SASS Wire Forum

Go to smith for race ready 73

Looking to purchase another uberti 73 and have it “race ready tuned”  or purchase ready to go. running a 4th gen now that was set up over 15 years ago. Thinking I will go with the 5th gen, probably prefer the kit instead of cut and weld.  The smiths that set up my stuff years ago are either gone or very long in the tooth.  I know everyone will have there favorites but Who’s the go to smiths for 73 work now. 
Thanks, LF 

Hard to beat Long Hunter.  His shop can provide a Uberti 73 as well as get it competition ready.   Thus, it only ships once.

http://www.longhunt.com/

Jim and Jared are top shelf smiths.  GJ

I've heard that there is a guy in Illinois not all that far from you. Can't think of his name.  Cowboy Cartsomething. Cartwheel, no,  Cartwright, no, CARTY, that's it. Cowboy Carty. Not sure if he works on Uberti, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Western Gun Works | Facebook

Huckleberry in Spring Grove, IL did my uberti 73, my SASS vaqueros and I bought a 97 from him - everything runs like a dream...

Everyone has a favorite, ask your local club members, and try theirs; currently using Shotgun Boogie.  Once you get a Boogie gun you won’t go back to any others.

1 hour ago, Lunger Dan said:

Cody Conagher  http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/   smooth as butter , extremely fast and well priced turn around if you ever mess it up (it WILL be your fault if one does)  Buy once cry once. Best SASS purchase I made by far.

So he no longer cuts and welds?

Have you even felt a Boogie rifle?

;)

35 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

;)

Have shot a Cody cut and weld, extremely smooth but didn’t like the overall feel compared to the kit guns. 

Have not shot a Boogie!  Have heard his name mentioned for 73 work or at least the kit. 
That’s why I asked the question, I know there has been advancements since I had one set up. Trying to make and educated decision. 
Thanks, LF

Boogie is hands down the smoothest I've shot.  Next would be by drifter.   But drifter isn't doing much work on guns anymore.   My person experiences with Cody's guns were less than positive but they may have been a couple bad apples out of the bunch.  If you want the details pm me. 

If you want a miruko carty is doing the best I've seen.  

Ive played with rifles from pretty much all the big names and some of the small.  Each felt different.   I would try out as many as you can before you buy

30 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Boogie is hands down the smoothest I've shot.  Next would be by drifter.   But drifter isn't doing much work on guns anymore.   My person experiences with Cody's guns were less than positive but they may have been a couple bad apples out of the bunch.  If you want the details pm me. 

If you want a miruko carty is doing the best I've seen.  

Ive played with rifles from pretty much all the big names and some of the small.  Each felt different.   I would try out as many as you can before you buy

Not sure I have ever felt a 73 actually done by Boogie, with all his tricks, but would like to, so maybe in the future. 

You are certainly correct on difference in many doing much the same work.  I have even felt noticable difference in same smith's work on different 73s.  I've decided some work just turns out better on particular 73 jobs, same smith or different.  No doubt some smiths turn out above average on majority of their jobs, others perhaps exceptional jobs on lesser amount of jobs with majority being more just acceptable.

Of course much in the hands of user as to "greatness" of work. 

28 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

BTW, does anyone have contact info for Carty?  I have a Miroku that needs some work.  Thanks.

I'll pm you his number 

Lefty Wheeler

I currently shoot the C&I 4th gen. that Lefty Wheeler has setup for me.  I think he has setup maybe 5 or more rifles/carbines with the 4th Gen kits through the years.  Pretty pleased with them all.  Although, there  seems to be a dearth of available kits on the C&I 4th gen. 

Your search for another rifle, may prove to be lucky or a long term search.  Happy Trails to you!

12 minutes ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

Your search for another rifle, may prove to be lucky or a long term search.  Happy Trails to you!

Ubert’s are still available in most configurations if you look around. Not plentiful but out there. Miroku is proving to be more difficult.  I reached out to a couple smiths suggested, waiting to hear back. 
Thanks, LF

11 minutes ago, Long Fingers, SASS#56813 said:

Ubert’s are still available in most configurations if you look around. Not plentiful but out there. Miroku is proving to be more difficult.  I reached out to a couple smiths suggested, waiting to hear back. 
Thanks, LF

I do understand that, I was just implying that finding, buying and then being happy with the rifle setup / cost, may be short or you may find that you go through 2 or more rifles, in your search to find what rifle will fit you, makes you happy, and the rifle works long term without failures.  Failures may be critical to you and they may not.  To have someone work on your "equipment" and have failure within weeks to months, can be tough to handle.  Painful to say the least, in numerous ways.  Good luck on your journey.

49 minutes ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

Lefty Wheeler

I currently shoot the C&I 4th gen. that Lefty Wheeler has setup for me.  I think he has setup maybe 5 or more rifles/carbines with the 4th Gen kits through the years.  Pretty pleased with them all.  Although, there  seems to be a dearth of available kits on the C&I 4th gen. 

Lefty and C&I has certainly been combination that works for Sassy and I.  Just have a hard time keeping Lefty in Texas all year.:)

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

;)

missed the "didnt want cut and weld part"

Lefty, Shotgun Boogie, Cowboy Carty, Huckleberry, Bowie, I’ve heard good things about all of them.

I have an Uberti set up by Harland Wolf. Awesome gun, but he doesn’t work on them anymore.

Sharyn has an Uberti set up by Bill England (RIP) and recently reworked by Reno Mustang with SGB parts. It went about 70,000 rounds or so then needed work.  Maybe an OOBD. Thanks to Reno it’s very smooth again.

I recently ordered an Uberti from Lefty. Hope to get it before the SE Regional so the Iron Cowboy can stop shooting mine. It’s not used to being run that fast.

On 7/24/2021 at 8:45 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

;)

Love my 2 cody-matics. They are now available off the shelf from Taylors

On 7/23/2021 at 11:13 PM, Last Call Saul said:

Huckleberry in Spring Grove, IL did my uberti 73, my SASS vaqueros and I bought a 97 from him - everything runs like a dream...

Huckleberry is a good guy, too. Helped me out at a match and was easy to work with

I/we have and shot all but one of the names listed above.

Shotgun Boogie is well above the others.

One listed I would NOT recommend at all. 

1 hour ago, Long Fingers, SASS#56813 said:

He does not! 
spoke with him yesterday and discussed setting up the rifle along with some other work. Just waiting on parts. 
LF. 

+1. He is not as wide known as others but every gun I shoot has his work - my vaqueros, 97 and 73...all work great and smooth!

And he is one of the nicest guys to be around!

On 7/24/2021 at 7:57 AM, KH24 said:

Everyone has a favorite, ask your local club members, and try theirs; currently using Shotgun Boogie.  Once you get a Boogie gun you won’t go back to any others.

Was not aware that Shotgun Boogie tuned up rifles, as this service is not listed on his website, or facebook page from what I can see.  

1 hour ago, Cemetery said:

Was not aware that Shotgun Boogie tuned up rifles, as this service is not listed on his website, or facebook page from what I can see.  

Really?

Hmmmmm...

Header says: Repairing, tuning and tuning parts for CAS

Parts that he manufactures are listed...he doesn't just buy other people's components and resell them.

:wacko:

Archived