SASS Wire Forum

At risk of opening the proverbial can...

For Henry Rifle shooters ONLY.

Have a friend who is interested in CAS...AND will be using a Henry, and ONLY a Henry. Fact. End of story.

So, my question put to you, the HENRY shooter...

What works best in YOUR Henry for cartridges?

From bullett type, to length, to powder and all.

All different calibers, please...

And GO!:wub:

5 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Uhm....hmmmm...

Lets start with the American Henry...

(Wich I know nothing about) 

Or give me specs on both!

The modern made replicas (from Italy but sold by various distributors in the US) of the Model 1860 rifle developed by B. Tyler Henry or the folks over in Brooklyn using the name currently?

And ..there is also the 1860 Henry made by Henry Arms.

This is a very fine rifle that is well suited for CAS IF the shooter is aware of and accepting of the peculiarities of the 1860 Henry.

3 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Doesn’t matter, what caliber does he have? Or has he not bought the gun yet?

Lets give him what works for YOU with what YOU use, and go from there.

I believe he has several cals.

The USA Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt has a spring fit extractor in the  bolt and will depart the rifle if loading from the port or trying to run it to fast. A stovepipe in the ejection port  will cause the e tractor to depart the rifle. Running it slow and steady, it is a heavy, accurate rifle. Not for speed.

Fox

6 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

The modern made replicas (from Italy but sold by various distributors in the US) of the Model 1860 rifle developed by B. Tyler Henry or the folks over in Brooklyn using the name currently?

Tell me what YOU have and USE.

5 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

The USA Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt has a spring fit extractor in the  bolt and will depart the rifle if loading from the port or trying to run it to fast. A stovepipe in the ejection port  will cause the e tractor to depart the rifle. Running it slow and steady, it is a heavy, accurate rifle. Not for speed.

Fox

Great info.

Do you have a powder you like best? Bullet style? Weight?

Overall lenghth?

3 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Lets hear what works for all cals.

.38 Special 

KISS of reloading and easy on the wallet.

125-158gn RNFP bullet, 3.8-4.0gn of Unique and a C.O.A.L. of 1.460"

Std primer and firm roll crimp.

OLG 

3 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

45 Colt, 200 Gr rnfp, 4-5 gr reddot or promo, tight crimp.

Thank you!!!

What OAL works best for you Fox?

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

.38 Special 

OLG 

Thank you!!! That's what we are looking for!!!

I have not shot one but have helped a shooter with one in 38/357 at a match TS his.

It was very picky about OAL and bullet profile. His loved a factory semi-jacketed 357. Unfortunately cannot use them in SASS. 

If it were me I would shoot a BB in 45 Colt before one in 38/357 as 45 Colt has only one OAL Where as a 38/357 is trying to accommodate two very different OALs.

Wish I could be of more help.

I love my USA-made Henry 1860 but it's so dang pretty I don't want to mess it up. I am tempted to get a used Uberti Henry that's already got dings.

Just an FYI, I was at a match with a Henry Big Boy shooter. He and I were at the reloading table that was facing down range. The follower got away from him as he was loading and shot out into the range. Not a huge deal but it embarrassed the heck out of him to have to call a cease-fire to get his gun part.

8 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I have not shot one but have helped a shooter with one in 38/357 at a match TS his.

It was very picky about OAL and bullet profile. His loved a factory semi-jacketed 357. Unfortunately cannot use them in SASS. 

If it were me I would shoot a BB in 45 Colt before one in 38/357 as 45 Colt has only one OAL Where as a 38/357 is trying to accommodate two very different OALs.

Wish I could be of more help.

All info is helpful. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I love my USA-made Henry 1860 but it's so dang pretty I don't want to mess it up. I am tempted to get a used Uberti Henry that's already got dings.

Just an FYI, I was at a match with a Henry Big Boy shooter. He and I were at the reloading table that was facing down range. The follower got away from him as he was loading and shot out into the range. Not a huge deal but it embarrassed the heck out of him to have to call a cease-fire to get his gun part.

Oh my!!! Good to note!!!

1 minute ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

There is a big difference between a Henry Big Boy and an 1860 Henry. So which Henry rifle are you asking about?

Cowtown...not sure.

He has a couple...

I can ask him for more specifics...

Just now, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Are we talking about a Henry Repeating Arms rifle a.k.a. Big Boy or replica of the 1860 Henry made by Uberti or HRA?  Totally different guns. 

I am pretty sure Repeating Arms....

But will ask for sure.

7 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

For Henry Rifle shooters ONLY.

Have a friend who is interested in CAS...AND will be using a Henry, and ONLY a Henry. Fact. End of story.

So, my question put to you, the HENRY shooter...

What works best in YOUR Henry for cartridges?

From bullett type, to length, to powder and all.

All different calibers, please...

And GO!:wub:

My loads are win 231 powder pushing 158 grn rnfp missouri bullet cowboy #15 in a 38 case to a 357 coal. My Rossi can be finicky so load same for all. I dont have a Henry but it would probably work.

