SASS Wire Forum

CEO interference

Tucker McNeely

4 minutes ago, Tucker McNeely said:

Do you think Misty could sway a deal with brownells or midway to give active SASS numbers a break and allow 5k primer purchases to help lower the prices?  

Uhh...no!

Nice thought but CAS is but a small part of the shooting world.

Brownness would probably say..... ' if its that important, your members should have stocked up

better when the supply was available in quantity.   We at Brownells do appreciate the Cowboy

business and will try to assist when possible.   But, we have a LARGE consumer following and

at present, we are trying to meet ALL disciplines that need reloading supplies.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions or suggestions where I might be able to help."

Sincerely,

Brownells

..........Widder

11 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Lmao Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Marshal,

Thats a picture of my wife or girl friend (they both look alike) when I told her that

TN Williams was a good shooter.

:lol:

..........Widder

On 7/24/2021 at 8:23 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Marshal,

Thats a picture of my wife or girl friend (they both look alike) when I told her that

TN Williams was a good shooter.

:lol:

..........Widder

It wasn't what you said that got her tickled. It was that big peice of broccoli stuck in your teeth what got her.

Sides, that's my girlfriend not yourn.

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

It wasn't what you said that got her tickled. It was that big peice of broccoli stuck in your teeth what got her.

Sides, that's my girlfriend not yourn.

That's...uhhhhh...actually, that's not even a woman...

:mellow:

6 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Let's say there is 27,000 active SASS members, its a number last I heard it was 26,000. And they all reload, they don't. That number doesn't even show up on their market capture analysis.

Hmmmm...

So where do you get this from...this 26,000 Reloaders (assumed), not being a significant number. You must know the total population of Reloaders? I'm curious, what is that total population?

Phantom

59 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So where do you get this from...this 26,000 Reloaders (assumed), not being a significant number. You must know the total population of Reloaders? I'm curious, what is that total population?

Did you read what I wrote. 27,000 SASS members and assume they all reload.

Just now, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Did you read what I wrote. 27,000 SASS members and assume they all reload.

Yes...I did read it. Did you proof read it?

You then went on to say that even if they all reloaded that it wouldn't even show up on their "market capture analysis"...this implies that you know the total market size.

Just curious what that number is.

Phantom

3 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

75,349,298 reloaders in America. Just go with the fact that 27,000 shooters is a very small amount of the total shooting populous.

Where did you get this number?

Phantom

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

75,349,298 reloaders in America. Just go with the fact that 27,000 shooters is a very small amount of the total shooting populous.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Where did you get this number?

Phantom

Screenshot_20210728-213433_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6668c150f8ba908f8615d9649ed89a16.jpg

Don't mean to jump in here with yall...well, maybe I do. I was guessing less than 10 percent of shooters. But definitely not 75 million people. This image is from the NY Times so is probably exaggerated.

Of those reloading shooters I know apart from sass and other shooting sports are almost ALL hunters. Those hunters I know fire less than 100 rounds of ammo per season for that which they reload for. So, my guess would be 27,000 buyers who go through as much ammo as we do would be a big chunk. Before the current shortage I averaged 500 rounds per week. 

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Screenshot_20210728-213433_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6668c150f8ba908f8615d9649ed89a16.jpg

Don't mean to jump in here with yall...well, maybe I do. I was guessing less than 10 percent of shooters. But definitely not 75 million people. This image is from the NY Times so is probably exaggerated.

Of those reloading shooters I know apart from sass and other shooting sports are almost ALL hunters. Those hunters I know fire less than 100 rounds of ammo per season for that which they reload for. So, my guess would be 27,000 buyers who go through as much ammo as we do would be a big chunk. Before the current shortage I averaged 500 rounds per week. 

So the population of Reloaders is approximately 5 million.

And what you say carries weight in the Market Analysis...hmmmm...so I would be interested in why Irish Ike seems to think (remember that he stated that he'll assume all SASS active members reload), that the Market consisting on SASS shooters is "too small to even show up on their market capture analysis".

But I do find it quite amusing that he would quote a number that is mis-representing the Reloading population...by like...15 times...assuming that the NYT number is somewhat accurate.

Oh well...such is life on the Wire.

Phantom 

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So the population of Reloaders is approximately 5 million.

And what you say carries weight in the Market Analysis...hmmmm...so I would be interested in why Irish Ike seems to think (remember that he stated that he'll assume all SASS active members reload), that the Market consisting on SASS shooters is "too small to even show up on their market capture analysis".

But I do find it quite amusing that he would quote a number that is mis-representing the Reloading population...by like...15 times...assuming that the NYT number is somewhat accurate.

Phantom 

Regardless of reloader numbers... (Wondering how many Dillons have been sold in the US...that might be a guide???:D) ... ...to suggest any kind of discount for 5,000 primers is extremely hopeful....IMO   I once got a SMALL price reduction for 25,000.... and was suitably grateful...

On 7/23/2021 at 6:33 PM, Tucker McNeely said:

Do you think Misty could sway a deal with brownells or midway to give active SASS numbers a break and allow 5k primer purchases to help lower the prices?  

