SASS Wire Forum

.45 Colt Load, Red Dot or Clays?

Crusty Knees

This is what I have, Clays and Red Dot.  I have 200gr RNFP Bullets and  .45 Colt cases.  Better still, I have some primers!

I've been looking online and Alliant's website, and did a search here.  I can't find any information on Red Dot .45 Colt loads for CAS.

Anybody have any info they can share?

The other powder I have is Clays.  I found data on Hodgdon's site.  I can go with that.  But, thought I'd see if anyone has load data they'd share from experience.

If it matters, I'm shooting Colt-like revolvers with 5-1/2" barrels.

Thanks,

CK

From the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual:

image.png.2654e8a7fcb5673bb01e20f04e9986ab.png

image.png.ee3c29e5a677f51f958ffd1153a78ce7.png

From Modern Reloading 2nd Edition by Richard Lee :

image.thumb.png.fececb5d608bdef48b992a1b2f2b0434.png

My regular 45 load is 4.1 gr Red Dot w/ a 200 gr RNFP Bear Creek or coated bullet. 

The BC bullet went 625fps out of one of my 4 3/4 revolvers (125pf) ... I never measured it w/ the rifle.

IMHO .. Clays and Red Dot are both great for 45 Colts as they aren't very dense ... (fill up more case) ...  

I've been using RedDot in 45 Colt with 200 grain bullets for about 20 years.  I find it consistent in both rifle & pistol loads.  I probably load a tad hotter than others @ 6 grains.  But, this load works for cowboy action and for wild bunch with no need to segregate ammo from either game.

4.0gr  Red Dot works good for me.

For general plinking, I like 4.2 grains of Clays with a 250 grain RNFP. When I travel in the motorhome, my '94 Winchester Trapper is loaded with 5.0 grains of Clays with the same bullet. That's 0.1 below maximum according to Hodgdon and shoots really nice. Plenty accurate too.

5 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

I use 5.5 gr under 200 gr rnfp. 1.57 coal.

735124BA-9568-48B2-BB3D-D599E09E8F06.jpeg

I recognize that manual! Speer No. 10. I bought my copy in 1983 and read it forwards and backwards. I still have it along with nine others in hard copy and another ten on pdf.

I'm running 5.2 grains of Clays under a 200 gr. RNFP

I use 5.0 grains of Reddot (.7cc Lee spoon) for:

.45 Colt (180-200 grain bullets)

.44 Mag (180-200 grain bullets)

.38-40 (180 grain bullets)

I had hangfires in the .45 Colt with less amount of Reddot.

I shoot the .44 and .45 in rifles and pistolas, but I have only a rifle in .38-40.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=4&cartridge=36

This link will give you all Red Dot loads. 

My cowboy load is 5.0 grains of Red Dot under a 200 grain lrnfp set off by a Federal #150 primer. 

On 7/23/2021 at 4:26 PM, Crusty Knees said:

This is what I have, Clays and Red Dot.  I have 200gr RNFP Bullets and  .45 Colt cases.  Better still, I have some primers!

I've been looking online and Alliant's website, and did a search here.  I can't find any information on Red Dot .45 Colt loads for CAS.

Anybody have any info they can share?

The other powder I have is Clays.  I found data on Hodgdon's site.  I can go with that.  But, thought I'd see if anyone has load data they'd share from experience.

If it matters, I'm shooting Colt-like revolvers with 5-1/2" barrels.

Thanks,

CK

They both work well in shotgun, so you might set the Red Dot aside if you reload shot shells.

Archived