SASS Wire Forum

The price of this pistol will be interesting

Buckshot Bob

"The best dollar eighty I ever spent!!"  

Those coins used in the shotgun load he shot (deputy) "Bob" with should be worth something!!  (they said they were auctioning the shotgun off at the same time) ...

Wonder who was on $5 bills in those days ????

1486695441_18995dollarfront.jpg.84181b2139374351e0ad96ec2d427273.jpg

1518291396_1880fivedollarfront.jpg.f022f28c04cccbdb24ed911b313ec714.jpg

I hope against hope that it is sold to an American, and will stay in this country. I'd hate to see such a famous, and iconic piece of American history, leave the country. If I was the family, I would see if there could be a provision in the sale that specifies it be sold to an American, to stay in this country.  :FlagAm:

I remember, several years ago, reading about a rich middle-eastern man was inquiring if the Alamo would be for sale. 

The thought of that was inconceivable...even more so now, since 911. 

So, after reading that, I always cringe when an iconic piece of American history goes up for auction. 

I would also hope that the buyer would consider loaning it to some museums, for the public to also enjoy. 

The rifle in the picture has a regular loading gate .

The image has been reversed,due to the photography methods of the day.

It only took  nearly 150 years for someone to realize this.

That bill with the Indian. Kind of hard to see what it says about paying.

Will pay five silver dollars to the bearer "something" (that part is written in the middle of that big blue blotch) Washington DC.

Would you have to take that paper note to some particular bank in Washington DC to get your five silver dollars?

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

That bill with the Indian. Kind of hard to see what it says about paying.

Will pay five silver dollars to the bearer "something" (that part is written in the middle of that big blue blotch) Washington DC.

Would you have to take that paper note to some particular bank in Washington DC to get your five silver dollars?

Yeah .. the indian is a silver certificate ... those were out (in all denominations) before federal reserve notes.

I can remember in the 60's w/ I was in school .. they were calling in all silver certificates and we were like "what??!? the money we have isn't any good any more??!?"

This particular indian chief note came out in 1899 .. (too modern for Billy) ... The one below it (w/ Jackson) came out in 1880.

As far as the money and the guns ... I don't get it either ... just more BBQ conversation things ... (but if you have "that" kind of money I guess you have "big" BBQs).   

I'd like to buy it but I'm just a "little shy" of the asking price plus I'd have to shoot it and I don't reload .44's anymore. Oh well!!:(

43 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

It would be a good match to a Colt Single Action from the Little Big Horn.  We need two pistols for SASS.

I think a better match to this one would be Wyatt Earp's #3 American.

It would really be cool to have Pat's gun on one side and Billy's on the other, but I understand that Billy favored double action, and that ain't allowed.

9 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

The rifle in the picture has a regular loading gate .

The image has been reversed,due to the photography methods of the day.

It only took  nearly 150 years for someone to realize this.

I've heard and read about 'reversed' imagery with pictures and such.

What I don't understand in this pic of Billy the Kid is that why the rifle is the only

thing that appears 'reversed'?

The camera taking a pic of Billy's front side can't be taking a pic of the backside of the rifle

at the same time.    Even if mirrors were involved, I don't understand how can it reverse one

object but not another?

..........Widder

its just something about that picture that don't seem right to me.

You would think the person taking the picture would want a good, clearer picture

of his face.   But the only thing clear is his hand holding the rifle..... and the ring on his pinky

finger.

You would also think the 'flash' for the picture would make his face lighter in color,

but the only thing that looks bright is his forearm and hand, also holding the rifle.

I've seen better and clearer pictures of Civil War people than this particular picture.

Have any of you ever seen my 'close up'  picture of Sasquatch?    .

..........Widder

59 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I've heard and read about 'reversed' imagery with pictures and such.

What I don't understand in this pic of Billy the Kid is that why the rifle is the only

thing that appears 'reversed'?

The camera taking a pic of Billy's front side can't be taking a pic of the backside of the rifle

at the same time.    Even if mirrors were involved, I don't understand how can it reverse one

object but not another?

