SASS Wire Forum

It Sparked Concerns

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/23/uk/raf-base-plane-spotter-malfunction-scli-intl/index.html

Simpson, who previously worked for Boeing in designing aircraft traffic control procedures, listened to the radio communications between pilot Maj. Grant Thompson and the base to see if any action would be taken, but to his surprise nobody else seemed to have noticed.

When he heard that the aircraft was set to refuel over the North Sea, Simpson realized the pilot was unaware of possible problems with his aircraft.

"It suddenly dawned on me that they had no idea what was going on," the 56-year-old plane spotter said. "So at that point, I called the base, by looking on Google for the telephone number."

Simpson, who previously worked for Boeing in designing aircraft traffic control procedures, listened to the radio communications between pilot Maj. Grant Thompson and the base to see if any action would be taken, but to his surprise nobody else seemed to have noticed.

When he heard that the aircraft was set to refuel over the North Sea, Simpson realized the pilot was unaware of possible problems with his aircraft.

"It suddenly dawned on me that they had no idea what was going on," the 56-year-old plane spotter said. "So at that point, I called the base, by looking on Google for the telephone number."

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Good on him.

I am a little surprised they took him seriously.

I  would think that any time they get a call, "Hey, one of your fighters that just took off is shooting sparks and flame out his tail pipe." they will take it seriously. 

Archived