SASS Wire Forum

Ruger vaquero short stroke feedback

Tarheel Doc

Considering having my Ruger old vaquero's short stroked.  What is everyone's experience in regards to gunsmiths?  Cowboys and Indians for example.  Are shooters happy with Jim's short stroke jobs?  I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks

I've only had Ruger's set up with short-stroke by Lassiter (Ohio),  BoomStick Jay (TX),

and Three Cut (Carolina).

ALL are excellent.   Years of use and abuse with NO issues or problems.

I can't speak of C&I because I haven't had any.   

I like my short stroke pistols set up with SBH hammers.    I also shoot GF category, which

helps me and my small hands.

..........Widder

I am probably not the one to be giving feedback on Rugers to you since I do not shoot them.  However, in the  last few years I have had some experience in giving them a try and in several forms of action work.  Understand I am a duelist and have been for 20+ years in CAS alone.  I also think very highly of Jim Bowie's work and he a a person, he has done several of mine and Sassy's 73s (six of them have C&I short strokes).  I suspect Jim does fine short stroke Ruger work also but I will base my comment on  my experience thru three different NMV short stroke works.  Sassy shoots full stroke Jimmy Spur NMVs.  IMO, they are probably the smoothest Rugers I have felt in CAS.  The travel of hammer is maybe a tad over  1/8 inch more than short stroke (again my experience) but the "smoothness" is superb.  OK, as a duelist with rather small hands they were out of the plan so tried the short strokes but the weight of the Rugers versus smaller FAs that I had shot for so many years was very noticeable and I felt it would take far more time that I had to give at my age to learn and maintain the competitive level I had progressed to, and for "an edge" I might never see.  So, thru this ramblin' my advice is that no matter if you are a two handed shooter or duelist, try some fellow shooters guns to experience the feel and difference.  If two handed shooter, please try a pair of Jimmy Spur's, not to say someone else is not equal but that is MHO.  You might like the full stroke better  versus SS, but if duelist, by all means yes to SS.  I can suggest who I would use to SS by PM, but it would be thru my fairly limited experience as mentioned.  Main question now is are you a two handed shooter or duelist? 

The Wire has a following...it's kinda like..."well I use so-n-so and he's the BEST!" They're championing their choice.

My Short Stroked Rugers were not done by Jim. That said, I wouldn't hesitate for a second having Jim do my Rugers and using them at the highest levels of competition.

He's a legion and KNOWS HIS STUFF!!!! He's taught countless folks how to do Cowboy Gunsmithing and now their doing the same work as he.

Phantom

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

The Wire has a following...it's kinda like..."well I use so-n-so and he's the BEST!" They're championing their choice.

My Short Stroked Rugers were not done by Jim. That said, I wouldn't hesitate for a second having Jim do my Rugers and using them at the highest levels of competition.

He's a legion and KNOWS HIS STUFF!!!! He's taught countless folks how to do Cowboy Gunsmithing and now their doing the same work as he.

Phantom

Well said...............................

I second what Phantom says and this: I highly recommend you try a pair of short-stroked revolvers that were done by the 'smith you are considering.  While similar, every 'smith's work will have a slightly different feel and you may prefer one over the other.

2 hours ago, Jan Hawkins said:

What is everyone's experience in regards to gunsmiths?  Cowboys and Indians for example.

Acrually he asked for gunsmith recommendations in general.

10 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Acrually he asked for gunsmith recommendations in general.

Yer right...sorry.

I just had it in my mind that he was focused on Jim's work.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

Now...I am laughing because sweet Jim is really not legion!!! He is a legand...I will agree with that!!!:wub:

(The devil made me do it!)

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Actually he's not a "Legand"...he's a Legend!

:o

Hahaha!!! Yes, yes...my spelling can get cofused!!!

Is legand like the 'edge of a shelf'???

Yup...you win. You got me trying to get you!!:rolleyes:

Got a knapkin? I have a bit of egg on my face.:wub:

Just now, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Hmmmm...ledge??? Oh well...love Jim and sweet Sassy!

5 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Let's just say he's a Legend that has a legion of friends...one of them has a last name of Legand.

:rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

See folks...

He was asking about Jim's work.

Phantom

“Cowboys and Indians for example” is what the original post reads… and I know better than to offer an opinion on the wire…:o:P:D

Just now, Sarival Slim said:

“Cowboys and Indians for example” is what the original post reads… and I know better than to offer an opinion on the wire…:o:P:D

Yep - you are right.

Ref: Larsen E. Pettifogger response.

That said, my point about folks Championing the GS that did their work still holds.

Phantom

My big decision is whether or not to put in Shotgun Boogie's myself or send to someone experienced to get the work done.  I like the idea of keeping my free spin which Jim Bowie's conversion does.  So I would appreciate everyone's thoughts.  Thanks

I have no experience installing aftermarket short stroke kits.  My experience with most any kind of firearms maintenance tells me to trust that kind of work to a professional. :wacko:

For that reason both of my SASS Vaquero sets went to Lassiter.  I couldn't be happier.

Understand though, Lassiter doesn't use a kit.  He works his magic on your factory parts with a welding machine, files and stones.  So if you want to be able to convert back to factory that may not be the way to go. 

I'll keep this neutral without injecting my favorite Ruger gunsmith into this... 

But, Jim Bowie has the only Ruger Short Stroke, that I know of, that preserves the Transfer Bar Safety.

Maybe that's important to you, maybe not.  

He has set up a Winchester SxS Shotgun for me for CAS and he did great work.   (I know, this thread is about Ruger Short Strokes, but I thought I'd throw that in there.)

8 minutes ago, McCandless said:

I'll keep this neutral without injecting my favorite Ruger gunsmith into this... 

But, Jim Bowie has the only Ruger Short Stroke, that I know of, that preserves the Transfer Bar Safety.

Maybe that's important to you, maybe not.  

He has set up a Winchester SxS Shotgun for me for CAS and he did great work.   (I know, this thread is about Ruger Short Strokes, but I thought I'd throw that in there.)

Curly Bill Kelly preserves the transfer bar as well.

11 hours ago, Jan Hawkins said:

Considering having my Ruger old vaquero's short stroked.  What is everyone's experience in regards to gunsmiths?  Cowboys and Indians for example.  Are shooters happy with Jim's short stroke jobs?  I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks

I can only speak for the ones I have, my first pair was original model vaqueros done through Slick McClade but Outlaw Grips (I think).  I have a pair of Bisleys done by Boomstick Jay and a pair done by Three Cut. They are all fine pistols. I don’t know how much they would help a two-handed shooter but they are great for an old arthritic duelist!

Randy

Archived