SASS Wire Forum

Kind of sad

I'm following an online auction and one of the lots has a shooters lifetime badge as one of the items in the lot.  The auction is local to me, the owner is somewhat local to me but I have no idea who he is, alias or by real name.  I'm sure I have shot with him somewhere as I make the rounds to the different clubs but I still don't know him.  Just makes me kind of sad that he would let his badge go like this.  I intend to give mine to my kids who shoot.  His cowboy guns however are selling at handsome prices.  I may end up with his coach gun (not that I need another coach gun).  I may try to find out who the "lucky" buyer is and see if they have any interest in selling the badge to me.  Just because.

"Just makes me kind of sad that he would let his badge go like this"

Since those are his thoughts, so be it.  If you want it, start bidding. Then, it's yours. Good luck,.... gr

1 minute ago, GhostRider, #73 SASSLIFE said:

"Just makes me kind of sad that he would let his badge go like this"

Since those are his thoughts, so be it.  If you want it, start bidding. Then, it's yours. Good luck,.... gr

I did  but once it got past $60.00 I backed off.  The lot had a couple of miniature SAA revolvers and some kind of rubber band powered BB gun.  I have no interest in the BB gun.  The miniatures, maybe.  I'll see if the auctioneer will give me the name of the buyer and see if they will sell it to me.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Auction?

Estate Auction, maybe?

Did the SASS Lifer pass, and kids are selling?

Hmmmmm.....

No, the auctioneer said he is very much alive.  Just selling his stuff.  I asked.  Politely.   (Is he daid?)  No.  I asked if "he was still with us".  Auctioneer said I could give him a call.  Seller left that open to anyone that had questions.  Maybe I'll get his number later and quiz him down.

The hard truth is that trophies, badges and the like (usually) only have meaning to the person who won or bought them.  The reason that he is selling his badge and other items is solely his business. Sometimes when some folks are done with a game/sport...they are done.....kind of like a divorce.:(

13 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Sometimes when some folks are done with a game/sport...they are done..

That's what I was thinking.

You frequently see threads in the classifieds - "I'm getting out of the game." And they're selling guns and clothes and hats and leather and gun carts. They're not going to play cowboy anymore, so they don't need cowboy guns or cowboy clothes or etc.

I paid $400 for that yellow badge.1361765768_BarbecueRig3.jpg.4be538216916ba204abda11711de709f.jpg If I had absolutely no interest left in cowboy shooting, it would make no more sense for me to keep that badge then it would for me to keep a gun cart. I doubt anybody would pay me $400 for it, but 50 or 60 would be nice.

Added: Although why anyone would wish to buy someone else's badge doesn't really make sense to me. Buying my guns or my leather? Totally understandable. My clothes or my gun cart? Sure. Probably cheaper than buying new ones. My hat? I wouldn't buy somebody else's hat. Head lice travels in hats. Something my momma learned me when I was a wee little boy. And I wouldn't buy somebody else's boots. Even if they wear the same size shoe, their foot is not going to make the same impression in the sole as yours would.

But their badge?

Curious... what was the badge number?

I once lost my Life Member badge at a "Civil War Revisited" event near Fresno.  I was devastated, of course, and was hopeful that some kind soul would have picked it up and handed it in at Lost and Found.

No such luck.  Someone went home with a "pretty souvenir."  :(

And yes, I have a replacement.  Never want to replace it again!

18 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Curious... what was the badge number?

I once lost my Life Member badge at a "Civil War Revisited" event near Fresno.  I was devastated, of course, and was hopeful that some kind soul would have picked it up and handed it in at Lost and Found.

No such luck.  Someone went home with a "pretty souvenir."  :(

And yes, I have a replacement.  Never want to replace it again!

The number was/is 42886.

I can understand why one would think that it's  sad that someone is selling their badge and such, but I agree with @Cypress Sunperhaps he is just "Done" and that's all there is to it.

Personally, my idea of the best thing that could ever happen to my badge is some kid  wears it while playing  Cowboys and Indians. That would make me  happy. :D

Archived