SASS Wire Forum

A Little Bit Of Venting And A Question.....Updated

Calamity Kris

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Surprised to here this. Were these bought new?

We are on our third Suby.....

Bought our first in 2003. Traded it in on the 2020.

I'm still driving the 2007 Forrester. 

Would buy again.

OLG 

Yes, they were bought new.  One on each coast.  In both cases, the dealership and the district service manager refused to make good on it.

So you're driving along and the car goes dead. Pull over and whatever. We have airplanes dropping out of the sky because of electronic or software issues.

Some of our modern bombers/fighters can't be flown without a computer to help guide the plane.

The self driving cars depend 100% on electronics, cameras, and sensors to go down the road. No thanks.

I have had random dash failures on my Chevy Bolt.  Could never replicate them for the dealer to do any fixes.  GM did do a software update that helped, failures are much less frequent.  

chevy volt had lots of electric issues.  Couldn’t shut it off because it wouldn’t recognize it was in park, cruise would not work randomly due to the brake pedal switch output drifting a little.  Always worked fine at the dealer.   Done with GM/Delphi electronics. 

45 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

So you're driving along and the car goes dead. Pull over and whatever. We have airplanes dropping out of the sky because of electronic or software issues.

Some of our modern bombers/fighters can't be flown without a computer to help guide the plane.

The self driving cars depend 100% on electronics, cameras, and sensors to go down the road. No thanks.

No the car doesn't die.  I am able to keep driving.  I have steering, brakes, cruise control etc.  The screens go black, much like your computer does when you have computer problems.  So, when things go dark, I don't have a speedometer, tachometer, any gauges etc.  I also don't have radio, navigation, etc.  This car does not have any self driving electronics so that's not an issue. 

I love computerized things...
Like the Arrival and Departure screens at the airport... showing the Windows Blue Screen of Death.

"Ladies and Gentlemen... this is your pilot.  Please buckle your seat belts while we reboot the airplane."

With the help of a Good Samaritan, I have been communicating with Honda North America.  They are aware of the issues and have copies of all my service records.  They have scheduled a service appointment with one of their regional "Field Technicians" to take a look at it in early August.  I will let you know what comes of that.

I have also been looking at filing a "Lemon Law" claim, as well as chatted with a co-worker who had to do so on their 2019 Honda Passport, my car's little sister.  She is helping walk me through the process and giving me names and addresses to contact.  I will wait on filing to see what happens with this latest technician. 

Thanks for all your support and assistance.  I do appreciate it.

• Calamity Kris changed the title to A Little Bit Of Venting And A Question.....Updated
On 7/24/2021 at 11:18 PM, Doc Shapiro said:

I've had 2 Subaru Outbacks.  Both were absolute disasters.  The first ended up in a Lemon Law type situation and I was able to get out from under it.  The recent one had a transmission problem from Manufacturing that Subaru flat out refused to stand behind, even after emailing a few executives.  I'll never buy another.  Ever.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:48 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Surprised to here this. Were these bought new?

We are on our third Suby.....

Bought our first in 2003. Traded it in on the 2020.

I'm still driving the 2007 Forrester. 

Would buy again.

OLG 

On 7/25/2021 at 11:02 AM, Doc Shapiro said:

Yes, they were bought new.  One on each coast.  In both cases, the dealership and the district service manager refused to make good on it.

I'm with OLG on this. Mrs. Doc's first Subaru was a 1996 Outback, a lease turn-in bought used from a Subaru dealer with basic one year warranty. After 160K she traded it on a new 2003 Legacy, which only lasted 230K or thereabouts. Her current 2017 WRX did have to have the clutch replaced after 36K, and the dealership was reluctant to work with us. The tech gave the usual arguments-- not knowing how to drive a manual trans (all of her cars, going back to an '84 RX-7 have been manuals. Her legacy had the clutch replaced at over 200K, because the trans had to be pulled for another issue), street racing (she's an over 50 school teacher... Seriously?)... You get the idea. We did the research that indicated there were some reported issues, and in the end, we talked to the both the service and sales managers who contacted the district manager, and we agreed that they would cover half the cost and we would cover half. So far, no further problems, other than the infotainment system not updating properly, but Subaru has taken care of that both times with no hesitation.

Oh, my youngest daughter has been driving a 2017 Forester, no idea how many miles, with no issues. There is a high likelihood my next car will be a Subaru.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:21 AM, Calamity Kris said:

they stated the wiring harness for the instro cluster had become "kinked causing stress to be placed on the wiring harnesses". 

Thanks for the update. 

How in the world does it "become kinked?"  It had to have been installed that way.

Kinda tough for manufacturers to claim your problem is "One they never heard of before!" with the internet available to all.

I had the "Matt Finish" roof rust on my then new '78 GMC Jimmy. GMC had never heard of such a thing!

Being an ornery sort, I printed up some flyers with my name and the tale, then placed them on any other GMC product with a similar roof that I encountered.

A military friend copied one and passed it around to others up here. 

I think General Motors got the message.

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thanks for the update. 

How in the world does it "become kinked?"  It had to have been installed that way.

They replaced the connectors "AGAIN" which tells me it became kinked on one of the re-installs.  He also said the wiring harness was not routed properly.  This likely caused the wires to be in the way when they re-installed the gauges, a contributing factor to the kink.  I drove it quite a bit today to make sure it was working as it should and it seems to be OK. 

Archived