..........Widder

Everything is reversed, he was actually right handed , the photo is what has been credited for everyone thinking he was a lefty 

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

It would be a good match to a Colt Single Action from the Little Big Horn.  We need two pistols for SASS.

Unless you're shooting Gunfighter.

That's when you get a Wyatt Earp AND a Bat Masterson.:D

The part of the article that bothers me is the Springfield rifle that was buried with Wild Bill being up for sale.  Don't hold to grave robbing.  The grave goods that's buried with the dead should stay with the dead.

26 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

The part of the article that bothers me is the Springfield rifle that was buried with Wild Bill being up for sale.  Don't hold to grave robbing.  The grave goods that's buried with the dead should stay with the dead.

Yea, what's the story on the Springfield rifle?  I haven't heard this one.

4 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Yea, what's the story on the Springfield rifle?  I haven't heard this one.

When Bill was laid to rest, he was buried with his prized Model 1870 Springfield rifle that has, apparently, been removed from his casket during his reinterment at Mt Moriah Cemetary (that's odd since Charlie Utter saw to his original burial and supervised the move) in 1879 and has gotten out onto the open market.  Down at the end of the article, there's mention of it being in the same auction as the Pat Garret SAA.

19 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I hope against hope that it is sold to an American, and will stay in this country. I'd hate to see such a famous, and iconic piece of American history, leave the country. If I was the family, I would see if there could be a provision in the sale that specifies it be sold to an American, to stay in this country.  :FlagAm:

I remember, several years ago, reading about a rich middle-eastern man was inquiring if the Alamo would be for sale. 

So, after reading that, I always cringe when an iconic piece of American history goes up for auction. 

I would also hope that the buyer would consider loaning it to some museums, for the public to also enjoy. 

That worries me too. We never did hear who bought Steve McQueen's 1968 Mustang from the movie "Bullitt".

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

When Bill was laid to rest, he was buried with his prized Model 1870 Springfield rifle that has, apparently, been removed from his casket during his reinterment at Mt Moriah Cemetary (that's odd since Charlie Utter saw to his original burial and supervised the move) in 1879 and has gotten out onto the open market.  Down at the end of the article, there's mention of it being in the same auction as the Pat Garret SAA.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/27262/lot/3/

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Ruh-Roh...

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/27262/lot/47/

So there are TWO Single Actions on this auction that are claimed to have been used to kill Billy the Kid. Was Pat Garret dual-wielding at the time? :huh:

If that is a real Bonhams ad it is weird.  Any retard can look up the serial number and see it was made in 1891.  Hickcock died in 1876.  It is hard to believe Bonham's would risk its reputation on such sloppy provenance.

Cameras using the Wet plate Glass method produced a reverse image. The image below I reversed and Billy the Kid was NOT Left Handed. Now we gotta get Paul Newman back from the Dead and do a remake of the Movie "The Left Handed Gun" to the Right Handed Gun. 

Billy the Kid corrected.jpeg

On 7/21/2021 at 10:38 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

While I understand and agree, there might otta be another catch to the sale under your sales agreement... sell it to someone who still appreciates, loves and respects this country. Too many "Americans" don't anymore while plenty of non Americans do.

Funny how the article mentions the movie(s) Young Guns as having depicted Billy the Kid. Seems I remember in Young Guns 2 Billy was not dead; had not been killed by Pat Garrett. The movie gave credence to the idea Brushy Bill Roberts was Billy. In fact, we never saw Pat kill Billy in the movie. Hmmm. ;)

So much for getting Old West history from a movie.

26 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Funny how the article mentions the movie(s) Young Guns as having depicted Billy the Kid. Seems I remember in Young Guns 2 Billy was not dead; had not been killed by Pat Garrett. The movie gave credence to the idea Brushy Bill Roberts was Billy. In fact, we never saw Pat kill Billy in the movie. Hmmm. ;)

So much for getting Old West history from a movie.

Supposedly there is another young guns movie in the works . Don’t know the story line but I got to guess it’s got something to do with Brushy Bill 

Archived