SASS Wire Forum

9mm Luger Faux Pas

Hey Cactus Jack Calder…

I did a dope slap 9mm thing today. Was at Scheels and saw 9mm bullets on the shelf. Picked up a box of Berry’s 124 gr Luger plated bullets, but set them back on the shelf while I looked them up on my phone to see if they were ok for my Glock.  Without really looking, I grabbed the box and threw it in the cart. 

When home, I went have to a look at them which of course requires breaking the seal on the box. I thought, “dang these look small.” It was then I noticed the label which said .380 cal 100 gr. Obviously I grabbed the  wrong box. :(

Fortunately I can still use them, but I really wasn’t looking to explore a plinking load. Anyone got a favorite recipe to share? 

15 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Hey Cactus Jack Calder…

I did a dope slap 9mm thing today. Was at Scheels and saw 9mm bullets on the shelf. Picked up a box of Berry’s 124 gr Luger plated bullets, but set them back on the shelf while I looked them up on my phone to see if they were ok for my Glock.  Without really looking, I grabbed the box and threw it in the cart. 

When home, I went have to a look at them which of course requires breaking the seal on the box. I thought, “dang these look small.” It was then I noticed the label which said .380 cal 100 gr. Obviously I grabbed the  wrong box. :(

Fortunately I can still use them, but I really wasn’t looking to explore a plinking load. Anyone got a favorite recipe to share? 

Not a problem - I buy the 100 grain X-Treme bullets all the time for my 9mms.  I load them with around 4.1 grains of Titegroup for 1100 f/s, 1.1" C.O.L. and they fly like little laser beams!  Great for steel matches or any place where shot recovery time impacts score.  My 1911 loves them, shoots one hole groups at 15 yds, my Glocks like them and shoot slightly bigger groups (may be the Glock trigger has a bearing on that issue).  I'm planning to do future experimenting with that bullet; I've bought match grade 100 gr 9mm loads that ran at 1000 f/s and were even faster to recover and transition, but that's a matter for when we have lots of primers and powders available again.  You can also use Bullseye and ww231 for loads at this weight - look up load data for 9mm 95 gr lead loads.  These poly coated bullets, or the copper plated (X-Treme) should be loaded as if they were lead.

Enjoy - you might have found yourself a nice play round for games where power factor isn't a criteria!

Shadow Catcher

On 7/23/2021 at 8:40 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Hey Cactus Jack Calder…

I did a dope slap 9mm thing today.

Slim,

My goof was done online, but with a similar result. The big difference was I didn’t have a gun to shoot them with. I have a S&W 9 mm EZ. It was purchased just before the pandemic and I didn’t buy a great deal of ammo for it as I wanted to try different loads to see which worked best. It seems that 124 grn FMJ work best so far but by the time I had that figured out ammo was mostly off the shelves. 20 rnd  boxes were going for what 50 rnd boxes had a short time ago. Then they disappeared also. I’m glad someone could use those Largo shells. 

CJ

My brother in law (great fellow but not too gun savvy) was all excited a few years back, found a couple boxes of 9mm ammo CHEAP for his Taurus. Onliest problem was they were 9mm Makarov. Not sure if they'd chamber and fire in a 9x19 but at least he showed 'em to me before he tried.

JHC

Mak won't fire in a 9x19, the cartridge is larger diameter.

I had an exoerience with plated bullets in my Glock.   Left my dies on the same setings as normal and loaded.  When I shot thru my Glock, I have never had a group like this.. 10 shots @ 12 yards measured  12 x 15 inches.   After losing some religion and hair.   Figured my taper crimp had resized the soft plated bullets to .354  No no to the Glock but Ruger PC 9 and Browning Hi Power shoot then great.  Just something else to think about.   The plated bullets were Xtremem brand not Berry's but guessing they will be soft also.         GW

27 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

I had an exoerience with plated bullets in my Glock.   Left my dies on the same setings as normal and loaded.  When I shot thru my Glock, I have never had a group like this.. 10 shots @ 12 yards measured  12 x 15 inches.   After losing some religion and hair.   Figured my taper crimp had resized the soft plated bullets to .354  No no to the Glock but Ruger PC 9 and Browning Hi Power shoot then great.  Just something else to think about.   The plated bullets were Xtremem brand not Berry's but guessing they will be soft also.         GW

Thx, I read a caution about over crimping when I paused to look them up. However, the caution had more to do with cracking the copper plating than undersizing them. 

Archived