SASS Wire Forum

Perfect posse size

Ringer

23 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

If we have less than 10-12 everyone loads. Guns on the loading table. Rotate positions. Everyone reloads for the next stage., repeat.

So everyone is loaded and  technically on the "firing line" at the same time? How does that function within the SHB definition?

Firing Line : From the first firearm placed on the Loading Table until all firearms are confirmed as cleared at the Unloading Table. 

What am I misunderstanding?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I think I'll just leave it up to the MDs for the matches I shoot and not crib about it.

Well...yeah...has someone indicated that the decision is someone else's?

2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Perfect?  No. 

Reality? Yep. 

I'm sorry...thought that the topic of this discussion wasn't "Reality", but rather "Ideal".

Soooo...why the discussion about "Reality".

PS: Are you often the "MD"?

Phantom

38 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Are you often the "MD"?

Every monthly club match. 

Actually, I like a little reality mixed in.  But that's just me. 

Dale, all guns are loaded and left on the loading table. Next shooter gos to the table retrieves their guns and is called to shoot. Unloading table, cart. Next stage, repeat. Only one shooter with guns at a time.

23 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Dale, all guns are loaded and left on the loading table. Next shooter gos to the table retrieves their guns and is called to shoot. Unloading table, cart. Next stage, repeat. Only one shooter with guns at a time.

I hit 'like' because you clarified...

Don't really like the 'leaving loaded guns' " unattended"

Discussion?

23 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I hit 'like' because you clarified...

Don't really like the 'leaving loaded guns' " unattended"

Discussion?

I agree.  My antennae popped up at the thought of all those loaded firearms potentially unattended.  (Is there a dedicated AND ATTENTIVE  LTO or are shooters checking each other in the loading frenzy?)

It might be OK, unless somebody knocks somebody's loaded guns off the crowded table.  Since everyone is technically on the firing line at that point and guns are loaded = MDQ  

6 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I agree.  My antennae popped up at the thought of all those loaded firearms potentially unattended.  (Is there a dedicated AND ATTENTIVE  LTO or are shooters checking each other in the loading frenzy?)

It might be OK, unless somebody knocks somebody's loaded guns off the crowded table.  Since everyone is technically on the firing line at that point and guns are loaded = MDQ  

Some matches DO have loading table officers...or we watch each other...

Try to only have 3-4 on table depending on length of table.

Just not a good practice to be 'an arm length' away from YOUR loaded guns. My 2 cents worth.;)

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yes, if we're not careful...

True story. Caught my STI 2011 trying to sneak down the stairs last night...god only knows what was on it's mind.

Phantom

Snarky???

Too many things could happen...too many to count...

1 minute ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Some matches DO have loading table officers...or we watch each other...

Try to only have 3-4 on table depending on length of table.

Just not a good practice to be 'an arm length' away from YOUR loaded guns. My 2 cents worth.;)

Just an FYI - I leave my guns at the loading table on every stage as I return to my cart to put my loading block away and grab a sip of H2O...been doing this for 2.239 million years.

Phantom

16 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Just an FYI - I leave my guns at the loading table on every stage as I return to my cart to put my loading block away and grab a sip of H2O...been doing this for 2.239 million years.

Phantom

Yes my friend...and shortly returning...and there is one or two others there at the table, yes?

I just don't agree with the option of 5 or 6 sets of loaded guns, laid out on the table...it's just my perspective.

(And I'll own it)

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yes, if we're not careful...

True story. Caught my STI 2011 trying to sneak down the stairs last night...god only knows what was on it's mind.

Phantom

I heard it was going out on the town and try to get 'loaded'.

:lol:

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

What age category is that?

On 7/23/2021 at 11:07 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Ummm... We picked brass aaaand had a bunch of elderly folks. If you have 20 folks on a Stage you don't need to break it down into Group A and Group B... Sorry...

It works for us, period. If it doesn't work for you then you do what you want. Ahhhh the beauty of monthly shoots making their own decisions.

Unless things have changed every Winter Range I shot was a no-brass match. And no one on my posse's were hobbling around and unable to work.

13 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

You're assuming there's a loading frenzy.

You're assuming there's a crowded table.

I can see where all posse members loading prior to shooting the stage (notice I didn't say "at the same time", even though that could still be done if the loading table is large enough) would make for a less hectic or maybe even more efficient stage when shooting with a limited number of people.

56 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

It works for us, period. If it doesn't work for you then you do what you want. Ahhhh the beauty of monthly shoots making their own decisions.

Unless things have changed every Winter Range I shot was a no-brass match. And no one on my posse's were hobbling around and unable to work.

When was your last EOT/WR?

And it may work for you...but have you tried running a more traditional posse? Or are you championing it because that the way you've always done it?

Phantom

54 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And it may work for you...but have you tried running a more traditional posse?

At the shooters meeting we ask. One large posse, one large posse split in 2, or 2 small posse's.

The fast able bodied shooters 2 posse's.

The rest can go either way.

Archived