SASS Wire Forum

Guam

Subdeacon Joe

56 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Wow... It went there in one post! I'm impressed!

I was going to post that video…Hahaha 

Doc I figured posting a video without commentary about the title topic had to be non political. 

Informational from a recognized outlet. I actually saw this on Cspan when it aired.

I have the utmost respect for that Flag Officers demeanor under extreme conditions. He is a credit to his service and officers corp.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

I thought that's what the original post was going to be.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

I await Hank's introduction of the Balance Guam bill in the House. 

Considering some of the winners that got elected as House Reps, he's  sure to find co-sponsors.

It makes as much sense as a lot of the other bills that have been comingvout of the House in the last few years.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not being critical. I looked at Joe’s post and wondered how long it would be before someone posted that clip. Then I scrolled down and… Bam!!! Right off the bat.

I will say I had faith in Joe to post something different and interesting.

1 minute ago, DocWard said:

I will say I had faith in Joe to post something different and interesting.

Thanks,  Doc.   Of course,  I  did pick the subject line wording with malice of forethought knowing that a fair number would go in the tip over direction. 

Sorry for the thin skin Doc! I know where Guam is and where that it was in the pacific theater for wwii and that video. So I know 3 things about guam.

I think I'd be more afraid that if a few of the bombers that fly in and out of Guam accidentally caught their landing gear on takeoff, they might lift the island right off the seabed. :o Place makes a great unsinkable aircraft carrier! :)

39 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Sorry for the thin skin Doc! I know where Guam is and where that it was in the pacific theater for wwii and that video. So I know 3 things about guam.

No worries! You know about as much as I do.

I dunno about Guam tipping over, but our youngest grand daughter is there for 3 years with mom 'n dad.
She is now scuba certified there, and dad has her training with Dad's 9mm at the local range.

2 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Misspell in original post, too. Believe it's Agana, not Againa.

Thanks for the catch.  The caption said  "Agan,"  I korected Otto 4  times on it and thought I had it.   Corrected to what the caption I saw was. 

11 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Congress critter concerned about Guam

That man is an embarrassment to his race, the human race, his "profession", his constituents and a lot more I could name if I got to feeling really mean.  He should have been machine-gunned in the womb.

I often use that clip when I point out elected officials are no smarter than you and I.  They just got elected

199203902_10158530967212880_4711901386071502309_n.png?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=fyysTWdG8cAAX_SIO30&tn=5wwB4Jy2HDVQD1uE&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=2fd7be34b17c869c09c062a86ae4b78d&oe=6123882A

198949425_10158530969337880_8343140339833735317_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=57Ef6dG5RY8AX_0xMnp&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=fbb32900ec1af7e0396beeaedd3a8a08&oe=61219E3E

CITATION: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as commanding officer of a rifle company - attached to the 2d Battalion, 9th Marines, 3d Marine Division - in action against enemy Japanese forces at Fonte Hill, Guam 25 - 26 July 1944.
Ordered to take a portion of the hill within his zone of action, Capt Wilson initiated his attack mid-afternoon. He pushed up rugged, open terrain against machine gun and rifle fire for 300 yards and successfully captured the objective.
Promptly assuming command of other disorganized units in addition to his own company, he organized his night defenses in the face of continuous hostile fire. Although wounded three times during a five hour period, he completed his disposition of men and guns before retiring to the company command post for medical attention.
Shortly after, when the enemy launched the first of a series of savage counter attacks lasting all night, he voluntarily rejoined his besieged units and repeatedly exposed himself to the merciless hail of shrapnel and bullets, dashing 50 yards into the open on one occasion to rescue a wounded Marine.
Fighting in hand-to-hand encounters, he led his men in battle for approximately ten hours, holding his line and repelling the fanatically renewed counter thrusts until he succeeded in crushing the last efforts of the Japanese early the next morning. Then, organizing a 17-man patrol, he advanced upon a strategic slope essential to the security of his position. Defying mortar machine gun and rifle fire that struck down 13 of his men, Wilson drove forward with the remnants of his patrol to seize the ground.
By his indomitable leadership, daring combat tactics and valor in the face of overwhelming odds, Capt Wilson succeeded in capturing and holding the strategic high ground in his regimental sector, thereby contributing to the success of his mission and the annihilation of 350 Japanese troops.
His inspiring conduct through the critical periods of this decisive action sustains and enhances the highest traditions of the US Naval Service.

In the Highest Tradition—WWII Medal of Honor Art:
Paintings by Col Charles H. Waterhouse, USMCR (Ret)

In commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII, our new Combat Art Gallery exhibition features the artwork of U.S. Marine artist, Col Charles H. Waterhouse.   Included in the exhibition are the paintings and portraits of 39 WWII Medal of Honor recipients. 

Waterhouse understood the meaning of sacrifice and service.  He enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1943 and served with the 5th Marine Division on Iwo Jima, where he was wounded on the third day of the battle.   After the war, he became a professional artist and served in Vietnam as a civilian combat artist for the U.S. Navy.  In 1973, the U.S. Marine Corps commissioned Waterhouse as a major in the Reserves to create paintings that depicted Marines in the Revolutionary War.  He spent the next 19 years as the Marine Corps' first official Artist-In-Residence, creating hundreds of paintings detailing the Corps' history.
After he retired from the Corps, Waterhouse embarked on a project to create a portrait and painting of every U.S. Marine and Navy Corpsman who had been awarded the Medal of Honor. His final gift to the Marine Corps would be 200 paintings and 106 miniature portraits of  Marine and Navy Medal of Honor recipients.  He would gift the artwork to the Museum in 2011 and 2012, shortly before his passing at the age of 89.    
See the source image

See the source image

13 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

That man is an embarrassment to his race, the human race, his "profession", his constituents and a lot more I could name if I got to feeling really mean.  He should have been machine-gunned in the womb.

Say what you really mean!!   :P

Archived