SASS Wire Forum

What situation almost made you quit?

On 7/21/2021 at 12:16 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Well since it fits this thread, I will answer here instead of sending a PM. I am afraid of driving over an hour (that means most annual matches) as I am dizzy when I stand up. I've bumped my head badly twice (ended up in the ER once). I've done that after sitting at my trailer reading too. Also, my neck hurts when I shoot the SG and my hands hurt when I pick brass. And the list goes on. :( I haven't shot since February 2020, pre lockdown.

Go and have fun. I wish I could go too and meet your new fur baby.  :wub: I hope he would like me more than "Killer" did.

PS I've been to several doctors and had a plethora of tests. I just got a PM from someone with similar problems with a solution. So far, that is working well. Thank you @sassnetguy50!)

Good luck on your healing, I hope whatever you’re doing works!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One shoot we went to I got a p on a stage for shooting that scenario the way I had shot it at several different places. When I questioned the TO he said that wasn't right. I named several of the places where I had shot that particular sweep that way. His reply was "Well that's not how we do it in our neck of the woods".  I won't be returning there soon.

kR

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

One shoot we went to I got a p on a stage for shooting that scenario the way I had shot it at several different places. When I questioned the TO he said that wasn't right. I named several of the places where I had shot that particular sweep that way. His reply was "Well that's not how we do it in our neck of the woods".  I won't be returning there soon.

kR

Hmmmm...

That's a hard one...

Came across that ourselves.

One club calls it one name, another calls it something else.

6 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

kR

5 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Hmmmm...

That's a hard one...

Sweep names? Damned annoying!

I refuse to allow the TO to read a stage and name a sweep without asking for the sweep scenario or steps in the sweep. I cannot remember what a club in Oregon called it but I knew it as the Lawrence Welk sweep. Anyway, I thought they meant something else and got a “P”.
No biggie, but from them on when they said “with the rifle do  a ‘you’re  not in our clique’ sweep from left to right…” I always wait until the script is read and then ask “What’s a (blank) sweep? What are the steps?

I have actually had people look at me like I am an idiot or comment that I am something similar. My response is usually not very nice. 

I did try memorizing sweep names but after a while I gave up. 

6 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Hmmmm...

That's a hard one...

It was not what they called it that was lacking. They gave the description and there were several ways to shoot it. They just did not like the way I shot it.

kR

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

It was not what they called it that was lacking. They gave the description and there were several ways to shoot it. They just did not like the way I shot it.

kR

Oh...that is more clear.

Yup...if not SPECIFIC in the stage description, it should be a "yes you can" (shoot it like that) situation.

See you at CAC?

On 7/20/2021 at 7:57 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That’s funny, I had similar advice <SNIP>
I smiled, pointed at my badge and said “Read that badge number.”

He did. His face flushed and then I said “Thank you, but you’ve bothered me enough today.”

I am going to remember that line.

Haven't shot but one match since 2015.  Retired and moved hours away to a place that has only one club, and they seem like fine people as well, but haven't felt the motivation.  Age and physical limitations are a wee part of it, but more is that it just got boring, and tireing waiting on stage set ups, and on and on (5 hours at the range to shoot for  2.5 minutes total gets tedious) . . . . Lately I seem to be gravitating to steel challenge, and sailing.   

I've only had two incidents that bugged me enough to get mad - at one range some fellow decided to explain to me that my .45 Colt loads were too hot for his liking and too loud (Titegroup loaded to 730 f/s), he was worried about their steel and the noise (I've been reloading .45 since 1976)!  At another, this time a regional, some fellow came up and explained to me how I was supposed to shoot the stage, as I was about to be called to the line and while I was mentally preparing for my shooting it.  Only miss for two days was because that well meaning clown broke my concentration.

My biggest issue, and it has been that since circa mid 2000's is the 10,10,4 bit and the "must shoot it this way" bit.  I miss the fun we had in the 90's and into the mid 2000's! How about letting me figure it out and shoot it the way I feel like?  Want to make Shotgun last gun fired - okay I get it, but everything else is just rote memorization of a variety or reshuffled cards.

The people of SASS are my friends, and I enjoy being around them a lot, but when I moved so far away I new that was going to be an end to most times with them.  I still take my Colt's out, and my 92, and I shoot steel challenge with them occasionally!

I may well get back to shooting CAS, but if not I can stay on line and read about the exploits of those who still do, and that's good too!

Shadow Catcher

On 7/20/2021 at 10:34 PM, DocWard said:

I've heard of the old fun stages, but I joined late enough that I can't actually miss them. I would love to try one or two, though.

Drive on up to Bristol, Indiana!  Wolff's Rowdy Rangers are hosting their 11th annual Shootout at Shakey's Gulch in September.

