SASS Wire Forum

Air Rifle

Subdeacon Joe

On 7/25/2021 at 7:46 AM, bgavin said:

Backyard Olympics are now illegal in Sacramento County... no BB or air rifles permitted.
Pity...

That just plumb sucks... under the "Title 9 PUBLIC PEACE, MORALS AND WELFAREsection of the City Code.  

Doh!!  :wacko:

On 7/24/2021 at 8:17 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

AirTarget2.jpg

I was in an airgun club in Fort Worth for years that shot league competition and then a couple local gun clubs also started shooting airgun silhouettes as well as indoor ten meter competion.  These are posted on my board in my office next to my desk.  One of the leagues had a one shot match that was done each week to see who could get closest to a center shot.  The target is one I shot on April 12, 2001.

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4702.JPG

IMG_4750.JPG

On 7/27/2021 at 12:57 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

If I'm not mistaken it's illegal to discharge a BB gun anywhere in California except at a gun range. Who on Earth packs up their gear and heads out to a rifle range just to shoot their Daisy Red Ryder?

Since the beginning of the year, I've see quite a few folks at the range shooting air rifles/pistols. They say that it's due to the ammo shortage. Some of them have spent substantial $ on their air guns.

The first NRA santioned air rifle metallic silhouette match was shot in Fort Worth in May of 1983.  The second National Championship was shot in Fort Worth in July 1989.  There is an award in metallic silhouette that is called the Grand Slam and it is earned once a shooter has shot ten in a row of each of the 4 different targets in a santioned match.  I have Grand Slam Number One for Outdoor Target Air Rifle shot the Chickens and Pigs at the Nationals in July 1989, shot the Turkeys in July 1991 and finally shot Rams in June 1995.  Over the years I have owned 9 different air rifles and 5 differnt air pistols.  These included break barrel actions, under lever cock and side lever cock and pre-charged filled from scub tanks.  The last Air Rifle Silhouette Match I shot was 2015 at the National Championships conducted in Louisianna.  All my Airguns are are now gone to make room for my Military Arms Collection.  Attached are some photos from an Air Rifle Sihoutte Match in Haltom City at our local club. 

IMG_4754.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4751.JPG

IMG_4752.JPG

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

On 7/27/2021 at 9:57 AM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

If I'm not mistaken it's illegal to discharge a BB gun anywhere in California except at a gun range. Who on Earth packs up their gear and heads out to a rifle range just to shoot their Daisy Red Ryder?

No... I think it's still limited to selected communities/cities/counties.  For what it's worth, some semblance of common sense still prevails outside the densely populated areas.  Unfortunately, the weighted concentration of citizens in those megalopoli make the entire state about 72% "blue."

It's just a matter of time...  :(

On 7/26/2021 at 10:11 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Now this is an air rifle

It is my understanding that Napoleon had standing orders to execute on the spot any snipers caught with air rifles. Lewis and Clark also had an air rifle on their expedition but was mostly used in exhibitions to amaze any Indians they encountered on the journey.

I compete in 10 meter air pistol with the Rockville IWLA by shooting at my basement range and scanning then emailing the targets to the league's scorer. Use a Morini 162MI pistol. The test target that came with the gun is 10 shots through one hole. It's an Italian design made in Switzerland. BTW - In Europe they are called weapons. The highest end guns have electronic triggers. I'm a troglodyte, so mine has a mechanical trigger. It still cost as much as a Colt SAA.  

23 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Since the beginning of the year, I've see quite a few folks at the range shooting air rifles/pistols. They say that it's due to the ammo shortage. Some of them have spent substantial $ on their air guns.

Since last year my air gun collection has doubled as well. The last time I had bought a new airgun I was still a teenager! Since it's so hard to get ammo for my firearms I'm making do with an indoor range at my home, shooting both BB and Airsoft guns.

Archived