I have a Cimarron/Uberti Henry, in .44 w.c.f.. Mine has the antique finish. If I had had two grand I would have gotten the American made one, but I got Cimarron, new, for a lot less than that. Economics dictates a lot...for me anyway. 

I intended to shoot black-powder in it, so I chose the .44 w.c.f., because the case is slightly tapered, and it MAY help prevent some blowback of the blackpowder, that sometimes MAY happen to a straight walled case, such as the .45 Colt. 

Not everyone has had that experience, but some have stated they have, so that is why I chose the .44 w.c.f. caliber to help head that potential problem off at the pass...as it were.  

I put about 34-36 grains of 3-F blackpowder, in the case. Some use 35 grains of 2F.  Because of the modern design of the case, it won't hold 40 grains of black powder Muzzle velocity, with the 35 grains of 2F, is about 1,205 f.p.s., and at 100 yards about 960 f.p.s. 

Your friend needs, and like as not, has, a reloading manual, and it has the specs for the case length, and the overall cartridge length, of whatever cartridge he ends up choosing. He needs to invest in a quality set of calipers, to measure the case length, if he reloads. Right now the Henry can only be had in .45 Colt, or .44 w,c.f. calibers.

I don't use a filler in the cartridge, I just fill it with the required amount of 3F black powder, and go. At the c.a.s. or the cow pasture ranges, we shoot, we are not too concerned with 1000 yard moa accuracy. We are talking a pistol cartridge in a rifle, so as long as the base of the bullet compresses the black powder, if you are using black power, then that should suffice. A loading manual will recommend the correct smokeless powder type, and charge.  

If I ever need a filler, in say another cartridge, I use Cream of Wheat. Some use grits, but I don't eat them, or use them. We do not consider ourselves southerners, so grits are not a big item here. 

As you probably know...each rifle has it's own preference for a particular brand of powder, amount of powder, bullet type, and even the brand of primer. He will have to experiment to see what his Henry likes best. 

.44 wcf. caliber:

Bullet = .427"  - 200 grain, flat nose, or semi-wadcutter. I lube with SPG.

I don't cast my own bullets.

My Two Bits.

W.K.

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

.38 Special 

OLG 

This is what I use but 3.6 grains of Tite-Group instead. I have a 73 and a 66 but I let a shooter borrow some of my ammo for his Brooklyn made Henry and they worked fine.;)

5 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

My loads are win 231 powder pushing 158 grn rnfp missouri bullet cowboy #15 in a 38 case to a 357 coal. My Rossi can be finicky so load same for all. I dont have a Henry but it would probably work.

Worth a try. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I have a Cimarron/Uberti Henry, in .44 w.c.f.. Mine has the antique finish. If I had had two grand I would have gotten the American made one, but I got Cimarron, new, for a lot less than that. Economics dictates a lot...for me anyway. 

I intended to shoot black-powder in it, so I chose the .44 w.c.f., because the case is slightly tapered, and it MAY help prevent some blowback of the blackpowder, that sometimes MAY happen to a straight walled case, such as the .45 Colt. 

Not everyone has had that experience, but some have stated they have, so that is why I chose the .44 w.c.f. caliber to help head that potential problem off at the pass...as it were.  

I put about 34-36 grains of 3-F blackpowder, in the case. Some use 35 grains of 2F.  Because of the modern design of the case, it won't hold 40 grains of black powder Muzzle velocity, with the 35 grains of 2F, is about 1,205 f.p.s., and at 100 yards about 960 f.p.s. 

Your friend needs, and like as not, has, a reloading manual, and it has the specs for the case length, and the overall cartridge length, of whatever cartridge he ends up choosing. He needs to invest in a quality set of calipers, to measure the case length, if he reloads. Right now the Henry can only be had in .45 Colt, or .44 w,c.f. calibers.

I don't use a filler in the cartridge, I just fill it with the required amount of 3F black powder, and go. At the c.a.s. or the cow pasture ranges, we shoot, we are not too concerned with 1000 yard moa accuracy. We are talking a pistol cartridge in a rifle, so as long as the base of the bullet compresses the black powder, if you are using black power, then that should suffice. A loading manual will recommend the correct smokeless powder type, and charge.  

If I ever need a filler, in say another cartridge, I use Cream of Wheat. Some use grits, but I don't eat them, or use them. We do not consider ourselves southerners, so grits are not a big item here. 

As you probably know...each rifle has it's own preference for a particular brand of powder, amount of powder, bullet type, and even the brand of primer. He will have to experiment to see what his Henry likes best. 

.44 wcf. caliber:

Bullet = .427"  - 200 grain, flat nose, or semi-wadcutter. I lube with SPG.

I don't cast my own bullets.

My Two Bits.

W.K.

What OAL do you go?

He is also doing bp sub for him to try.

Thanks!

Archived