Application:  http://wolffsrowdyrangers.com/Information/SSG_XI.PDF

Video of last years 10th annual:   At 4:22 is a view of their "Super Stage, two stages combined into one.   At 7:21 is Boss Outlaw shooting the Super Stage.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:12 PM, Kid Rich said:

kR

Don't let one cowpoke rile you up.  Life is too short for that.

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Drive on up to Bristol, Indiana!  Wolff's Rowdy Rangers are hosting their 11th annual Shootout at Shakey's Gulch in September.

Application:  http://wolffsrowdyrangers.com/Information/SSG_XI.PDF

Video of last years 10th annual:   At 4:22 is a view of their "Super Stage, two stages combined into one.   At 7:21 is Boss Outlaw shooting the Super Stage.

Looks like a whole lot of fun! It also looks like a whole lot more than four firearms! It won't happen this year, because I just started a new job at the beginning of the year, and I won't be eligible for vacation time until after the first of the year. But... I will definitely need to keep it on my radar. If I make it, I hope they have room for tents!

6 hours ago, DocWard said:

Looks like a whole lot of fun! It also looks like a whole lot more than four firearms! It won't happen this year, because I just started a new job at the beginning of the year, and I won't be eligible for vacation time until after the first of the year. But... I will definitely need to keep it on my radar. If I make it, I hope they have room for tents!

Room for tents, absolutely!  Hope to see you down the trail.

You mean other than not knowing I had adult onset asthma and my backside was draggin' so bad you could hear the scrape as I walked -- or the kidney stone that insisted on attacking me at the unloading table?  (I bent over on agony and scared the poor unloading officer near to death, he thought I was having a heart attack!)

I am a patient and longsuffering man, and it takes a great deal to get on my wrong side, but at one shoot, one RO did, with one try, and that was almost it for me.

The only time I nearly quit -- I didn't come back for a year -- the RO told me not to do "that", but didn't tell me what "that" was.

"Holsters" were inner tube pockets nailed to the dash of a wagon bed, revolvers staged in these "holsters" ... after dismounting from the "wagon" the shooter removed one revolver at a time and addressed the targets.

When I did, my muzzles were consistently downrange -- I'm a past police firearms instructor, dear old Dad was a gunsmith, gun safety was taught at a very tender age and ever since -- and my muzzles were consistently downrange.

The RO said "Don't do that again."

Since the RO never made it clear what he didn't like, I did it again and he threatened to throw me off the range.

I packed my goods and left: I'd just been insulted, but I do NOT argue with the RO, even if he's wrong.

When I came back -- just over a year later -- God help me, the same RO, the same wagon, the same inner tube pockets, so I went on the offensive.
I turned to the RO before mounting the wagon and I said quietly, "Last time I shot this stage, there was some problem with the way I retrieved my revolvers. What do YOU want to see when I retrieve them?"

He seemed honestly surprised and said he wanted the SHOOTER facing downrange when he retrieved the revolvers.

Not the muzzles.

The shooter.

I faced downrange during retrieval and there was no problem, but to this day, if he's RO, I won't shoot.

56 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

You mean other than not knowing I had adult onset asthma and my backside was draggin' so bad you could hear the scrape as I walked -- or the kidney stone that insisted on attacking me at the unloading table?  (I bent over on agony and scared the poor unloading officer near to death, he thought I was having a heart attack!)

I am a patient and longsuffering man, and it takes a great deal to get on my wrong side, but at one shoot, one RO did, with one try, and that was almost it for me.

The only time I nearly quit -- I didn't come back for a year -- the RO told me not to do "that", but didn't tell me what "that" was.

"Holsters" were inner tube pockets nailed to the dash of a wagon bed, revolvers staged in these "holsters" ... after dismounting from the "wagon" the shooter removed one revolver at a time and addressed the targets.

When I did, my muzzles were consistently downrange -- I'm a past police firearms instructor, dear old Dad was a gunsmith, gun safety was taught at a very tender age and ever since -- and my muzzles were consistently downrange.

The RO said "Don't do that again."

Since the RO never made it clear what he didn't like, I did it again and he threatened to throw me off the range.

I packed my goods and left: I'd just been insulted, but I do NOT argue with the RO, even if he's wrong.

When I came back -- just over a year later -- God help me, the same RO, the same wagon, the same inner tube pockets, so I went on the offensive.
I turned to the RO before mounting the wagon and I said quietly, "Last time I shot this stage, there was some problem with the way I retrieved my revolvers. What do YOU want to see when I retrieve them?"

He seemed honestly surprised and said he wanted the SHOOTER facing downrange when he retrieved the revolvers.

Not the muzzles.

The shooter.

I faced downrange during retrieval and there was no problem, but to this day, if he's RO, I won't shoot.

Cocky little.....

12 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Don't let one cowpoke rile you up.  Life is too short for that.

