SASS Wire Forum

What situation almost made you quit?

I am fortunate in that I have 7 SASS clubs within a 2.5 hour drive so I have more options than most people.

Early on I had more than one club leave a bad taste in my mouth. For example

One Club uses sign up sheets for posses. First time there, I sign the wife and I up on the list with the fewest shooters only to be told rather rudely that I couldn't shoot on that posse as it was only for certain club members. Was chastised by the MDs wife for buying my wife 92 rather than a Marlin. She also took it on her self to coach my wife's shooting technique. Shot there one other time and did not have enough fun to make it worth the drive.

Another club also didn't make us feel very welcome. Seemed that the posse chores I was doing were claimed by some one else and I was intruding. Haven't been back there either.

Another club has a very rude peanut gallery. The stand in the back and criticize other shooters thinking no one else can hear them.  I was shooting a stage with right to left movement. Hit my rifle butt as i passed by it and it broke the 170. I knew it was an MDQ so I collected my guns and went to the unloading table. Well the peanut gallery wouldn't shut up until the TO told me to my face that I had earned a MDQ. He looked embarrassed and said it in a polite way. So I put up my guns and did posse chores the remainder of the match. What I really wanted to do was walk over and hit a couple of ugly females in the mouth with my rifle butt. But I bit my tongue instead.

There are a few people that my wife will not shoot with. One nitpicks everything my wife does. As he is well liked, we just don't shoot where he does. If he happens to be there we ask to be on a different posse.  What he seems to be oblivious to is that one day he will cross that invisible line and when she gets done with him he'll need an undertaker as it will be too late for an ambulance. 

Those that know me well know I have a really thick skin. However when it comes to my wife papa Grizzly is lurking just below the surface. O'l Arthur itis has caught up with her so tasks like loading her rifle are difficult.  Fortunately those that are my friends look out for her and go out of their way to help her.

On the positive side I shoot at two clubs (One SASS and one NCOWS) that go out of their way to make us both feel welcome. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Someone asked me once why I shot a .45. 

I told him, because they don't make a .75 !!!

...... I'da told him ..... "'cause they don't make a .46!" .......  and then watch the gears turn behind his eyebrows   ;)

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I am fortunate in that I have 7 SASS clubs within a 2.5 hour drive so I have more options than most people.

Early on I had more than one club leave a bad taste in my mouth. For example

One Club uses sign up sheets for posses. First time there, I sign the wife and I up on the list with the fewest shooters only to be told rather rudely that I couldn't shoot on that posse as it was only for certain club members. Was chastised by the MDs wife for buying my wife 92 rather than a Marlin. She also took it on her self to coach my wife's shooting technique. Shot there one other time and did not have enough fun to make it worth the drive.

Another club also didn't make us feel very welcome. Seemed that the posse chores I was doing were claimed by some one else and I was intruding. Haven't been back there either.

Another club has a very rude peanut gallery. The stand in the back and criticize other shooters thinking no one else can hear them.  I was shooting a stage with right to left movement. Hit my rifle butt as i passed by it and it broke the 170. I knew it was an MDQ so I collected my guns and went to the unloading table. Well the peanut gallery wouldn't shut up until the TO told me to my face that I had earned a MDQ. He looked embarrassed and said it in a polite way. So I put up my guns and did posse chores the remainder of the match. What I really wanted to do was walk over and hit a couple of ugly females in the mouth with my rifle butt. But I bit my tongue instead.

There are a few people that my wife will not shoot with. One nitpicks everything my wife does. As he is well liked, we just don't shoot where he does. If he happens to be there we ask to be on a different posse.  What he seems to be oblivious to is that one day he will cross that invisible line and when she gets done with him he'll need an undertaker as it will be too late for an ambulance. 

Those that know me well know I have a really thick skin. However when it comes to my wife papa Grizzly is lurking just below the surface. O'l Arthur itis has caught up with her so tasks like loading her rifle are difficult.  Fortunately those that are my friends look out for her and go out of their way to help her.

On the positive side I shoot at two clubs (One SASS and one NCOWS) that go out of their way to make us both feel welcome. 

I know exactly what you mean. 

