SASS Wire Forum

Win an Engraved '97

Artemus Von Schutze

Would you shoot clean for an Engraved '97? We are under 8 weeks away from the start of the Missouri State Wild Bunch Championship, and we will be awarding one engraved '97 for the top clean shooter! 

Join us Sept 17-19th, Friday starts with sidematches, including a new 3 stage Doughboy/Teddy Roosevelt match, then 10 wild main match stages across Saturday and Sunday. Saturday will feature a banquet with costume and side match awards.  
Doughboy replaces your main match rifle with a BAMM rifle, and Teddy Roosevelt replaces the main rifle with a Rifle Cal lever action rifle. For more details check out the website.

For up to date info and more details check out https://bearcreekvolunteers.com/StateWB.html

With the reputation of A LOT of shooters in Missouri and surrounding states, it could be

all of the top 30 that shoot clean.

There are some mighty good shooters in that part of the country.

..........Widder

I don't care how it's formatted...not my business.

But I think what was being suggested was that all "Clean" shooters have a chance through a drawing consisting of only the "Clean" shooters...I think the thought is a good one if the motivation behind the prize is to offer something nice to perhaps someone that isn't in the Top of the standings.

Phantom

Well to be fair a clean match in Wild Bunch is not exactly common, and closer to the exception. 

Yes, it would go to the clean shooter, and if there is more than one it would go to the fastest of the clean shooters to discourage someone just crawling through the match to be clean.

1 minute ago, Artemus Von Schutze said:

Yes, it would go to the clean shooter, and if there is more than one it would go to the fastest of the clean shooters to discourage someone just crawling through the match to be clean.

For which to some, that is their only chance at accomplishing something remarkable...

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I don't care how it's formatted...not my business.

But I think what was being suggested was that all "Clean" shooters have a chance through a drawing consisting of only the "Clean" shooters...I think the thought is a good one if the motivation behind the prize is to offer something nice to perhaps someone that isn't in the Top of the standings.

Phantom

That is an interesting thought. I would have to look back to be sure, but in Wild Bunch the few clean shooters I have seen are typically middle-of-the-pack and below the top 10. 

11 hours ago, Artemus Von Schutze said:

the few clean shooters I have seen are typically middle-of-the-pack and below the top 10. 

Yep, I think you're right. I don't know that I've ever seen a clean shooter at a monthly match, but I was curious, so I compiled some quick data from WR as a sample. *insert some witty comment about the "show-me" state*

Prior to 2015, there were either no clean WB shooters, or the data wasn't collected. From 2015 to 2020, 0-2% of shooters were clean in any given match, and 33% of the clean shooters across 5 matches were in the top 10. Of all the WB matches ever shot, this is a teeny (and non-representative) sample, so, you know, grain of salt. Match design has a huge impact on shooter cleanliness.

image.png.cdea615c42e5b8b3d32c7f0d0a429593.png

I don't think most Wild Bunch shooters ever expect to be clean. I've never shot a clean match, but I'm sure as heck gonna try in Missouri. A friend of mine always tells me to "get aimey-er" when I inevitably put rounds in the dirt.

Either way, I think it's a cool idea. It's quite a lofty goal to shoot fast and clean in a WBAS match, so this will be a neat prize for the winner.

3 hours ago, C.N. Double said:

*insert some witty comment about the "show-me" state*

Witty or not, it's fact in these parts. I used to work in Kansas for a while and I had the distinct "You gotta show him" reputation. 

We have a had a couple of dag nabits over the last couple of years at MO state, but this may be just enough to encourage a few to get their front site out of the back of the closet. 

On 7/20/2021 at 11:16 PM, Artemus Von Schutze said:

we will be awarding one engraved '97 for the top clean shooter! 

The more I think about this the less I like it.  One of the basic premises in SASS was the "No monetary prizes"  Granted, a shotgun is not a monetary prize, but awarding it to the top clean/male/female/redheaded/baptist/whatever shooter flies in the face of the intent, if not the letter, of that rule.  What next?  How about a rifle to the top male and female shooters?  A pair of pistols to the top Gunfighter?  Heck, maybe someday we will start awarding a Cadillac to the top overall shooter.  Soon Bubba Sharpshooter has won more shotguns, rifles and pistols than he knows what to do with.  How about giving him cash next time to save him the trouble of selling the guns he wins?  A guy might could make a living at this.  Enter the professional shooter bending and breaking any rule he can get by with to win.  Don't worry about all those Uberti, Colt, Winchester, Hodgdon pins on his hat.  Pins aren't logos.  The Wonder Bread and M&M patches on the back of his shirt are ok, they're not gun related anyway.  Well, the ball cap does have the Winchester cowboy on it so I guess it's cowboy enough.  Skeletonized holsters?  Sure, why not?  It's close to a Brigerton(?) rig.

I'll stop now.  I'm getting way too worked up about a match I won't be attending anyway.

I love this game because it's played by people that just like the sport.  Another thread asks "What ran you away from the game?"  This might do it.

Want to give away a gun or a Cadillac?  Go right ahead, but make it a lottery or a raffle.  Don't give it as a trophy.

Personally, if all the "free" guns went away from the sport I wouldn't miss them.  They just increase the cost of matches anyway and I'd be happier if I could save a couple bucks on an entry fee.

I     don't      like    it     At        All

Rant over,

Angus

Wow! 

Angus . Just wow! 

Once upon a time winners could win something nice and meaningful and not be ridiculed.   In SASS! 

