SASS Wire Forum

minor hiccup with a new Remlin 94

I picked up a late production marlin 1894C at auction.  I have slicked it up quite a bit by polishing the bolt, lever and changing springs and firing pin.  The only issue is it has an occasional catch when I open the lever at about the first 1 inch of down stroke of the lever.  I looks to me like the hook on the lever right above the keeper plunger hangs up on the locking bolt.  It only does it once in a while otherwise the gun is quite smooth for a remlin.  any idea what it needs?

As Lumpy mentioned, that would be one of the 1st things to check because its real easy to

verify:   cock your hammer and then work the action to see if you still get the same "catch".

Or just remove the stock and hammer spring and then work the action.   With no pressure

on the hammer, it will also indicate if its the hammer/bolt connection.

If you think its the connection between the lever hook and the bolt safety lug hook, remove

the safety lug from the rifle and then work the lever.

NOTE:  DO NOT FIRE THE RIFLE WITHOUT THAT LUG BACK IN IT.   Testing the rifle without

the lug is just for testing purposes only while rifle is unloaded.

There is one other item that could cause that 'catch', as you mentioned.

When the lever is opening, the Bolt Safety Lug is suppose to be falling down and

out from its 'cut out' position on the bottom of the bolt.

IF your Safety Lug is not falling in a timely manner, the bolt can not move rearward and this

will "catch" your lever and give a slight hesitation (or stop) of working the lever downward.

If this is the situation, there are a couple things that will fix it.  You might have to slightly

work on the bolt or the lug...... OR BOTH.

I can properly advise after you give us more information.

..........Widder

There is one other item that could cause that 'catch', as you mentioned.

When the lever is opening, the Bolt Safety Lug is suppose to be falling down and

out from its 'cut out' position on the bottom of the bolt.

I think this may be the issue

it hangs up with the hammer cocked and if I lever it while the rifle is on its side or upside down it will hang up more often.  If i hit the top of the receiver with my hand after a hang up the rifle will finish the cycle.

13 minutes ago, Middlefork Bob, SASS #53945 said:

it hangs up with the hammer cocked and if I lever it while the rifle is on its side or upside down it will hang up more often.  If i hit the top of the receiver with my hand after a hang up the rifle will finish the cycle.

This is normal. ;)

The safety block needs gravity to function 'rite'.

OLG 

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

This is normal. ;)

The safety block needs gravity to function 'rite'.

OLG 

Yep.

BOB,

if that safety lug doesn't freely move up and down in its slot, then its too tight.

OR...you could have a burr in the rifle causing the hesitation.

OR... the bolt cutout could be undersized.

BUT, here is the situation:  you gotta be careful about poslishing the areas of that lug

and bolt because that lug is important to your headspace on the rifle.

Most lugs or slightly (only a few .000's) oversized and can be safely polished.  BUT,

without seeing the rifle, I can't advise on this procedure nor how much is 'safe'.

If you have a good, local 'Marlin' smith, ask him/her to check it out for you.

I see you live in Illinois.  One of the best Marlin smiths in the country lives in Ill.   He's a cowboy shooter

name Cowboy Carty.   Another top Marlin person is Billy the Avenger, although he isn't a 

smith by profession.

..........Widder

7 hours ago, Middlefork Bob, SASS #53945 said:

Does cowboy carty have a business contact?

I think he does.....but I don't have that contact number.   Sorri.

..........Widder

Archived