SASS Wire Forum

Slicking Up A CZ Sharptail

David Cardin

On 8/13/2021 at 3:51 AM, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

The spring in its relaxed state (which cannot be known because it is captive) MUST IN ALL CASES be longer than the distance between the collars that capture it -- there can be no slack whatsoever.  That much I've figured out.  But how much shorter they can be without ruining their function, I was unable to figure out with just one set to work on.

Another way to lighten a spring is to remove material from the sides of the spring, making the spring wire thinner. I've seen posts elsewhere talking about lightening the hammer springs of Ruger revolvers using that technique.

2 hours ago, Three Nail Norm said:

Another way to lighten a spring is to remove material from the sides of the spring, making the spring wire thinner. I've seen posts elsewhere talking about lightening the hammer springs of Ruger revolvers using that technique.

Perhaps, but I don't think I have the skills to do that without worrying that I've done something that will eventually lead to failure of the spring steel wire.

On 8/13/2021 at 8:15 PM, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

JFYI, due to customer request, we now bob the top corners of the extractor on all our CZ's. All we need now are more CZ's to come in.

Would you care to offer up any tricks or tips for those of us buying these used that need to slick them up? If not, I totally understand not divulging trade secrets.

Archived