SASS Wire Forum

Grip frame swap omv/nmv

Turkey Flats Jack

Have any of y'all done this? I attempted to change my omv plow handle for a nmv bisley gripframe. Screw holes line up and grip frame mated up to the omv frame just fine. But the cylinder won't lock up correctly. Best I can tell is the nmv latch spring and plunger are at an angle where as the omv is basically vertical. Wish I had been smart enough to take pictures. If that's not the issue please point me in the right direction. 

The omv grip frame will need modified to mate up to the nmv frame but I don't want to alter it until I can get the bisley grip frame working on the omv. 

If I order bisley gripframes from Midway how do I tell the difference when ordering between old model and new model? 

Thanks,

T.F. Jack

Old model Bisley gripframe on left New Model plowhandle on right.  The difference as far as mating the gripframe to the frame is the OMV has the two little ears marked in red.  You have to grind, file or mill these off.  The latch spring and plunger are the same.  The Bisley trigger is shaped different than the plow handle trigger and it is harder to mate the Bisley gripframe to the frame since you have to wiggle it to clear the Bisley trigger and the plunger can miss hitting the bottom of the cylinder latch.  I always just press on the latch with my finger after I get the grip frame and frame together but before I put in any screws.  If there is no spring tension on the cylinder latch you missed the latch and have to try again.  They don't make OMV gripframes any more so you will get NMV gripframes.

DSC_0006.jpeg

You did not mention it in your post so I thought I better post a photo just in case.  You do realize the Bisley trigger (left) and plow handle trigger (right) are different?

DSC_0004.jpeg

@Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 yep I noticed everything you've mentioned. I'm not a fan of the bisley trigger so had planned on milling out a bit of the omv plow handle to accommodate the bisley trigger and leaving the vaquero trigger in the one with the bisley gripframe. I knew I'd have to remove the ears on the plow handle to mate up to the new model.  So with what you said about needing to be more mindful of the plunger and spring I may just need to try it again and see if I can get it lined up correctly. 

Thanks for the info.

T.F. Jack

And the first 2 are swapped. Can't believe I gave up so easily the first time around. I did have to mill out .25" of the trigger housing on the omv gripframe to accommodate the bisley trigger. However now I'm stumped on which one I like the feel of better. The plow handle with bisley hammer and trigger does feel quite nice. I'll give them both a run at the range and see which one speaks to me lol

20210721_205045.jpg

Added note in case someone else does this. Ended up milling more like 3/8" for the bisley trigger to fit through AND function correctly. Also had to take a couple thousandths off the bottom of the bisley trigger so it would clear the omv plowhandle trigger guard. 

Archived