SASS Wire Forum

Hollywood leaving California??

Rye Miles #13621

We have been used to seeing the 'little yellow signs' for movie folks to follow to filming areas for years now.

Just about 10 miles North (or so) in Galisteo, NM, is a cowboy town movie set that has been used in many movies. A set in Rio Ranch that was used in Lone Ranger, and the famous set on N 14 that filmed the cattle being brought in town by the boys in The Cowboys.

(I cringe to mention Breaking Bad)

The film Book of Eli (?) Was filmed out here.

In the 60's Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows has an entire section of the movie filmed 10 miles and on South of us ,ending at The NM Boys Ranch...

It has been around a long time here.

I don't like tax payer $$ going to incentives, when our Interstate and Hwys are in such bad shape.

Just now, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I heard they want to name it..... Pimp City.

Parts of iconic Central/ RT 66...well, It has been 'given' to drugs and prostitution.

NY has ' The Ghetto'...

We have 'The War Zone' , er...International Distric is what the city wants to call it.

11 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

don't like tax payer $$ going to incentives, when our Interstate and Hwys are in such bad shape.

There's a debate about tax incentives may make the state more than it gives. It's complicated but it worked here in Cleveland where they filmed a few big Super Hero movies according to the officials. I'm no accountant so I don't know for sure but I do know you have to SPEND money to MAKE money!

Netflix just filmed a movie in Wellington, Ohio, a small town near where we shoot with the Firelands Peacemakers. I'm not sure about tax incentives but Netflix was pretty generous with the town's businesses. They paid them for 3 days while they were closed.

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

There's a debate about tax incentives may make the state more than it gives. It's complicated but it worked here in Cleveland where they filmed a few big Super Hero movies according to the officials. I'm no accountant so I don;t know for sure but I do know you have to SPEND money to MAKE money!

Yes. And I have not seen 'improvements' from the $$ made in the past 10 years from films so far.

But I may not be looking hard enough.

There has been Artwork put on I 40 the last ten years, but I never notice it...being busy trying to stay in the faded lines and missing pot holes!:blink:

5 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

They have to make for the economic loss of End of Trail somehow.  

Our small economies in Moriarty and Edgewood will surely be affected.:(

Even Albuquerque will feel some, but our little areas will feel it quite deeply.

44 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yes. And I have not seen 'improvements' from the $$ made in the past 10 years from films so far.

But I may not be looking hard enough.

There has been Artwork put on I 40 the last ten years, but I never notice it...being busy trying to stay in the faded lines and missing pot holes!:blink:

Sounds like your public officials are not spending your money wisely ! I hear you the roads here in Northeast Ohio are terrible. Some communities are better than others but overall they’re horrible!!

As a long time CA resident, I found OH (Columbus) to be quite refreshing.
The freeways were immaculate and very generous with lanes.

I traveled a lot during my IBM years.. and Columbus is by FAR the most friendly place I ever found.
I always drew a trip there during the dead of winter... wow... it has been many years since I experienced that level of cold.

As to Hollywood moving to N.M... it is already a Blue state.
I have to laugh at Democrats who flee Democrat states because of Democrat policies, only to take those same Democrat polices to their new location.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

We have been used to seeing the 'little yellow signs' for movie folks to follow to filming areas for years now.

Just about 10 miles North (or so) in Galisteo, NM, is a cowboy town movie set that has been used in many movies. A set in Rio Ranch that was used in Lone Ranger, and the famous set on N 14 that filmed the cattle being brought in town by the boys in The Cowboys.

In the 60's Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows has an entire section of the movie filmed 10 miles and on South of us ,ending at The NM Boys Ranch...

I don't like tax payer $$ going to incentives, when our Interstate and Hwys are in such bad shape.

Amen to that.

Over the years, for the few 'stars' I have 'met', they have been pleasant.

Seems the newer ones don't get that they are just another human.

My daughter works in a trendy tacoria.

Just getting back kn their feet after last year, a certain starlett was in town.

The tacoria recieved a call, asking them to close the restraunt for 2 hours, so the starlett could come in!!!

They kindly refused.

The starlett was welcome to come in, but not at fhe expence of the loyal customers!!!

Maybe there IS hope!!!

5 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Ya forgot to mention that Longmire was filmed up in the Valles Caldera (his ranch), Las Vegas (Sheriff's office) and other areas of Northern New Mexico. 

42 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Over the years, for the few 'stars' I have 'met', they have been pleasant.

Seems the newer ones don't get that they are just another human.

My daughter works in a trendy tacoria.

Just getting back kn their feet after last year, a certain starlett was in town.

The tacoria recieved a call, asking them to close the restraunt for 2 hours, so the starlett could come in!!!

They kindly refused.

The starlett was welcome to come in, but not at fhe expence of the loyal customers!!!

Maybe there IS hope!!!

When I was stationed at China lake we used to go up to the Old Mining Town Living Ghost Town of Randsburg for the special events they had on holidays. There are a few B&Bs there but if they know you are with a film crew they WILL NOT rent to you. They got tired of the crews tearing up the town when filming in the area. The studios always paid for the damages but the town decided they were not worth the effort.

Been more than a few A list folks that stayed in Ridgecrest. Some were snobs and some were really nice.

The area in and around Lone Pine was where hundreds of B-westerns as well as a lot of non-western movies were filmed.  Every year they have a film festival and the town is full of original Silver Screen Stars. Almost to a person they were some of the nicest people you would ever meet. Constantly pausing for pictures and autographs. If you are ever in hte area It is a must attend event.

Lone Pine Film Museum

6 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Ain't that the name of a town in the Mississippi Delta to the east of Greenville?:P

Leland?  I lived there from 71-80 but never heard it called that.  Next is Greenwood, Durant, and Starkville 

I haven't seen the greatest movie of the past 25 years mentioned - Wild Hogs!

New Mexico is a rabidly democrat state so any money from the movies isn't going towards infrastructure.  It is going for social services.

I don't know if the move would be good or bad for New Mexico financially, BUT you know all those people will bring their California attitudes, politics and thinking along with them.

10 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Bilbo was one of the Hobbits.

Thank You ......... he looked a lot more like my ex-brotherinlaw in the movie ....... might be the sunglasses ...   :blush:

4 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Leland?  I lived there from 71-80 but never heard it called that.  Next is Greenwood, Durant, and Starkville 

That was supposed to be a joke, Sam, with a nod referring to the foodie's Tamale Trail that runs through the Delta.

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I haven't seen the greatest movie of the past 25 years mentioned - Wild Hogs!

New Mexico is a rabidly democrat state so any money from the movies isn't going towards infrastructure.  It is going for social services.

Madrid and Gallisteo!!! Oops!!

5 hours ago, German Jim said:

I don't know if the move would be good or bad for New Mexico financially, BUT you know all those people will bring their California attitudes, politics and thinking along with them.

Already been here for years.

17 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Sounds like your public officials are not spending your money wisely ! I hear you the roads here in Northeast Ohio are terrible. Some communities are better than others but overall they’re horrible!!

Portage County here. Oh the potholes.

Archived