SASS Wire Forum

At risk of opening the proverbial can...

Just some info:

He does reload for his regular uses.

He does shoot, so not entirely 'new'...just to CAS interest.

The reason for asking is, like most of us, is trying to find the fit that his rifle will like.

Nothing more frustrating than a finicky bird, not eating what you put in it to feed!!

My old Marlin ate anything you fed it.

My '73 not so much...but Shanley's likes a certain OAL!

Thanks Gents! We have several we can help him with.

We will walk him through the reloads here at the house with our equipment and see if he finds one that is a fit!

Will update when we have a winner, or come back for more 'trouble shooting' ideas.

I got my Uberti 1860 Henry in 1987 for $539.99. (I bought a Uberti 1866 in .44WCF the same day for $439.99.    This one came from EMF.  Insurance settlements are very handy sometimes).  It came from Santa Fe arms through Winston Sporting Goods, both of which are long gone. It's a .440WCF /.44-40 and shoots well with almost everything I have fed it.  Some reloads didn't work too well.

Like all 1860s it is a pain to load and about as heavy as a school bus, but it was so accurate right out of the box that I have never changed the setting on the sights.

One caution:  I won't shoot BP in it because the barrel gets so hot that I can't hold it and I don't like to shoot with glove.....and I hate cleaning up after a day of shooting BP.

PS. if he gets the "military model" Dixie Gun Works sells a very well made and accurate "hook and eye" sling for it.

13 hours ago, Cholla said:

I love my USA-made Henry 1860 but it's so dang pretty I don't want to mess it up. I am tempted to get a used Uberti Henry that's already got dings.

Just an FYI, I was at a match with a Henry Big Boy shooter. He and I were at the reloading table that was facing down range. The follower got away from him as he was loading and shot out into the range. Not a huge deal but it embarrassed the heck out of him to have to call a cease-fire to get his gun part.

Shot with a fellow that had his launch down range while he was shooting a stage. Double check the mag follower is locked in fully.

Since your friend has experience with reloading caution him about using only full flat nose bullets. Blackwater had some with about a .015 cone which led to a magazine detonation, this gun is designed in a way that make this slightly more likely to happen. Not fun, dangerous and expensive to fix.

Imis

3 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

What OAL do you go?

He is also doing bp sub for him to try.

Thanks!

.44 w.c.f. - 

Trim - 1.582 "

Maximum Case - 1.305 "

Maximum Overall - 1.592 "

My rifles, most especially my flintlocks, do not like the blackpowder substitutes, so I never use that. I stick with real black powder. I have almost no experience with the substitutes. Not saying anything negative about them, lots of folks use, and love, the substitutes.  

Archived