Have another drink!!:P:lol:

11 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's a BS number like most from the hip responses on here. 27,000 or 13,000 is a small percentage of the total market for reloading. SASS is  blip on the component manufacturers market analysis. 27,000 is .00063% of the reloaders. Using his 45 million and assuming all SASS shooters reload.

6 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

It's a BS number like most from the hip responses on here. 27,000 or 13,000 is a small percentage of the total market for reloading. SASS is  blip on the component manufacturers market analysis. 27,000 is .00063% of the reloaders. Using his 45 million and assuming all SASS shooters reload.

Are you even reading the numbers?

The NYT article number is 5 million. Lets use your new number of 13,000. That's .0026. So that's physical size. Now we can talk about consumption within that market segment as was referred to earlier.

Now we can debate if that's a meaningful number and whether that represents an approachable market.

Your comment about "Hip" responses serves no purpose other than trying to demean folks...well done!

Phantom

I think hold out a bit longer.  We see some inventory trickling in. 

Last Friday Sawmill Mary and I visited a shop not on our normal rotation.  They were well stocked with new gun - lots of plastic.  No trade ins.  The store manager commented they were getting people coming in wanting to sale there black rifles.  But they paid too much for them and she could get new ones at better prices than they wanted. 

Morning all, not going to get in to the how many members reload, not enough members to get the attention of manufacturers etc discussion but will pass along experience from another hobby/passion.  I must give you a little background as part of this so hang in there with me.

A musician, luthier, teacher named Scott Devine created an online music instruction (not sure if empire is the right word but…) academy, training resource, community of bass guitar players.  Being both I can tell you that bass geeks are just as enthusiastic about their passion as are cowboy shooters.  Scott’s Bass Lessons has, per their numbers, some 107K members.  On-line content out the ears, material for everyone from the novice to the touring pro or studio session hired gun.  Some of the best players on the planet along with music educators and master luthiers are all part of his teaching cadre.

Know another feature he has gotten into the mix this past year?  A member discount program on everything from high end instruments and amps to accessories like effects, recording equipment and even strings.  Discounts range from 10%-50% off or specific $ amounts for SBL members
Yep, I hear you “apples and oranges” “not the same thing” “amp manufacturers aren’t running three shifts trying to satisfy demand” and I agree, they aren’t.  Entirely different businesses, different business models, different markets.  

But here is my question, has anyone asked?  

Do we know if any of the manufacturers have been approached to see if they would participate in a SASS member discount program?  Not just component makers but how about Uberti, Pietta, Ruger, Wahmaker, Scully or retailers like Brownell’s or Midway?

Yes I’m going to buy primers, bullets, powder on a recurring basis because I have to if I want to play the game.  By the same token I’m going to spend about $300-400 a year on guitar strings but you can bet I may be playing a lot more on Dunlop strings, or at least trying them again, when they can be bought with a nice discount.   Larry Potterfield of Midway seems like a sharp guy, I wonder what he’d say if we could point 10K potential or probable repeat customers his way.

Just wondering.

All comes down to $$$. If companies are (or will be) making money from a certain venture (whatever that is) then they will go in that direction.

Profit and loss, that's what guides business. If it's not profitable, it will go away. The allegiances and alliances and sentimental thoughts are nice to ponder on, but not very realistic. If SASS reloaders brought (big) profits over other avenues, we would get the consideration... we don't.

On 7/28/2021 at 10:44 PM, Tennessee williams said:

Do you actually believe ANYTHING the NYT publishes? I wouldn't trust them to tell me the world is flat, much less round! :P

Kajun

On 7/28/2021 at 9:38 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Phantom,

I've heard that Snopes and Google use the SASS Wire for their fact checking resource.

:lol::lol:

..........Widder

That's a keeper, Widder.  Just waiting for a chance to work it into a conversation.

On 7/29/2021 at 8:26 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Now we can debate if that's a meaningful number and whether that represents an approachable market.

No company would make a .0026% a priority market share to set priority sales for. You just helped prove SASS isn't a large part of the market

Your comment about "Hip" responses serves no purpose other than trying to demean folks...well done!

Thank you I was going for demeaning people.

And the numbers are still all BS as anyone can create any criteria for establishing their number.

27 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

No company would make a .0026% a priority market share to set priority sales for. You just helped prove SASS isn't a large part of the market

Let's do some ciphering just for hits and giggles.

5 million reloaders. The vast majority of which are hunters. Granted, I don't know them all but those I do know use way under 100 rounds per year.

So, say 4 million people at 100 per year. That's 400,000,000 primers. Dang, that's a lot!

So, say 20,000 sass shooters reload. I was going through 500 per week for a total of 26,000 per year but let's not use that number. Let's only use 5,000. So, 20,000 times 5,000 is.....100,000,000! 

Those numbers get closer and closer. Have to not only look at the number of people but also their consumption. I know these numbers are arbitrary but it puts it in line. I'm sure we could look at the total number of primers sold and see what percentage of that 100,000,000 primers are.

38 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Thank you I was going for demeaning people.

And the numbers are still all BS as anyone can create any criteria for establishing their number.

Your opinion on this matter is weighed appropriately...

Put the shovel down.

Thanks T.W., you've earned yerself some DQ!

Phantom

Archived