SASS Wire Forum

Got 3 Million to buy a gun?

John Boy

I've always thought it was pretty funny the old story around fort Sumner was Garrett really used a double barrel shotgun. Someone pays big bucks for a nice old colt and it probably was there that night. But at the same time a good old hammer double someone probably payed $100.00 for is the actual gun used that night and they have no idea. Just like Charles Winsteads 1911 (used on Dillinger) someone has it and doesn't even realize. Gives you something to think about when you get old guns.

40 minutes ago, Blackhawk Kid said:

I've always thought it was pretty funny the old story around fort Sumner was Garrett really used a double barrel shotgun. Someone pays big bucks for a nice old colt and it probably was there that night. But at the same time a good old hammer double someone probably payed $100.00 for is the actual gun used that night and they have no idea. Just like Charles Winsteads 1911 (used on Dillinger) someone has it and doesn't even realize. Gives you something to think about when you get old guns.

Yes sir, I think the real tip off is the Uberti on the barrel 

8 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Now you know why Pat Garrett was killed.   They wanted his valuable pistol.

..........Widder

The killing of Pat Garrett is just as fascinating as some of the uncertainty surrounding the possible killing of Billy the Kid. 

Old West history does not disappoint.  :D

Interesting story...

We met JP and Starr Garrett, became friends.

JP is a or the great-grandson (I believe) of Pat Garrett.

His family was divided, as you can imagine.

I was honored to sing at their wedding.:wub:

JP succumbed to cancer shortly after, and Starr moved to Texas.

Nice folks, and interesting stories were told.

Archived