SASS Wire Forum

Clean shot 12g loads?

El Muerto Negro

So I typically shoot Winchester low noise when available.  When not I run 7/8 grey wad  loaded with Clays or clay dot. Can't find that so looking into clean shot. Whats your experience and is there a good load using 7/8? Can't remember if loading data can be shared so PM me or email at rahl1969@gmail.com 

Thank you

EMN

Based on Scarlett's page and her recommendation I went with 14.1 of CS, Gray CB wads, Win 209, and 7/8 oz of #7 1/2 in STS hulls. Jersey Bratt likes the moderate recoil, I like the ease of loading.  win-win

EDIT- I started using CS for 38/357 cowboy loads when my then go-to powder became no longer available. I have since expanded use to ,44 sp and mag cowboy loads, .45c, .45acp and even 9mm, plus 12 ga

Imis

Shooter's World Clean Shot has been my go to powder for shotgun for some time.  Very versatile powder and works very well for both pistol and shotgun.  I settled on ~15 grains, which is the #18 powder bushing when using my MEC Sizemaster (actual drop will vary, you should test).  Using 7/8 oz of #8 shot, Clay Buster Gray Wad WAA12L, Winchester once fired AA HS hulls, and any 209 primer I can get.  Similar in feel and performance to Winchester LRLN.  No issues with the above load with my SKB.

The data below is from a thread on this forum, sorry I don't have the link.

Shooter’s World Clean Shot Powder, AA Hull, 209 primer, Clays grey wad, WAA12L

7/8 oz. shot

13.5 grs averaged 850 fps

15 grs averaged 920 fps

16 grs averaged 975 fps

14.1 grs, 7/8 oz #8 shot, CB Gray wad

13 to 16 grs with 1 oz of #7.5 or #8 shot, Win WAA12SL wad, AA Hull, any 209 primer

On 7/20/2021 at 9:55 AM, El Muerto Negro said:

So I typically shoot Winchester low noise when available.  When not I run 7/8 grey wad  loaded with Clays or clay dot. Can't find that so looking into clean shot. Whats your experience and is there a good load using 7/8? Can't remember if loading data can be shared so PM me or email at rahl1969@gmail.com 

Thank you

EMN

I was able to order Extralite recently from Powder Valley. I use it on your 7/8 of #8 shot, grey wads and Winchester brass head hulls. While out of Extralite, I tried some Clays and found it to measure and shoot the same as my Extralite setup. You should be able use Extralite without changing anything else on your Clays setup, same MEC bushing for example, not necessarily the weight.

13 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Based on Scarlett's page and her recommendation I went with 14.1 of CS, Gray CB wads, Win 209, and 7/8 oz of #7 1/2 in STS hulls. Jersey Bratt likes the moderate recoil, I like the ease of loading.  win-win

EDIT- I started using CS for 38/357 cowboy loads when my then go-to powder became no longer available. I have since expanded use to ,44 sp and mag cowboy loads, .45c, .45acp and even 9mm, plus 12 ga

Imis

^^THIS^^ y’all need to listen to Imis!  He didn’t question me! He just followed my recommendations! #BeLikeImis :P

Seriously, Thanks for the feedback. Glad you’re finding it so versatile. That, in addition to its fine metering, is what I love about Clean Shot! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

I'm with Imis, on the extremely rare occasion when I use that heathen smokeyless stuff it's Clean Shot; meters very well and makes nice light recoil load in a bunch of calibers.

What MEC bushing do Y'all use for Clean Shot? I called MEC and they didn't even know what Clean Shot was.I recommended that they find out and list it on their bushing chart.

7 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

What MEC bushing do Y'all use for Clean Shot? I called MEC and they didn't even know what Clean Shot was.I recommended that they find out and list it on their bushing chart.

See my post above, #18 averaged 15 grs on my MEC Sizemaster for my reloading process.  I used a 10 drop average, a Pard that loads on a MEC 9000 dropped about 0.3 grs less, another Pard on a MEC 600 dropped about 0.2 grs more on a 10 drop average.  Use a scale and test, you also need to use the brass washer to prevent powder leakage.

7 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

I load on Dillons so I cant help you there, sorry

Imis

On 7/22/2021 at 6:01 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I will say that in the Lee Loader, CS "slips through" the cracks in the loaded and gets all over the bench.

Wish that didn't happen.

I wish that didn’t happen… maybe there’s a way you can seal those cracks… 

Hugs!

Scarlett

On 7/21/2021 at 9:33 PM, Scarlett said:

^^THIS^^ y’all need to listen to Imis!  He didn’t question me! He just followed my recommendations! #BeLikeImis :P

Seriously, Thanks for the feedback. Glad you’re finding it so versatile. That, in addition to its fine metering, is what I love about Clean Shot! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

I'm sold.  Next time our paths cross Scarlett I'll want to buy at least 4 lbs and maybe 8lbs....and I'll want two hugs if I get 8 lbs.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I'm sold.  Next time our paths cross Scarlett I'll want to buy at least 4 lbs and maybe 8lbs....and I'll want two hugs if I get 8 lbs.

Besides buying more CS for myself, I should get an "Endorsement" hug.

Imis  who just loaded 200 more .38 cowboy loads today

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Besides buying more CS for myself, I should get an "Endorsement" hug.

Imis  who just loaded 200 more .38 cowboy loads today

Y’all are hysterical. It’s FREE HUG with PURCHASE!! If @Captain Bill BurtBUYS 2 jugs in ONE transaction… that’s ONE HUG! :D  Ask @Krazy Kajun he made TWO purchases yesterday. Two SEPARATE transactions so he got TWO HUGS! 

HOWEVER… if you need two hugs and @Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646, if you need ENDORSEMENT hugs… YOU GOT IT! :wub: 

HUGS!!

Scarlett

By the way… I do not have any Clean Shot and won’t until probably October. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Y’all are hysterical. It’s FREE HUG with PURCHASE!! If @Captain Bill BurtBUYS 2 jugs in ONE transaction… that’s ONE HUG! :D  Ask @Krazy Kajun he made TWO purchases yesterday. Two SEPARATE transactions so he got TWO HUGS! 

HOWEVER… if you need two hugs and @Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646, if you need ENDORSEMENT hugs… YOU GOT IT! :wub: 

HUGS!!

Scarlett

Yeah but I didn’t get all I had coming, shoulda got 2 endcap hugs and one shotgun hug, you can just owe me, for now! ;)

Kajun

11 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I wish that didn’t happen… maybe there’s a way you can seal those cracks… 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Yeah, me too. I'm sure its a combination of it being a very fine grained powder and I'm using a $50 shotshell reloader. Lol 

It's ok, I just need to clean up more often.

Archived