize anyone might care about , 

ALSO , i no longer feel so bad about my garage being a mess ....my wife is working on it , its her stuff 

I have only watched the show a few times. I didn’t care for it as it seemed choreographed and fake. Guess I was right. 
The one thing the show did do is give city people the idea that traipsing around the countryside and visiting small towns, farms and ranches looking for deals was fun and rewarding. Much to the chagrin of people in small towns, farms and ranches. 

Yep!  The wife and I use to watch it.   We even stopped by their Nashville store and it was all about selling T-shirts.  The show uses the same formula as Pawn Stars; it's all choreographed.

The show interested us because we go to a lot of estate sales.  We don't resell tons of stuff.  I mainly look for "man-tiques" (gun stuff, knives, and tools).

My son plays the guitar track on Storage Wars. He recorded that about 5 years ago and they still use the same track last time I watched it. It's mildly enertaining!:)

I read Frank is having some health issues, lost a lot of weight, etc.

(edit) Crohn's disease, he's lost 65+ pounds - pretty substantial for a guy only 5'5".

Frank.jpg

How bout Skinwalker Ranch.We got them running around here.Dont we Sue.

Largo

1 hour ago, largo casey #19191 said:

How bout Skinwalker Ranch.We got them running around here.Dont we Sue.

Largo

Boy Howdy...I do like that series.  Super interesting. Can't wait until next season...

On 7/26/2021 at 10:14 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

It's a TV show for entertainment. Reality is a thing that need not show up. I went to their website thinking I'd buy a collectible. Nothing but t-shirts, mugs etc. They say the antiques are at the store. But the store doesn't have any!

Been to the Pawn Stars home store in Vegas and lots of t shirts, coffee mugs, etc and not much else.It was a waste of time for sure. Most of their stuff (Pickers too) sold on the internet.

Learned a lot of things on Skinwalkers fromm another show.Like the Navajo police have a special task force to investigate siteings on the Rez.

Interesting:ph34r:

Largo

Archived