SASS Wire Forum

How do you clean your gun after shooting Wax bullets?

superdave269

Howdy,

How do you clean your gun after shooting wax bullets. I would like to hear and learn from you guys any tips on cleaning your barrel after shooting wax bullets. I am enjoying shooting wax bullets in the back yard but noticed that the bore looks like it's leaded. I am surprised how hard it is to get the wax out of it.   A bore brush really seams  to do nothing. The only way I can get it removed is to use a really tight soaked patch over a cleaning jag.  Looking for some helpful advise.. Thanks

WD-40 is a good (and easily available) wax softener and remover.  It also works great for getting tree pitch out of your hair,  latex or oil based paint or grease off of your skin, or road tar off of your car.  It even gets in under and gradually releases dried concrete from a pickup tailgate.  

Normally I don't use WD on guns, except to displace moisture after getting them wet.  But for barrel wax removal it will work OK. 

Pop out cylinder

Pour boiling water down barrel 

Be careful. 

The water is hot enough that it heats the metal and evaporates all the water off

Clean and oil per normal

Years ago Cimarron loaned some guns to SASS for the wax shooting match at the Riviera.  I got to clean them after returning to Texas.  I didn't know about the above tips, and tried a variety of bore cleaners and brushes.  It was ridiculous how long it took!

Thanks everyone. I knew I would get some great ideas here. I like all the replies, there are very helpful. I figured there must be a product that would melt the wax away.  I was thinking about just shooting a FMJ or 2 after shooting but I can't do that in my back yard. I was not confirmable putting a heat gun on it but I do like the hot water idea as I have shot black powder for 40 years.  I believe you guys just cut my cleaning time down dramatically.  Much obliged.  

38 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Off topic, a bit, but how do you like it?  Does it affect bluing ?  

I have a Dragon brand high pressure steam cleaner that I use for removing investment off of castings in jewelry making.  I've not tried it on gun parts --concerned about discoloration.  Have you had that sort of problem?    

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Off topic, a bit, but how do you like it?  Does it affect bluing ?  

I have a Dragon brand high pressure steam cleaner that I use for removing investment off of castings in jewelry making.  I've not tried it on gun parts --concerned about discoloration.  Have you had that sort of problem?    

No affect on Bluing that I've experienced. Use a rust inhibitor with distilled water. Been a while since I've used it as it as it was primarily used in my shop  in Texas. My friend uses it exclusively for cleaning his BP guns.

Phantom

7 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

No affect on Bluing that I've experienced. Use a rust inhibitor with distilled water. Been a while since I've used it as it as it was primarily used in my shop  in Texas. My friend uses it exclusively for cleaning his BP guns.

Phantom

Thanks.  I guess l'll fire up the Dragon and try it -- first on SS NMVs, then on my case color '73, and then on  an old blued "safe queen" .22 rifle.   But I think I'll hold off with my wife's Single Sixes with black painted grip frames.  (I have no idea why Ruger finished them that way, but with blued tops.  I suspect the lower frame is aluminum -- sure feels light)

17 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Years ago Cimarron loaned some guns to SASS for the wax shooting match at the Riviera.  I got to clean them after returning to Texas.  I didn't know about the above tips, and tried a variety of bore cleaners and brushes.  It was ridiculous how long it took!

I shot those wax competitions at the Riviera two years. It was interesting.

10 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Thanks.  I guess l'll fire up the Dragon and try it -- first on SS NMVs, then on my case color '73, and then on  an old blued "safe queen" .22 rifle.   But I think I'll hold off with my wife's Single Sixes with black painted grip frames.  (I have no idea why Ruger finished them that way, but with blued tops.  I suspect the lower frame is aluminum -- sure feels light)

The high pressure would give me concern on the painted grip frames.

Heat shrink gun or hair dryer to heat the barrels and then run a jag and patch through barrell. Finish up with brush and solvent as usual.

JM

Archived