SASS Wire Forum

RWS #10 caps and Treso nipples

Iron Pony

Went out and bought a supply of the RWS 1075 caps for the 1860s, neither Remington or CCI were to be found, and got to the range this morning to give them a try.  I have had Treso brand nipples in place of the stock Uberti ones long enough that apparently the brand, Treso, is no longer being made.  Std powder charge is about 26 grains of 2f.  Wanted to make sure the RWS were compatible with the guns as I'm pretty sure the only brand I've ever used were the Remingtons.

The RWS fit the nipples well enough though I must have one with some type of burr on it as the caps didnt fit as far on and was very close to draggin on the recoil shield.  What really surprised me was the, well I wont call it disintegration of the fired caps, but there wasnt much left after firing.  Didnt feel any hits on hand/wrist/face from cap fragments and didnt stick aything inbetween the hammer and frame which is always joy dealing with on the clock.  Not sure if other cap and ball shooters have the same experience as I but SOP at the unloading table was to pick or shake the remains of the cap off most of the nipples to show clear.

May stick the original nipples back on and give them a try just for fun but this is making me wonder if any frontiersman have similar experience or tried this brand with the slix shot nipples.

Treso nipples are still being made.

Search "treso nipples" on ebay & you'll find lots

--Dawg

http://www.tresollc.com/

I just talked to the owner, Don Miner, and he verified that they are still being made!

I usually get mine from The Possibles shop in arizona

--Dawg

How comfortable are you at wanting to fit the nipples to the caps?  Meaning you will have Emory cloth or stone the nipple so the caps fit better.  Now if you fit them to the rws caps they become useless for CCI or Remington caps.

I fit my slix nipples for #11 CCI caps. Drastically helped with cap frags and jams in my ROAs using CCI and Remingtons.  ymmv

Thanks Dawg, my quick search didnt come up with any results.  

Tucker I'm not going to modify aything, yet.  Couple of shooting pards advised the same thing, CCI#11s worked best with the Slix nipples.

Experimented with all three of the 1860s this morning, two with Treso nipples and one with stock Ubertis.  The fit of the 1075s on the stock nipples was loose and I could shake them off with little effort.  The fit on the Tresos was tight and really looking at them, cylinders off the guns, they dont look to be seating fully, hmmm.  

I'm going to try chucking the Treso nipples in a drill/driver and cleaning the exterior surface with crocus cloth or a bronze brush to see what if any difference that makes.  Will also look at getting replacements for current ones.

Hey Pony,

Did you try seating the caps with a dowel?  I got into that habit with my Slix nipples on the 1861s.  It just finishes seating them.  I see them move about 1mm, but that can be the difference between one or two hammer hits to go off, in my own experience.  Slix are supposed to favor Rem 10 but mine prefers Rem 11.  I told Ol No 4 about that out at Winter Range, boy was he surprised!

Archived