That was the MD.

Not the complete story.

I don't mind a p when I earn it, in fact today I got one on purpose, even told the TO I was gonna get one.

kR

I got a P on the second stage of today’s Missouri Blackpowder Championship match.  I wrote the stages, doesn’t mean I remember them!

:ph34r:

On 7/23/2021 at 10:37 AM, ShadowCatcher said:

- at one range some fellow decided to explain to me that my .45 Colt loads were too hot for his liking and too loud (Titegroup loaded to 730 f/s), he was worried about their steel and the noise (I've been reloading .45 since 1976)! 

Interesting. I had very similar incidents in Oregon and in SoCal.
You see, I load my Cowboy loads as if they would be something that I could rely on if I had a real life Cowboy, or other, situation. My SASS loads could definitely be relied for self defense or ???

I was shooting my .45 Vaqueros. The load is a 205 grain Bear Creek Supply RNFP over 7.7 grains of Universal. This load runs about 900 FPS out of a 7.5” barrel. When it hits, it hits. I like shooting it. 
The fella in Oregon got the Match Director and they questioned me about my loads. I explained they were SASS legal. The MD agreed. I offered him a box to test with a chronograph with my guns. He looked something up on his phone and said “you’re sure you use 7.7 grains?”

”Yep!”

”You’re good to go. Have fun.” 
The other guys wasn’t happy. 
“He might be damaging our steel!”

The MD told him to give it a rest and that was the end of that. 
But, the male Mrs Kravitz bugged me at every match over something or other until one day I whispered to him “If you bug me any more about anything you and I are going behind the storage sheds for some calisthenics.”

He stayed away from me after that. 

In SoCal my loads were questioned. I explained the recipe and the TO said “Man they sure hit hard and are loud”

I said “I guess they would be as no one around shoots anything but mouse fart loads!”:D

He didn’t laugh. I did. :lol:

Many years ago Mr Venturino wrote that he shot cowboy like this. The timer operator says stand by, the timer goes beep, and a war party of screaming Comanches comes racing over the berm.

He said would you be satisfied with what you had in your guns? I always have been. I don't shoot mouse farts. The theory of "shooting 45s", but loading 180 grain bullets at 650 ft per second, so when they're fired they go "poop", and when they hit the target they go "ting" - why bother shooting 45s? Shoot 32 short and be done with it.

Pat Riot.

It has a lot to do with perception. If you run the same 900 fps load out of a rifle you'll likely be closer to 1100 fps and without hearing complaints.  The rifle targets are only a couple of steps behind the revolver targets. The target doesn't know if it was hit with a bullet from a revolver or a rifle but people perceive that the revolver ammo is much hotter.

Also they seem hotter because of the light loads commonly used in SASS. 

I didn't quit shooting but I stopped shooting SASS matches for about 7 years due to the actions of a MD.  I rarely shoot at that club some 20+ years later even though it's fairly close.  Don't get me wrong, it's a fine club with good folks but once you get a bad taste in your mouth, it never seems to totally go away.  

Boredom, bad calls, and splatter are my biggest complaints at the moment.  10-10-4 on every stage with the same old sweeps are getting old.  AND, it seems of late, more and more bad calls are being made so debate has to happen to get things right.  Target splatter irritates me to no end so I am less enthusiastic about even attending. 

I shoot for fun and right now, it's not as much fun as it used to be.  Could it be made more fun?  Sure, but no one wants to deviate from the rut they've dug themselves into.  It may be time for me to go on the road again.  

On 7/21/2021 at 5:53 AM, Smoken D said:

Haven't shot in almost 2 years. Life situation things change. Especially health which was not expected. Getting very close to riding into the sunset. In fact this will be my last post, or close to it. But WOW! what a ride it has been. SASS really gave me something to look forward too. Gotta have a reason to get up each morning. Pray that things don't change like they did for me. Never would want anyone to experience what God put in front of me. He had me exactly where He wanted me and I was so honored. Good Luck to everyone and keep your powder dry.

So sad but so well said. You were kind enough to invite us to your home after just a phone call, and we enjoyed your company. Call anytime.

Thank you for your kindness and your friendship.

Lawdog and Shortcake

I left SASS about 12 years ago. I had a hard time with the same people winning all the time, there didn’t seem to be a point in competing. The posses were supposed to be sign up, but friends were allowed to sign up other friends and people who weren’t even there yet got to shoot with their friends. It felt very cliquey, and those “cool” posses always seemed to have the best scores. 
I also had a hard time with being at a match for 6 hours and shooting for 6 minutes. 
I’ll check out a match if I’m in the area, but I won’t compete. 

I quit competing about 10 years ago.  The targets are too close, the gamers have taken over and it's 10-10-4, 10-10-4, 10-10-4..................  I just shoot it my way, casual.  I always come in last but who cares.

