SASS Wire Forum

Longhunter Ruger springs

Irish Pat

I just went through multiple changes... there are videos... it's easy...  however with 15 lbs and even with 17 lbs  I started having issues with light strikes on cci primers... ended up sending to a Sgunsmith for full slick up... not all vaqueros are equal and with light weight springs you might get side effects

Power customs YouTube channel will have the video you want to watch. Very simple to do yourself. I run 15lb main springs and 30oz trigger return springs and have zero issues in any of the 3 pairs of rugers using Winchester or federal primers. Ymmv 

Once you take off the grips you'll see a small pin just behind the trigger guard that passes through the trigger spring, Take the legs of the spring off the cross pin at the top rear of the grip frame, then push the smaller pin out from the left to the right, the trigger spring will come out, replace in reverse order and you're done. By the way, check your trading butts thread,I have a grip frame posted there for trade.

triggerpin.jpgr

11 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

I have changed a hammer spring before using a fork but how can you change the trigger spin with taking off the grip frame 

Trigger spring

Remove hammer spring strut. 

Unhook the springs 'legs' from the post. 

Push cross pin out.....

OLG 

23 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

I have changed a hammer spring before using a fork but how can you change the trigger spin with taking off the grip frame 

Trigger spring

I done it like Lumpy said but I’ve also just unhooked the springs from the posts, pushed out the pin and slipped the spring out without removing the hammer strut and spring.  It’s not hard.

Randy 

On 7/20/2021 at 5:45 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

There's a little practical knowledge that helps in replacing the spring on the Hammer Strut. I'm sure YouTube has good videos.

I've spent some time searching in distant corners of my garage for the steel Mainspring Seat in the past, after it slipped out of my pliers and launched under the spring tension. 

Now I use a vise grip to hang onto it while I compress the spring onto the strut.  It works much better than ordinary pliers.  The other end of the strut can be secured in a vise or in a second vise grip, if you're at the range or elsewhere where a vise isn't available. 

Archived