Im reminded of that old saying” son you would gripe if you was hung with a new rope” 

6 minutes ago, Dusty Boddems said:

Wow! 

Angus . Just wow! 

Once upon a time winners could win something nice and meaningful and not be ridiculed.   In SASS! 

Im reminded of that old saying” son you would gripe if you was hung with a new rope” 

No ridicule meant at all towards winners of anything.  Their game their rules.  The OP appeared to be asking for feedback.  I gave mine.  No insult meant.  I just strongly disagree with the method chosen to award the gun and I told him.  I can't be the only one that disagrees with it.  I may be the only one to voice that opinion.  We can't all be popular.

YOU'RE GOING TO HANG ME?!?  Heck, yeah, I'll be giving anyone involved in the attempt an earful right up to the point I become oxygen deficient. :P

New rope?  Yeah, but I happen to know you bought it at the Dollar Store, ya cheap polecat.

Angus

53 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

The more I think about this the less I like it.  One of the basic premises in SASS was the "No monetary prizes"  Granted, a shotgun is not a monetary prize, but awarding it to the top clean/male/female/redheaded/baptist/whatever shooter flies in the face of the intent, if not the letter, of that rule

Seriously????

I take it you never went to EOT in California...

:lol:

55 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

The more I think about this the less I like it.  One of the basic premises in SASS was the "No monetary prizes"  Granted, a shotgun is not a monetary prize, but awarding it to the top clean/male/female/redheaded/baptist/whatever shooter flies in the face of the intent, if not the letter, of that rule.  What next?  How about a rifle to the top male and female shooters?  A pair of pistols to the top Gunfighter?  Heck, maybe someday we will start awarding a Cadillac to the top overall shooter.  Soon Bubba Sharpshooter has won more shotguns, rifles and pistols than he knows what to do with.  How about giving him cash next time to save him the trouble of selling the guns he wins?  A guy might could make a living at this.  Enter the professional shooter bending and breaking any rule he can get by with to win.  Don't worry about all those Uberti, Colt, Winchester, Hodgdon pins on his hat.  Pins aren't logos.  The Wonder Bread and M&M patches on the back of his shirt are ok, they're not gun related anyway.  Well, the ball cap does have the Winchester cowboy on it so I guess it's cowboy enough.  Skeletonized holsters?  Sure, why not?  It's close to a Brigerton(?) rig.

Black Angus, while I can understand your remarks to a point, I can't say as I quite get the level of frustration. I am not sure how familiar you are with Wild Bunch shooting at a large match, but look at CN Doubles post above. It is not a common thing. We only said fastest to make sure we don't have a pile of people crawling through the match to be clean. A clean state Wild Bunch match is an exception, so this should be a fairly special thing.

Just now, Artemus Von Schutze said:

Black Angus, while I can understand your remarks to a point, I can't say as I quite get the level of frustration. I am not sure how familiar you are with Wild Bunch shooting at a large match, but look at CN Doubles post above. It is not a common thing. We only said fastest to make sure we don't have a pile of people crawling through the match to be clean. A clean state Wild Bunch match is an exception, so this should be a fairly special thing.

PS: You shouldn't give a dang about controlling how fast or how slow folks want to shoot a match. If that's your reasoning/motivation, I'd suggest you reexamine.

Phantom

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Seriously????

I take it you never went to EOT in California...

:lol:

You are correct.  Way above my pay grade.  I take it you are saying I am incorrect.  Could be, but the idea of no cash or expensive prizes was presented to me as one of the main principles involved when SASS was formalized to prevent it becoming like the shooting sports the Wild Bunch was trying to escape.  Could be I was misinformed.  :)

Artemus, the number of clean shooters has nothing to do with the matter.  MY feeling is it should be done by lottery or raffle and not by who shoots fastest.  Your shoot, your rules.  I just disagree.  You say a clean shoot should be a special thing?  But only if you're fast?

3 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

You are correct.  Way above my pay grade.  I take it you are saying I am incorrect.  Could be, but the idea of no cash or expensive prizes was presented to me as one of the main principles involved when SASS was formalized to prevent it becoming like the shooting sports the Wild Bunch was trying to escape.  Could be I was misinformed.  :)

Artemus, the number of clean shooters has nothing to do with the matter.  MY feeling is it should be done by lottery or raffle and not by who shoots fastest.  Your shoot, your rules.  I just disagree.  You say a clean shoot should be a special thing?  But only if you're fast?

Would Colt SAA's be considered expensive?

Cash is exactly that - Cash.

Phantom

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Would Colt SAA's be considered expensive?

Cash is exactly that - Cash.

Phantom

I was not around SASS back then but I have heard of how Colt gave out SAAs at the time. They were and are expensive.

Hey Angus, it's OK pard.   These are some good guys, putting on a great state shoot.  All they are trying to do is give folks an incentive to come to their match.    It is very tough to shoot a clean match in Wild Bunch, so that would be quit an accomplishment.  Don't know were the '97 came from, but I'll bet our friend Scratch done the engraving on it.  

I shoot with Artemis and crew at the Bear Creek Range since I moved to Missouri.  

They are a great bunch of people and are trying to put on the best shoot they possibly can .

This isn't a stand and deliver range. They have more target shapes and sizes at more different distances , than ive seen in a very long time. Clean matches are a rarity here for any shoot held here. The 97 give away is a neat idea to try and attract shooters and I support  the idea whole heartedly

Archived