I didnt quit, but I had a delayed start.

The first match I ever tried to go to.  I read how sass was friendly and all.  24, Just married and broke as all get out.  I had a pretty ugly set up. Two mismatched clones, two belts and holsters I put together from hunting gear. A pouch for shotgun shells,  a really beat up borrowed 92, and a shiny brand new steoger.     My cart was just a box strapped to a dolly. 

As I was unpacking and getting ready.  A club official walked over.  I was really nervous.    He walked up and asked why i was there, and I told him I wanted to try shooting cowboy.

I'll change the words used to keep it clean, but his response was why would I waste everybody's time shooting the crap I had.  At first I waited to see if he was joking... when I realized he was serious I just packed up and left.  

It was two years before I tried again at a different club.

My dad did quit.  He is about having fun, and for him   That's not shooting fast.  just enjoying the guns.   People kept coming up telling him what he had to do to shoot faster.  After explaining what he enjoyed many times, at several clubs.  He just said enough is enough. He hasn't been back since. It's a real shame because hes better than I am.  We still shoot together at one of our ranges in the back yard fairly often.   When he decides to let them roll he can shoot a full house .45 faster than I can shoot my cowboy .38s. 

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Question.

Does anyone know what the actual distance in feet the targets at EOT were from the firing lie?  I don't want a guess but an actual distance.  

Couldn't tell ya, Dave, but they do look kinda close ~ not like 25 years ago!

But heck... shots at the O. K. Corral were closer!

Alfredo Rodriguez | Gunfight at the OK Corral (2013) | MutualArt

Thinking back to 1993 when I started playing this game brings back mostly wonderful memories of good times and great people. This game has been my life since then, and a good one too.  In all that time there has only been two situations that have prompted me to stop shooting a match. Once many years ago was because of outright CHEATING by a couple guys that were working the system. The other was more recently at a match that had stage after stage of STUPID sweeps that just became so irritating and frustrating that I decided to stop wasting ammo on something that I was not enjoying so I quit shooting the match. I did stay around and help. Old Age and longevity in the game plays a part of getting frustrated I'm sure. Change is difficult for some of us. It is often a needed, and it usually takes new Blood to see where it is needed. I sure don't always like it, but do see some need. Those making the changes however need to respect the Game, the Rules and remember those that made all of this possible. When that doesn't happen, it tends to make me want to Hang up my Spurs. 

There have been some valid points made, and some that are maybe not valid to others, but valid to the one.

We need to remember there is room here for all...

Those who do it for fun

Those who compete

Those who dress to the 9s

Those who simply don't

Those who shoot heavy (within SHB limits) 

Those who shoot light (within SHB limits)

Those Newbies

Those Oldies

We should all do our best to treat ech other in the manner we want to be treated.

We all razz each other, joke around, help, ect...

just weigh whom we are with at the time...;)

Point:

Several of these have the story behind it that tells me we are NOT always 'playing' the same game accross the country...

We need to follow the rules across the board...it would make the "my club doesn't do that" confusions not be an issue.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:34 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Interesting. I had very similar incidents in Oregon and in SoCal.
You see, I load my Cowboy loads as if they would be something that I could rely on if I had a real life Cowboy, or other, situation. My SASS loads could definitely be relied for self defense or ???

I was shooting my .45 Vaqueros. The load is a 205 grain Bear Creek Supply RNFP over 7.7 grains of Universal. This load runs about 900 FPS out of a 7.5” barrel. When it hits, it hits. I like shooting it. 
The fella in Oregon got the Match Director and they questioned me about my loads. I explained they were SASS legal. The MD agreed. I offered him a box to test with a chronograph with my guns. He looked something up on his phone and said “you’re sure you use 7.7 grains?”

”Yep!”

”You’re good to go. Have fun.” 
The other guys wasn’t happy. 
“He might be damaging our steel!”

The MD told him to give it a rest and that was the end of that. 
But, the male Mrs Kravitz bugged me at every match over something or other until one day I whispered to him “If you bug me any more about anything you and I are going behind the storage sheds for some calisthenics.”

He stayed away from me after that. 

In SoCal my loads were questioned. I explained the recipe and the TO said “Man they sure hit hard and are loud”

I said “I guess they would be as no one around shoots anything but mouse fart loads!”:D

He didn’t laugh. I did. :lol:

There are people active on this site who have stated that shooting anything but light 105 or 125 grain .38's is just plain rude, as it's not necessary, causes excessive splatter, noise, and damages the steel. :mellow:

Foul mouthed Posse Marshal, whose language drove away some observers, women with kids in tow etc.

Now, I've been known to use the same words myself, but not as a steady flow and almost every other word an F bomb even in casual conversation.

Archived