Every once in a while I shoot my Winchester 94 Trails End at a match just for grins. Love that gun. It’s slow, but it was my first SASS rifle. Most accurate rifle I own. 
Anyway, I get pretty perturbed by the “well meaning” folks that just will not leave me alone about that rifle. 
Years ago I bought a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Comp .38 because I kept having to replace parts in my 94 and quite honestly, I was sick of hearing “the well meaning” (know-it-all’s) badger me about my 94. 
I had wrung the Marlin out at a shooting range to get used to it and break it in so I knew it was a good fast shooter.

At my first stage at the next match, the guy running the timer, this “well meaning” guy (know-it-all) says to me “You know what you need? You need an 1873 slicked up by so and so and you need to dump that Marlin”….I hadn’t even pulled the trigger on it on the stage!

Man, lemme tell ya, I was hot enough to pop that dude right in the mouth. 
I laid the rifle down (stage started rifle in hand at port arms) and I turned around and loudly went into a diatribe about my rifles people needing to stay out of my business and to shove their “slick it up” recommendations where the sun won’t ever shine. I had HAD ENOUGH!

Anyway, “well meaning” people tend to rub me the wrong way sometimes. 

Another thing that rattles my cage? A rifle jam…then 3 “well meaning” “Gunsmiths” rush in screwdrivers blazing trying to take your Gun away from you to fix it for you….Grrrrrrr

I could go on for an hour about this. 

“Well meaning” folks have run a lot of people off from this sport. Believe me. 

Haven't shot in almost 2 years. Life situation things change. Especially health which was not expected. Getting very close to riding into the sunset. In fact this will be my last post, or close to it. But WOW! what a ride it has been. SASS really gave me something to look forward too. Gotta have a reason to get up each morning. Pray that things don't change like they did for me. Never would want anyone to experience what God put in front of me. He had me exactly where He wanted me and I was so honored. Good Luck to everyone and keep your powder dry.

1 hour ago, Smoken D said:

Haven't shot in almost 2 years. Life situation things change. Especially health which was not expected. Getting very close to riding into the sunset. In fact this will be my last post, or close to it. But WOW! what a ride it has been. SASS really gave me something to look forward too. Gotta have a reason to get up each morning. Pray that things don't change like they did for me. Never would want anyone to experience what God put in front of me. He had me exactly where He wanted me and I was so honored. Good Luck to everyone and keep your powder dry.

Pard, I want to thank you for putting this all in perspective for me. 

Thank you for what you brought to the sport, prayers for you and yours, I wish you well

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Every once in a while I shoot my Winchester 94 Trails End at a match just for grins. Love that gun. It’s slow, but it was my first SASS rifle. Most accurate rifle I own. 
Anyway, I get pretty perturbed by the “well meaning” folks that just will not leave me alone about that rifle. 
Years ago I bought a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Comp .38 because I kept having to replace parts in my 94 and quite honestly, I was sick of hearing “the well meaning” (know-it-all’s) badger me about my 94. 
I had wrung the Marlin out at a shooting range to get used to it and break it in so I knew it was a good fast shooter.

At my first stage at the next match, the guy running the timer, this “well meaning” guy (know-it-all) says to me “You know what you need? You need an 1873 slicked up by so and so and you need to dump that Marlin”….I hadn’t even pulled the trigger on it on the stage!

I laid the rifle down (stage started rifle in hand at port arms) and I turned around and loudly went into a diatribe about my rifles people needing to stay out of my business and to shove their “slick it up” recommendations where the sun won’t ever shine. I had HAD ENOUGH!

Another thing that rattles my cage? A rifle jam…then 3 “well meaning” “Gunsmiths” rush in screwdrivers blazing trying to take your Gun away from you to fix it for you….Grrrrrrr

Oh...the second part!!!

Worse when you are female!!!

My Marlin had a lever screw that was worn.

Long Hunter told me to NEVER lose that screw!!! He tried every screw he had in his shop, and that gun only liked THAT screw!!!

Well. It did not sit flush...if you tightened it to flush, the lever hung up!

WR...we were expediting rifles...

As I am heading to the unloading table, a gent says "hey, I tightened down that loose screw for ya!"

Ugh....

