SASS Wire Forum

Skb help

evil dogooder

So I have always hated skbs.  I've had 3 and just didn't like the way the grip felt or the slower single trigger. 

But the dang things just keep popping up.  I passed up on a 28 gauge  in presentation case today. Highly engraved .   Old stock but fired only one round per barrel.   It went for 650. Pretty sure I let a deal go by but I have no use for it.

The other was a model 100 28" barrels 12 ga.  Start of a crack in the scallop.    About 90 percent.     This  is the one that followed me home.  Im debating on keeping it and cutting it down to fit my son to shoot due to it being cheaper than picking up another stoeger.    Are there any issues with the model I should look for?   What is the rough value on one of these?    Any help is appreciated thanks

Not really helping but I buy everyone I find for that price       GW

I'll keep you in mind G W. Ive seen 6 in the last 2 weeks go between 600 and 1000

29 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

I'll keep you in mind G W. Ive seen 6 in the last 2 weeks go between 600 and 1000

Been a pretty good while since I've seen an SKB unmolested go for less than $800.

Kajun

Most of the ones that end up on Gunbroker have been selling upwards of $1,100. Keep in mind that the 12 gauge ones are the most desirable. The last one I bought was 12 gauge model 100 with engraved blued receiver about 18 months ago and I believe I paid $975. for it. I put about $250 into it to make it ready for SASS

TB

They're all worthless.  Send them to me and I'll make sure they get disposed of properly.  And to show what a great guy I am I'll pay for the shipping.  I don't make this offer to everyone so you should jump on it while I'm feeling generous. ;)

If you keep that 12 gauge for your son to use, get the stock repaired to pull that crack together and get a professional-quality bedding job done to get a 100% fit between wood and steel at the scallops and tangs.  Glass bedding is cheaper and if done professionally, probably just as strong as wood to metal, or more so.  The most common problem that SKBs have is splitting buttstocks - sometimes due to loose mounting bolt, sometimes due to sloppy fitting between wood and steel.

Modding it to be a great cowboy gun will raise the value to action shooters, and lower the value to other shooters.   I try to separate the concepts of usefulness for cowboy shooting and the "resale value" of the gun, so I don't try to solve for two "variables" at the same time.    So, if I want it to be a great competition gun, I do what is required to get there.   If I want to speculate on increasing future value to a general buyer (which I've never wanted to), I would do nothing to the gun but preserve it's factory condition as close to original as I can.

Remember that competing hard with any of our guns will "use them up" fairly quickly - especially the wood furniture and metal finish.

good luck, GJ

51 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If you keep that 12 gauge for your son to use, get the stock repaired to pull that crack together and get a professional-quality bedding job done to get a 100% fit between wood and steel at the scallops and tangs.  Glass bedding is cheaper and if done professionally, probably just as strong as wood to metal, or more so.  The most common problem that SKBs have is splitting buttstocks - sometimes due to loose mounting bolt, sometimes due to sloppy fitting between wood and steel.

Modding it to be a great cowboy gun will raise the value to action shooters, and lower the value to other shooters.   I try to separate the concepts of usefulness for cowboy shooting and the "resale value" of the gun, so I don't try to solve for two "variables" at the same time.    So, if I want it to be a great competition gun, I do what is required to get there.   If I want to speculate on increasing future value to a general buyer (which I've never wanted to), I would do nothing to the gun but preserve it's factory condition as close to original as I can.

Remember that competing hard with any of our guns will "use them up" fairly quickly - especially the wood furniture and metal finish.

good luck, GJ

Do you have someone you would recommend for the stock?  

2 hours ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Most of the ones that end up on Gunbroker have been selling upwards of $1,100. Keep in mind that the 12 gauge ones are the most desirable. The last one I bought was 12 gauge model 100 with engraved blued receiver about 18 months ago and I believe I paid $975. for it. I put about $250 into it to make it ready for SASS

TB

What all gets done to an skb?  

Do you have someone you would recommend for the stock?  

A frequent poster here and stockmaker - Ace of Hearts.  No, with a great deal of sorrow - too late to seek his assistance.

Couple of fantastic gun restoration companies - Turnbull or Run-n-Iron.

But local stock wood craftsmen probably will be cheaper and faster.   Your local guy might be someone at Alhman's in Morristown, MN, like Bob Kolling.

Ask around your local matches - good stock makers/fixers sometimes do little advertising.

good luck, GJ

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

A 28ga...for $650?

That's a deal...

Yes I was biding on it until I realized I was going agaisnt a high school trap shooter.  So I bowed out. Learned later he was buying his first gun, made me wish I had quit sooner. 

19 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Yes I was biding on it until I realized I was going agaisnt a high school trap shooter.  So I bowed out. Learned later he was buying his first gun, made me wish I had quit sooner. 

If he got it for $650, he still did real good!

;)

Doc Noper is good on SKB’s. The early 100’s have a single locking lug. Later ones have a double locking lug. Mine is a single lug and I haven’t had any trouble with it for our game. 

4 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

What all gets done to an skb?  

Barrels shortened to 20", chambers funneled and polished, action smoothed out, work on hinge for easy opening, cocking springs lightened, leather but pad with recoil absorbing material installed, LOP set for the shooter, large brass bead installed. I left it as inertia triggers as they work fine with Winchester Low Noise Low Recoil shells.

TB

Fast Eddie is the man for SKB work. I have three he worked on and they’re all very nice.

I have an automated search that runs every night on Gunbroker. I get emails listing all new listings for certain guns, SKB being one of them. 

Current prices are running $1,200-$1,800. I saw one go this morning for $1,400. LNIB 12 gauge 100.

OTH, if you’re patient, deals can be found. 

I bought an SKB 100 for $555 last week. The stock has an ugly repair, barrels already cut to 18.5 (I prefer 22), bluing is yuck, and the ugliest bead I’ve ever seen. BUT, mechanically sound. I’ll cold blue it, if needed swap one of the two spare SKB stocks I have onto it, and get Eddie to work his magic. I should end up with a perfectly functioning slicked up SKB for less than $1,000.

No more sharing, all four of us will have one.

BTW, nice meeting you at EOT. Thanks for the help backing my truck out.

A second recommendation for Fast Eddie to do SKB work.  Excellent work, you will not be disappointed. I had Fast Eddie do two SKBs for me, he is so meticulous that if you close your eyes you can't tell the difference between the two shotguns action and function. 

I have no idea what magic Fast Eddie does on those SKB shotguns, but I have two of them and they are well worth the money.  Both of mine have been changed over to mechanical triggers.  

I’ve got some of Fast Eddie’s magic mechanical SKBs and they are great. Wouldn’t trade any of mine for a 1000 primers. ;)

Kajun

4 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

I’ve got some of Fast Eddie’s magic mechanical SKBs and they are great. Wouldn’t trade any of mine for a 1000 primers. ;)

Kajun

KK,

Sassy and I have a few of those FE SKBs also, but I would not mind having another so if yours is a 200e, I'll go 2000 primers, and even GM200Ms. 

:D

41 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

KK,

Sassy and I have a few of those FE SKBs also, but I would not mind having another so if yours is a 200e, I'll go 2000 primers, and even GM200Ms. 

:D

You are so giving but I think I’ll have to pass on you most generous offer. I’ve grown fond of mine and would not part with them. 

Kajun

Archived