SASS Wire Forum

Jeff Bezos into space today

Rye Miles #13621

Musk, Bezos and Branson all got taxpayer money.

Their initial efforts were partially funded as a way to eliminate our reliance on the Russians. That is how the defense and space programs innovate, develop, and upgrade.

A combination of government and private funds pays for the initial R&D in just about every government program.. 

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... does that hat make him a Cowboy too ?  :huh:

Do cowboy hats make us cowboys?!:o

On 7/20/2021 at 7:43 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Well, that was interesting.  And fast.  

I'm somewhat amazed at how jaded we are about these things.  In 1961 it would have been a stunning accomplishment.  Now many will shrug and say, "Is that all?"

Wally Funk...SASS member!

Toas Kid...

And she got her ride!!!

On 7/20/2021 at 10:24 AM, Hendo said:

I'm gonna just set myself in the jaded catagory. I was kind of interested in the launch and took a second before leaving for work to watch. I figured I would hear about it when I got to the shop.

Heck, it was over before I got to my front door. 

I'm just gonna say that wasn't anything more than a rocket powered express elevator to nowhere. I won't call them astronauts, either. They were cargo. (Even though the lady actually is an astronaut.)

Just sayin....

And a SASS member!!! Toas Kid!!!

1 minute ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yup.

I started a feed with an article from Women And Guns (?) 

Jersey Kid sent us the article tonight.

It's under Wally Funk.

Sweet. I'll have to scope it out. Thanks.

Well, according to the FAA these four are NOT ASTRONAUTS!  And the FAA refuses to award them civilian astronaut wings!  Why?  Because there was no pilot on board...the flight was all automatic. Talk about bureaucratic idiocy.  They flew above the internationally-recognized Karman line (100km = 62.5 miles).  By that criteria, the Federation Aeronautic Internationale, should revoke the status of Yuri Gagarin and Gherman Titov as having orbited the Earth,  because they did not land in their spacecraft. (They both did planned ejections from their capsules because the Soviets hadn't perfected their landing capabilities at that point.)  Virgin Galactic should not be recognized as attaining a record because their Spaceship II did not take off under its own power, but was launched from an airborne mothership.  And Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier in the X-1 didn't qualify for an aircraft speed record for the same reason.  Neither should the X-15 pilot who broke the 50 mile mark, for the same reason!  BALDERDASH!  (Or similar sentiment!)  The FAA is also hassling SpaceX for building the launch tower for its Spaceship without prior permission!  Maybe these bureaucraps ought to take a ride themselves and after a change of underwear might think about whether people who go up deserve to call themselves "astronauts:! :angry: 

Archived