So, as I would not forget at the next stage, I loosened it to where it needed to be.

I cleared my pistol, showed the UT officer, after getting his attention from the guy he was chatting with...got his attentiin again to clear my rifle, and started to pull my 2nd pistol when he waved me off saying "you cleared it, I saw it" and went back to talking.

I was frustrated before going to the table, so took him at his word.

Next stage...loaded pistol 1, went to load the 2nd and couldn't...already full of empties!!!:excl:

SDQ on the best time I had ever gotten at that stage in my game!!!

Several lessons learned

1. Can't fix some folks

2. Let UT officer know you will wait for their undivided attention.

3. I lay down my long guns, and immediately lay both pistols on table with gates OPEN!!!

3 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Prayers

4 hours ago, Smoken D said:

This saddens me, but I truly hope all is well with you and you live in good health and have lots of fun doing whatever it is you wish to do.

Kindest regards, 

PR

Never had the desire or the situation where I wanted to call it quits.  98% of the folks are great and the 2% I just ignore.  I only wish those percentages were elsewhere in life.....

Long live all cowboys and cowgirls, and those who aspire to be.

Allie Mo, I see you are not on the Who's Coming list for the Moro Bay shoot.  This will be my first trip since the great pandemic.  That is almost enough for me to cancel the trip and quit.

4 hours ago, Smoken D said:

You need to stick around long enough for us to meet ftf. My next trip to see my mom I was going to look you up.

Till then you are in my thoughts and prayers.

@Smoken D prayers from here, hope I get to meet you FTF here someday.

I quit outdoor "Bullseye" shooting back in the 90's mostly due to one lady shooter that just couldn't seem to live with my newbie ability. Most folks including her, shot 1911's and I was shooting my only gun--a Ruger 357 revolver. She always seemed to get in the port on my left, even if she had to trade ports to get there. She oiled the hell out of her 1911 which sprayed hot oil and brass all over me. She always made fun of my gun and the loads I was shooting, even when other folks were doing the same. For who knows what reason she just didn't seem to care for me. This was my first shooting competitions as I had just gotten into guns a year earlier.

One day at the end of the match, the b****h walks up to me and asks "Why do you even bother to do this, you will never be competitive?" I typically shot in the 240's and the winners were in the 290's to have a chance. I answered " Because I'm having fun"! She shook her head in disgust and went back to picking on other poor shooters that were just having fun. Being that I was there every match to help set up and tear down, I figured enough was enough and never went back.

Much to my happiness CAS has been a complete opposite with lots of encouragement and help. I so enjoy this game. Even with close targets!

16 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Allie Mo, I see you are not on the Who's Coming list for the Moro Bay shoot.  This will be my first trip since the great pandemic.  That is almost enough for me to cancel the trip and quit.

Well since it fits this thread, I will answer here instead of sending a PM. I am afraid of driving over an hour (that means most annual matches) as I am dizzy when I stand up. I've bumped my head badly twice (ended up in the ER once). I've done that after sitting at my trailer reading too. Also, my neck hurts when I shoot the SG and my hands hurt when I pick brass. And the list goes on. :( I haven't shot since February 2020, pre lockdown.

Go and have fun. I wish I could go too and meet your new fur baby.  :wub: I hope he would like me more than "Killer" did.

PS I've been to several doctors and had a plethora of tests. I just got a PM from someone with similar problems with a solution. So far, that is working well. Thank you @sassnetguy50!)

2 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Well since it fits this thread, I will answer here instead of sending a PM. I am afraid of driving over an hour (that means most annual matches) as I am dizzy when I stand up. I've bumped my head badly twice (ended up in the ER once). I've done that after sitting at my trailer reading too. Also, my neck hurts when I shoot the SG and my hands hurt when I pick brass. And the list goes on. :( I haven't shot since February 2020, pre lockdown.

Go and have fun. I wish I could go too and meet your new fur baby.  :wub: I hope he would like me more than "Killer" did.

PS I've been to several doctors and had a plethora of tests. I just got a PM from someone with similar problems with a solution. So far, that is working well. Thank you @sassnetguy50!)

WOW, bummed to hear of your health issues Allie. I hope all works out for you and you can continue to at least enjoy some local matches. God Bless :wub:.

