SASS Wire Forum

Father of the Ruger Short Stoke

I have been deleting thousands of photos from my computer and found this old photo of Wes Flowers (Wes Fargo).  The thread on the short stroke reminded me that Wes was the originator of Ruger short strokes.  He was a consummate gentleman.  I sure miss him.

westfargo_s_0005.jpeg

Yes indeed!! A great and helpful man. I have 2 pairs of SS and a regular 4 click that he did for me. Too bad the lifetime warranty is gone. He is missed.

When I joined SASS 15+ years ago, I later was to learn that Wes was synonymous with the term 'Short Stroke' pistols,

in particular..... the Ruger.

Folks back then, and still today, speak very respectable of the man and his work.

..........Widder

Miss him for sure 

Still have a pair of 4 click/half cock NMV he built for my wife. Maybe 1000 rounds through them. First slicked up pistols I ever owned. 
He was always willing to talk guns and was well informed on just about everything you might want to converse about. 
respectfully

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Excellent....miss him.

6 minutes ago, NoN-Stop, SASS # 17670 said:

My brother from another mother, my good friend we all miss you.

Often hear the term, "priceless" used.  I think Wes' friendship is certainly a place where I can say, "priceless". 

Wes was one of the very first CAS gunsmith's I met over 20 years ago thanks to Rattler John.  He is the only gunsmith I ever remember that I let work on my Freedom Arms revolvers other the gunsmith at the factory in Freedom, WY.

10 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Often hear the term, "priceless" used.  I think Wes' friendship is certainly a place where I can say, "priceless". 

Wes was one of the very first CAS gunsmith's I met over 20 years ago thanks to Rattler John.  He is the only gunsmith I ever remember that I let work on my Freedom Arms revolvers other the gunsmith at the factory in Freedom, WY.

I was new to the scene back in early 2004. I met him through Jim. He treated me like he'd known me for years.

He was a rare human being for sure.

Phantom

Manning the entry gate at EOT in New Mexico over the years I got to visit with a lot of CAS folks and every morning when Wes came in and when he left in the evening he’d stop and visit. Every evening he’d ask if he could bring me anything when he came back in the morning. A great man for sure.

26 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I was new to the scene back in early 2004. I met him through Jim. He treated me like he'd known me for years.

He was a rare human being for sure.

Phantom

Think a whole lot of Wes rubbed off on Jim.

Wes was my pard and I miss him too. I have the first pair of NRV that he ever short stroked. Can't remember exactly when, but I bought one of the first pair sold and very soon after I sent them to him for the work. He had already been doing it on the Old models. They have put more rounds downrange than any other guns I own, and have never given me one minute of grief. They continue to work flawlessly. 

Story... he told me that the guns came with a lifetime warranty, his lifetime. Every match I would go to that he was at I would stand back away until he spotted me watching.... he would ask me. "Are you checking on your warranty?' What a guy!

Snakebite

+ 10 on Wes Flowers

For those that don't know Wes was a multi-time champion fast draw competitor.  I think he is the only SASS member that was the main character in a video game.  As you went through the game levels the last and fastest was Wes.  The black and white photo is Wes performing for the troops in Viet Nam.

Wes in Nam 2.jpeg

Fast_Draw_Showdown_Poster.png

Wasn't there a video of Wes taking out several desperados walking down the street? 

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have been deleting thousands of photos from my computer and found this old photo of Wes Flowers (Wes Fargo).  The thread on the short stroke reminded me that Wes was the originator of Ruger short strokes.  He was a consummate gentleman.  I sure miss him.  

sorry I am getting on someone elses post but I am not Blaze I am his better half and Wes' sister, and I want to thank all of you for your kind remarks bout my little brother, he is missed every day and if you ever laughed with him that laugh is missed.  Larsen sorry about posting on your post, but its the only way it would let me on.   It is so good to read how much he was liked by most.  Thanks shooters, and have a blessed evening  Ms. Charmin Char, God Blessl

westfargo_s_0005.jpeg

1 hour ago, twelve mile REB said:

+ 10 on Wes Flowers

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

When I joined SASS 15+ years ago, I later was to learn that Wes was synonymous with the term 'Short Stroke' pistols,

in particular..... the Ruger.

Folks back then, and still today, speak very respectable of the man and his work.

..........Widder

NOW it lets me on after I posted on someone's previous post and I know that isn't the thing to do but I wanted to say THANKS  to all of you for remembering my sweet brother Wes, this is Blaze's wife Ms Charmin Char 1935, WE MISS Wes every day, Wes and I talked about 2-4 times a day, and more closer to the end it gave him something to do and I always made him laugh. Again thanks to all of you for being so kind with your true words,  I so appreciate all of the kind remarks, and will always remember them, most of you I have met some I haven't but I wish you many blessings and God Bless ya'

I have two sets of Wes's hand-machined and fitted ss kits/parts.  I don't have them in my pistols, because the hammer spurs are the original high, narrow kind.  I'm now used to the low, wide Blackhawks, and I'm not about to cut/alter Wes's work.   Their historical value far exceeds my need for ss, being a two-handed shooter. 

Ms. Charmin,

Although I never met Wes, I would like to share a nice story about him.

Back about 13-14 years ago, Badlands Bud and I were dukin it out with videos to see

who could run the fastest Gunfighter speed run  (both pistols firing 5 shots each and

alternating with each revolver).

Anyhow, our videos caught Wes attention and he sent me a PM across the SASS Wire.

He offered to short stroke my Rugers for me.

To my regrets, I didn't take him up on his offer because they were the only revolvers I owned at the time

and I couldn't afford to ship them anywhere.

Anyhow, that was my brief and memorable encounter with your brother.   That thoughtfulness of him

and his kind offer has forever branded a fond memory of him in my life.

He was trying to help me obtain the fastest run capable because his short stroked pistols would have

been a huge help in lowering those speeds.

For the record, that Cowboy Speed GF Record was accomplished using basically stock Ruger

Vaqueros (original style) with only some tweaking of the hammer springs and 1.5 million

dry fire cycles of each pistol.

No doubt, he is a Legend to many of us.

..........Widder (back then, I used the alias Widowmaker Hill)

Thank you Larson for this trip down memory lane.  He did my NMV Vaqueros in Feb. 2007 so I would have them for Winter Range.  Still have the invoice on a piece of 8.5X11 paper.  It says, "Here ya go Sir.  Sorry for the delay, no excuses, just behind is all.  Came out real good, shoot good also.  Total ya owe me is $300, did some things free for ya and I paid shipping.  

Thanks,

Wes Flowers

You don't hardly find gentlemen like Wes anymore. 

Wouldn't sell this piece of paper for any amount of money.

I miss his big smile and friendly manner. Gone too soon.

I was lucky to get my Blackhawks worked on by him and later bought a pair of old Vaqueros with the short stroke. Still got them. Thanks for the memories.

A real gentleman.  Proud to say that I could call him friend 

Archived