SASS Wire Forum

CEO interference

Tucker McNeely

12 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Let's do some ciphering just for hits and giggles.

5 million reloaders. The vast majority of which are hunters. Granted, I don't know them all but those I do know use way under 100 rounds per year.

So, say 4 million people at 100 per year. That's 400,000,000 primers. Dang, that's a lot!

So, say 20,000 sass shooters reload. I was going through 500 per week for a total of 26,000 per year but let's not use that number. Let's only use 5,000. So, 20,000 times 5,000 is.....100,000,000! 

Those numbers get closer and closer. Have to not only look at the number of people but also their consumption. I know these numbers are arbitrary but it puts it in line. I'm sure we could look at the total number of primers sold and see what percentage of that 100,000,000 primers are.

Amazing...... that is exactly what I was thinking about posting.

..........Widder

Here is my HO. First of all the Demoncrats know they can't take all of the guns from the citizens. So you go after ammo by taxing it hard and restrict how much you can purchase.

A lot of talking points for the Demoncrats come from the NYT. The NYT is sounding the alarm about the re-loaders that could reload  all the ammo they need with out restriction. In the future I willing to bet there will be a call for restricting ammo reloading components;

The second thing is why would and primer manufacturer give a discount when the primers are being sold at a very fast rate. Once the shelves are filled with primers and sales slow down then you may see some movement on the price. That would good especially if the Demoncrats decide to tax and limit sales.

Nawlins

I see we’ve gone a little sideways on the original question, the question was also to lift the quantity restriction on primers.  As @Tennessee williamspointed out SASS shooters load more than hunters and our usage is more likely in line with USPSA and other competitive shoot’in sports, and 1K primers don’t go far. IMHO 

On 7/23/2021 at 5:38 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Brownness would probably say..... ' if its that important, your members should have stocked up

better when the supply was available in quantity.   We at Brownells do appreciate the Cowboy

business and will try to assist when possible.   But, we have a LARGE consumer following and

at present, we are trying to meet ALL disciplines that need reloading supplies.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions or suggestions where I might be able to help."

Sincerely,

Brownells

..........Widder

Hey Widder, I think that's what Larsen and Phantom said...only in a word, NO.

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Hey Widder, I think that's what Larsen and Phantom said...only in a word, NO.

Brevity has never been one of my strong points..... :lol:

Plus, it helps me qualify for one of Phantoms 'subtle' classes.

:D

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Brevity has never been one of my strong points..... :lol:

Plus, it helps me qualify for one of Phantoms 'subtle' classes.

:D

..........Widder

Make a request for my class at EOT...oh...wait...some there may not take this has a joke...

Never mind.

:ph34r:

We also have the bench rest shooters whom, I would say, almost all reload.  I know the ones I am familiar with all reload.  

They don't have custom rifles built to shoot factory ammo.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Numbers - I want numbers!

Any chance of that happening?

:rolleyes:

4/3 of reloaders hate statistics? :rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Sure they do. Any number tossed out is the right number, prove me wrong.

I'm the one that is NOT making statements based on population numbers.

My last statement was about the fictitious numbers you threw up to support your position. The first two numbers 12 and 197, were given as the numbers to support your previous statement: "Steel challenge, 3gun, IPSC all have more members and shoot way more rounds than SASS ".

If you're going to makes statements without facts, fine. Just say you believe your position to be true...it may be! But if you're going to just be funning with folks, use better fictitious numbers ;)

Phantom

1 minute ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

It's fiction so that means there are no rules.

Well...that's actually a funny response.

:P

I just think that we can make guesses...speculate...ponder...etc/etc, but when we make claims of fact, we should have the data to back up these statements. 

I'm not saying you're wrong...but I was hoping that since you stated what sounded like a factual statement, that you'd be able to furnish the actual numbers to back up your statement.

Phantom

The latest info I've seen is USPSA in the U.S. has over 35,000 active members and over 500 affiliated clubs. USPSA is part of the international organization, IPSC, and is the second largest region. As with SASS there are also unaffiliated clubs that shoot cowboy matches and shooters who aren't members that shoot local matches. 

On 8/2/2021 at 3:45 AM, Tequila Shooter said:

I see we’ve gone a little sideways on the original question, the question was also to lift the quantity restriction on primers.  As @Tennessee williamspointed out SASS shooters load more than hunters and our usage is more likely in line with USPSA and other competitive shoot’in sports, and 1K primers don’t go far. IMHO 

Interesting point.  (Although as an IPSC shooter as well  I would suggest the AVERAGE Practical shooter shoots more than the AVERAGE Cowboy.  And in the USA WAY more of that has in fact traditionally been factory ammo) )  Has USPSA been able to finagle a discount on components for their members?  If not, then that only adds to my initial impression that it wasn't going to happen on SASS's asking.... 

Heck, I don't want a discount, I want availability! I want reasonable prices, not twice (or much more) than we were paying 18 months ago.

I want the ammo/component companies to be owned by American entities (not foreign conglomerates) with an ear to the American shooter.

Yes, I know before you even start typing, that we live in a different world, things are not what they were... I get it.

But, that's what I want. I want a lot of things, but this thread is about ammo stuff so...  :D

@Constable Nelson #11784  I was trying to get the topic back on track to what the OP was asking.  The reference with Tennessee Williams was about hunters vs SASS.  IPSC shooters can use factory ammo effectively (when I was shooting USPSA I shot factory 9mm) where most cowboys reload.  The main point I was trying to get across was that OP was asking about getting more than 1K primers at a time. 

Most USPSA shooters shooting any caliber other then 9mm reload. Some shooters in the past didn't bother reloading 9mm because factory ammo was so cheap. A lot more of them now are reloading 9mm especially with the popularity of 9mm pcc carbines. 

Also I saw that IDPA has close to 25,000 members, worldwide, not just the U.S..

Archived