4 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Prayers Allie!

Yep we are falling apart.  The last match I shot was in February 2020.  Then I started again a few weeks ago.  Certainly not shooting anywhere near what I was just a year and one-half ago.  I can't make the trip non-stop like I use to so am staying in a motel about half-way.  Here's Killer's replacement.  He is a lover.

IMG_1830.JPG

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Yep we are falling apart.  The last match I shot was in February 2020.  Then I started again a few weeks ago.  Certainly not shooting anywhere near what I was just a year and one-half ago.  I can't make the trip non-stop like I use to so am staying in a motel about half-way.  Here's Killer's replacement.  He is a lover.

IMG_1830.JPG

Awwwwwwww!!!

Look at that face!!!

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Heard a lot of the same as I started out with a 92 in 38/357 and a Stevens 311. They were what I could afford at the time. Still shoot the 92 on a regular basis. I still have the 311 but it hasn't been shot in quite a while. Switched to shooting an 87 because it is fun. I have Spencer in 56-50 that I shoot because it is fun. Took it to Wartrace/TN State last year and shot it during the Black Powder side match. Had a couple train wrecks but the fun factor made it worth it. That Spencer even got my mug on national TV. Shooting USA was filming at the match and did a short interview of me and my Spencer. :)

You know...the CAS sport iS aging...no doubt...and with it comes many health issues from physical limitations as well as mental 'sharpness' and endurance!

That might be a thread to start, by someone in that bracket....

It is a touchy subject for some...

But when is it time to think about STOPPING?

I can tell the difference in what I could do 10 years ago in 3 gun and today. Years and mileage add up. Hopefully I have another 15 years for this.

I haven’t shot in several years for a lot of reasons the biggest being my health. I have I hope beaten the cancer but the side effects of the treatments have left me feeling unsafe to shoot. I have moved to the slower pace of black powder on my own small range where I don’t endanger anyone else. Also the game has changed so much that it’s no fun for me the goofy things that made the game fun for ME are long gone lost to the gods of speed with 10-10-4 stages at target distances so close that you can kick them over 

I stay on the wire because I enjoy the people here even the ones that I strongly disagree with, after all how much fun would it be if we all agreed on everything. 
so let’s just keep going down this trail for as long as we can 

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

You have simply got to take care of yourself, and do whatever needs to be done to achieve that. You are important to a lot of us, many of whom you have never, and will never, meet, in person. Everyone makes a difference...a few make a positive difference, and you make a positive difference to so very many. You have no idea. 

You will be put on several prayer lists here, including our Cowboy Church. I'm adding Miss Sue, as well, so you will be on them together. 

We love our S.A.S.S. Ladies!!!

6 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Oh...the second part!!!

Worse when you are female!!!

My Marlin had a lever screw that was worn.

Long Hunter told me to NEVER lose that screw!!! He tried every screw he had in his shop, and that gun only liked THAT screw!!!

Well. It did not sit flush...if you tightened it to flush, the lever hung up!

WR...we were expediting rifles...

As I am heading to the unloading table, a gent says "hey, I tightened down that loose screw for ya!"

Ugh....

So, as I would not forget at the next stage, I loosened it to where it needed to be.

I cleared my pistol, showed the UT officer, after getting his attention from the guy he was chatting with...got his attentiin again to clear my rifle, and started to pull my 2nd pistol when he waved me off saying "you cleared it, I saw it" and went back to talking.

I was frustrated before going to the table, so took him at his word.

Next stage...loaded pistol 1, went to load the 2nd and couldn't...already full of empties!!!:excl:

SDQ on the best time I had ever gotten at that stage in my game!!!

Several lessons learned

1. Can't fix some folks

2. Let UT officer know you will wait for their undivided attention.

3. I lay down my long guns, and immediately lay both pistols on table with gates OPEN!!!

...... so, did the inattentive ULT officer get a SDQ for that stage too ?

......... seems to me that he was at least, if not more, guilty of the "infraction" as you.

And his careless off-handedness ......... well, I'll stop at this point.  :angry:

26 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... so, did the inattentive ULT officer get a SDQ for that stage too ?

