SASS Wire Forum

Plainsman at State BP matches

Artemus Von Schutze

Is there any consensus in offering plainsman category at BP/State BP matches? It seems like a great time for it. Do many clubs/matches offer this?

If you're going to shoot black powder, might as well go all out and let people shoot Plainsman. Is having some targets further back the hold up?

The 2021 Oregon State BP Championship is offering Plainsman as a both a Main Match category and a sidematch.

FLYER 

SCHEDULE

APPLICATION

Great to hear, MO is offering it as well for main match. In looking around at our neighbors, I wasn't seeing much else and was curious which direction was the norm, or if there was some reason to not offer it in the main match.

No reason to not offer it other than target distance limitations (as you mentioned).
Plainsman as a Main Match category for sanctioned BP Shootouts is one of the reasons there are no "Overall" buckles provided by SASS.
Category winners are awarded pins.

PaleWolf, I was aware they award pins instead of buckles, but I was not aware this was a component of why. Genuinely curious, why is that a factor? Is it just because Plainsman is not a standard main match category?

Thanks for the information. 

ROOP County Days offers Plainsman as a side match But wait....

Our 12 stage cowboy shoot also has 4 categories for big bore single and lever action rifles shooting the 12 stages. Smokeless and BP. We call it Tom Horn. About 1/3 of the shooters shoot the Tom Horn categories.

1 hour ago, Artemus Von Schutze said:

PaleWolf, I was aware they award pins instead of buckles, but I was not aware this was a component of why. Genuinely curious, why is that a factor? Is it just because Plainsman is not a standard main match category?

Thanks for the information. 

Lever-action repeating rifles w/10 rounds vs. Single-shots  firing <10 (usually on a different set of targets) = "Not shooting the same match."

Archived