......... seems to me that he was at least, if not more, guilty of the "infraction" as you.

And his careless off-handedness ......... well, I'll stop at this point.  :angry:

Thanks, but NO!

I owned it...my responsibility...they are there to make 'sure', but overall, my dime!

I will (and have) had someone I trust to come clear me when UT is not doing their duty.;)

I stopped for almost 5 years.

Just burnt out. Had Lone Star Bullets and going to matches every single weekend

for 4-5 years just burnt me out.

Needed a break. Sold the bullet biz. Was going to just slow down. But took another job

that had way more hours than I expected. So ended up just not shooting at all for about 5 years.

Now semi retired so have time again. 

But glad I came back to it.  Enjoying it again. Traveling and shooting with friends has been great. 

Just now, Anvil Al #59168 said:

I stopped for almost 5 years.

Just burnt out. Had Lone Star Bullets and going to matches every single weekend

for 4-5 years just burnt me out.

Needed a break. Sold the bullet biz. Was going to just slow down. But took another job

that had way more hours than I expected. So ended up just not shooting at all for about 5 years.

Now semi retired so have time again. 

But glad I came back to it.  Enjoying it again. Traveling and shooting with friends has been great. 

And so glad you are!!!! Just make sure you call on your way past Moriarty, we have space for you!!!

6 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Allie, I am so sorry you are having medical problems. If I only had a magic wand…:)

Many years ago I got a good whack on the head. I had a pretty decent concussion. Lots of dizziness and loss of balance. My doctor prescribed Meclizine 25mg for the dizziness. It’s basically motion sickness medicine. It worked. A few years later I was having inner ear infections and problems. I asked my doctor for Meclizine and he declined and gave me something else. That didn’t work so I went to CVS and bought “over the counter” motion sickness tablets containing Meclizine and my dizziness cleared right up. My doctor was surprised, but happy it worked. You may want to ask your doctor if something like this might help you. 

Try being the president and match director of a club, then being bullied by other regional clubs because you let a shooter shoot at your club, a shooter they had banned at their clubs. BTW, the shooter was always appropriate at our club. From talking to other match directors at the time, this bullying and boycotting of clubs is not and isolated incident. This stuff has no place in SASS. Most folks in SASS are good people, but there a few nasty ones out there.

We have shot at clubs from California to Maine and Montana to Texas. We shoot nearly every weekend. There are 3 or 4 clubs I will not return to. Most of them have to do with attitude of the MD or shooters. Some of the best shoots have been Old Timey shoots with the targets out a ways. I don't mind up close and personal but prefer a little distance.

kR

I started shooting SASS in 1997 and I don't think I ever considered quitting.  Back then I would shoot 2-3 matches a month, but now I shoot a couple of annual /state  championship matches and my home club.  I've become a fair weather shooter, no more shooting in the rain, cold or very hot weather.

I used to try and be competitive, but the last year SASS had the modern category made me change my approach.  I wasn't having fun anymore and I was taking things too seriously, which brought out unpleasant parts of my personality that I normally keep buried.  At a state match I ended up with a SDQ for moving with a cocked gun, my fault, but having a TO yelling in my ear to move to the correct spot was not helpful or appreciated.  For better or worse I still won my category (rank time scoring), which didn't really seem fair.

Since then I've tried a couple of different categories in an effort to find the slowest one and have ended up shooting either Frontiersman or FCGF with a heavily loaded 10 gauge as main match shotgun.  Any time my times start getting too good, I'll start pulling both triggers on the 10 and that will usually get my times back to where I want them, in the bottom 10 percent overall.  Things are a lot more fun for me if I don't care about my time.

On edit:  As for those who try and help me "go faster", I tend to be polite to the ones who mean well, as to the others I am not quite rude, but I do get my point across that I have no interest in what they think which tends to discourage further attempts by them and others with a similar approach.

7 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Things are a lot more fun for me if I don't care about my time.

Hear! Hear! :D

I tried to be a good little soldier and allow time to be my driving factor. That didn't work for me. I shoot CAS for fun, not  for competition. If / when I get competitive a match becomes a chore for me.

Others can have their fun with time. I choose not to do that. It works for me...I get a more harmonious outcome. ;)

Archived